Tech Note: Mods need to have their PrimalGameData named "PrimalGameData*" to function as a mod!

Hey all,

As of v190, Mods need to have their PrimalGameData asset contain the string “PrimalGameData” at the START of the asset name, in order to function properly on dedicated servers and be listed in the “Mod” section of the UI (such as “PrimalGameData_MyModWhatever”). Sorry that we forgot to mention this, it’s a little hack for now to allow us to find the right gamedata asset for the mod to use. We’ll do away with this requirement later, but if you have that missing, it will cause the Mod to be listed as a Map within the game UI, and also then it indeed won’t load properly when used as a Mod on a dedicated server. This will be cleaned up via a dedicated Cook button for Mods vs Maps going forward so we don’t have to rely on our name checking hack.

Also note, on August 13 we’ll be releasing “Total Conversion” functionality, which will let you completely override all of the gamedata/game-assets directly, rather than subclassing them. You can even swap out the main menu and loading screens with this new system – truly every file of the game except the executables! The only limitation to this Total Conversion system is that TC’s can’t stack – you can only have one of them active, obviously, and it requires a game restart to switch them. However, TC’s can have Mods active on them, and load custom maps, etc. We have used the new TC system to create “ARK: Survival of the Fittest”, which we’ll also be providing as a full example of how the TC system works :slight_smile:

Cheers,

oh the new total conversion seem promising :smiley:

can’t wait to see what the good modder will do with that :smiley:

i have some idea but not the ability to do them so i just look at other and try thing :smiley:

Thanks so much for the update! I hope my mod works fine now, lol >_<

Unfortunately renaming my primalgamedata did not resolve my problem. Mid you, these are all on fresh server starts with only one mod. Primarily my problem is that the engram remap array doesn’t seem to function on a dedicated server, but operates fine in singleplayer. To be more specific on the problem, I have remapped engrams and items. When I go to learn an engram in my UI, the engram is there in it’s unlearned phase, but when I click on it and click to learn engram, nothing happens. I can learn my other unmodded engram just fine and when I remap an item and not an engram, I can learn the engram just fine and I get the modded version on the item as expected. Maybe the total conversion will fix it? Otherwise I’m truly stumped >_<

Further Note: the PrimalGameData asset name actually needs to START with “PrimalGameData”, such as “PrimalGameData_MyMod”. Sorry about the confusion on that, the code was written too strictly!

If that doesn’t solve it for you Satoron, please let us know and upload the source of your mod to a location that you can PM me, and tell me the name of your mod on Workshop. We’ll then analyze what’s going on with your mod directly and figure it out :slight_smile:

Thanks,

How are we tracking for an AdditionItemList similar in function to the MasterItemList?

That is actually the problem I was having with one of my mods, after renaming my PrimalGameData properly, I’m hearing no reports of issues across other servers. Also, make sure your PrimalGameData file is at the “root” of your mod folders (in the very first folder of your mod).

If you do these two things it should absolutely solve your problem.

Thanks so much for your help Studio Wildcard! My mod now functions on my dedicated server just as well as it does in single player! The fix was, as you said, renaming my primalgamedata blueprint to primalgamedata-arkmod with primalgamedata appearing in the name and at the beginning of the name.
Thanks again, you guys are the best :slight_smile:

Await the August, 13th :slight_smile:

And thanks for info :slight_smile:

Indeed - the total conversion level is exactly what I have been hoping for! :smiley:

I’m also happy for the vehicle example, as mine are not functioning properly just yet, heh. The new partnership info is both exciting and ominous at the same time, very curious. :slight_smile:

Is this requirement still valid?

Yes. This requirement is still valid.