Super Metroid ''Remake''

Hello ,

I recently started working on a Super Metroid ‘‘Remake’’.

Given the fact, that the IP is property of Nintendo, we all know how likely is going to be released.
Nevertheless, it is my all time favorite game, and I dreamt about remaking it for a long time.

I started with a blank project in UE4 and hardcoded everything from scratch (which is not much so far).

Before that, I modeled and rigged Samus myself (a mixture of many looks, NOT the final version, will change completely to the proper Snes Modell).
Since it isn’t the final look, I didn’t bother texturing it or anything like that. I just wanted to get things going, and that motivated me more, than just
using the standard UE4 character.

Then I made a running animation via key frames, for which I used the original sprites of the Snes version as reference.

My goal is to make it as true to the source as possible

The animation still is pretty dorky and needs a lots of tweaks and fixes.

But I want to to start creating Samus’s basic Actions first.

Next on my Agenda:

• Jumping Animation from idle straigt upwards

• Ducking Animation

• Weapon Poses in all given directions

• Simple Projectile firing.

It’s not much and not particularly ‘awesome’, but it still is a prototype and I am aiming big.

Hopefully you still like it somewhat.

Running Animation:

Reference

Due to the huge amount of positive reception here sarcasm I decided to post the theme, which my dearest friend and colleague has produced for project:

[video]https://soundcloud.com/ramiel_core/super-metroid--theme[/video]
Please enjoy

I love Metroid and can’t wait to see what you do with this. Are you doing all of with code? Some of the simpler mechanics (jumping, firing) you may find easier to create in Blueprints. Please keep it up!

Yes all of it via code. (Except the State Machines of course, but you cant really call them “blueprinting”).

I could make it easier for me, yes. But I also wanna learn coding, and why not fiddling around with a relatively simple game concept.

(It really is a manageable amount of features.)

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I am a huge Metroid fan myself and Super Metroid was always my favorite game of the series. So I am really looking forward to see more of this.
The model looks quite nice already.

I hope, that I get at a state, where I can hire some helpers, soon.

Super Metroid is one of my all time favorite games too. It would be nice to sample some of the original SFX to use in your remake. Might have to grab my old SNES from storage. :slight_smile:

Sure, go ahead if you like :slight_smile:

So far I only have one friend, who is helping with the music, but no sfx guy yet.

I’m heading over to storage today anyways so I will bring it home and start recording weekend. Would be fun to do a fresh playthrough on masterpiece anyways, haven’t done that in years. Ideally the original SFX would just be used as place holders until new updated ones can be made.

Hermi1988,

Is something you are doing by yourself? I would love to help you ^_^! Literally my all time favorite game in the SNES library :)!

I wrote you both a message

Here’s a w.i.p of Ridley, a friend is doing for project.

Some help on animations : move up and down center gravity move , add some light movement balance on sides , rotate the body towards front
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ikUkGntOOUE
I like metroid and hope you’ll make a great remake.

It seems you have a challenger :slight_smile:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?12898-Super-Metroid-UE4&highlight=metroid

Ridley looks great!!! hella great job on that!