User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making your game moddable.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf208 View Post
    something else that might work is some way to use a in game editor, that would read files saved with data(save-game esque), although this may actually be more difficult than what is being worked on, just saying this for brainstorming
    This is what I'm working on actually but it still lacks the ability to build more complex shapes ( like probuilder can ).
    Check out my game OldSchool Nightmare : http://www.indiedb.com/games/oldschool-nightmare

I am also very interested in making sure people can make custom maps and have the ability to mod from day 1, when will there be an update on this?

This is obviously a hot topic, me included even though it is over my head, what about creating sticky'd thread over in the forum "Announcements and Releases"?

UE Community Manager
    Hey all, sorry for the super long wait here.

We're currently discussing next steps in regards to mods in UE4, process for shipping cooked vs. uncooked content, as well as making editor distribution a bit more straight forward. I'll let you all know when we've got some motion here
    Twitter [@iveytron + @UnrealEngine] YouTube [/unrealengine] Twitch [/unrealengine]

Hello this tutorial don't work for me when I try to package the main game without any coocked map selected the packaged game pak will contain all maps inside the plugins/x/content folder

If I select only one map inside game/content folder when I package the game and then I package the DLC with a map inside the plugin/x/content folder (<- dlc folder ) if I put the builded .pak of the dlc inside the paks folder of the game and if I try to open the map inside the dlc .pak the game don't find it anyone can help me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    We're currently discussing next steps in regards to mods in UE4, process for shipping cooked vs. uncooked content, as well as making editor distribution a bit more straight forward. I'll let you all know when we've got some motion here
    Thanks Chance ! This is a really cool feature for UE4 to have.

Infiltrator
    Hi Chance, wanted to highlight this post I wrote on the matter: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...est-accomplish

I have a lot of experience supporting mods for games, just not with Unreal Engine yet Maybe something I wrote will help with the design?

Hey Chance. We are still very much interested here. We'd really like a more polished workflow for modding. Any news about how we could add modding support without having to ship uncooked game and editor ?

I'll bump this so it is not just left to Gwenn to keep this live.
    Cool Blue Moon Ltd. @coolbluemoonltd And now, @londonisunreal, the London Unreal Engine Meet-up group.

Bump, looking forward to seeing future progress on this. =)

Also bumbing, since it's a important - but yet nearly zero documented feature (regarding cooked content/projects)

Infiltrator
    hope this gets some more work and docs!! maybe the ability for ppl that dont know c++ (aka me :P ) to use this?

Bump. Me want mod stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    You shouldn't have to modify the engine really at all. We are working on a quick start and best practices guide and should have more info on that soon.
    1 Year have passed and we still didn't get simple answers
    It seems "soon" in EPIC's nomenclature means eternity

Yea Microsoft want the money. Main resomn why they got Minecraft. Notch screwed us.

Is why you guys in a stale mate now. Fear of telling how you don things.

If you told people How Ark started. No one would play.
    You have a contest to try to fix this game thgat whom ever left the company left u with zap.
    I am a true follower of UDK to UE4. Ark is a closter ***. The time to get into this game amounts to equal time to be on pause constant to think of other things, SAD.
    There are no guides period
    This Guy
    http://ark-survival-evolved.wikia.co...l_Evolved_Wiki

God only knows the time He wasted waiting?
    My mod when done will have a world ongoing and wait time be like archage login into.
    But this is a farse. I dnt have funds to make open worlds static in time to repeat constantly. Dara storage is like Gold.
    Last edited by antoniobradiano; 01-05-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf208 View Post
    something else that might work is some way to use a in game editor, that would read files saved with data(save-game esque), although this may actually be more difficult than what is being worked on, just saying this for brainstorming
    The have everything that UDK to UE4 can offer and done so with wiki`s .They alloyed public manipulation of what you wanted. When back in the day when Fallout New Vegas piped is Modders couldn`t segway anything.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment

These guys arnt the same as Bethesda but are the same. They rewound codes etc. so u cant use in the mantra of the TES reputation That is Bethesda (Nothing in Fallout 3 wrks in New Vegas. Will not argue over lil ferry dust.

Before this tut was a blind eye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EIGXbKafPs

There was a yr and a half where a stale mate was with the Obsidian company and Bethesda both same. Just Tax brackets. Showed how and what they done.
    This new Beast ARK Is good But we wait so freaking long. Anyone working on this opening stage?
    Cause it isnt an opening it is an ongoing one.

UE Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    Also paging Mr. @Alexander Paschall. I know lots of people that are watching this thread like a hawk
    Hey, I'm pinging people on the status of this doc. Sorry about the delay, holidays and all that.
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

UE Community Manager
    Just to follow up here. This is making progress, but still in the "soon" category.
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Luminary
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
    Just to follow up here. This is making progress, but still in the "soon" category.
    To put it on the table we plan on making our game moddable as well so when we get there can we come to Epic for assistance and expect the same level of love as Epic has shown Ark?

Not asking for much except to share the love.
    Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Please make a mod tutorial quick , i have search long time on the web, but only find some outdated info about modding.Tom looman 's tutorial seems not working on UE4.14, when i package the DLC, UAT always failed to update some resource, i searched the answer hub,the only answer is tell me to use github version engine. This is wired! Why can't the Launcher version can't properly package DLC? I need a real good toturial on this topic.

Supporter
    Any updates on this?

Bump... Been waiting literal years for this lol

Any updates?

Yeah it's been literally two years now. Is this going to be another bold promise that never actually happens ?

Would this be related as to why my game won't find any assets that are added after packaging? I made a function that reads uassets in a folder, and it gets the files that are in the game when I made the editor. But after packaging, uploading to steam and downloading, then adding 2 extra assets to the location (Without ticking Use Pak File), the game won't read those 2 extra assets.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...aged-game.html

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-packaged-game

Hey @Alexander Paschall are there any updates on this in light of the recent activity with Conan? It seems like Conan gives access to the entire game contents and an essentially unmodified editor. Personally, my major concern here is how to do this safely, without the end user being able to easily migrate my assets to their own project, or introduce c++ code that accesses the file system, or dish out steam achievements, etc. Currently, afaik we would have to release the source for any editor changes we make, which would immediately invalidate any security measures we could take on our own, not to mention the fact they could simply open the (apparently unpackaged?) .uassets in the standard editor
    Last edited by cl4ws0n; 02-17-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Samaritan
    I can't really check the custom editors from the launcher, my pc will explode.

I hope we have some news at GDC, regarding modding.

But then again, it is still complicated with licensing of certain assets.

But anyway i would love to have mods support for my games, even if they are not in the same caliber/budget of Conan Exiles, Ark etc.

But for smaller teams or one man projects, better support/documentation, from Epic, regarding custom editors and modding would be extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cl4ws0n View Post
    Hey @Alexander Paschall are there any updates on this in light of the recent activity with Conan? It seems like Conan gives access to the entire game contents and an essentially unmodified editor. Personally, my major concern here is how to do this safely, without the end user being able to easily migrate my assets to their own project, or introduce c++ code that accesses the file system, or dish out steam achievements, etc. Currently, afaik we would have to release the source for any editor changes we make, which would immediately invalidate any security measures we could take on our own, not to mention the fact they could simply open the (apparently unpackaged?) .uassets in the standard editor
    In regards to this Bioware did this with a few of their games (mainly NWN1 & 2 <= Obsidian modified for NWN2) and there were not many issues with art assets being pilfered. The game hobbyists simply wanted to make content and paint their adventures in the toolset provided. You could say similar things of Skyrim and Fallout 4. Indeed there are the lowlifes that steal art for their own uses but there is nothing that really can be done about that....they will always be present and making something so locked down only inhibits the modding process in the first place.

Modding has been on the palette for my designs in both Unity 4 and 5 (extremely difficult to implement and very fragile) and now in UE4 (wiki shows how it can work => https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Moddin...gine_4_project) but it is definitely not the smooth process Bioware had with HAK and 2DA files. Yes combining 2DA files was a pain and NWN2 did some things to make HAK files much easier but in general the system is really amazing.

The UE4 dream would be to have 1 folder dedicated to modding...built in...call this Mods. Then under this modders can make 1 folder per mod. Everything associated with that mod goes into that folder. Mods would be specific to the developer so getting each mod to work in that particular game would need to be done in that game project and not in a general UE4 made project.

Now as to exporting the mod so that it will work in the actual game play (or available from Nexusmods or Steam for Free) could be a PAK or DAT file that is nothing but binary data inside that is useless unless imported into the UE4 game project it was made in. In fact if UE4 was enabled for Modding (which it kind of is already) could create a Content PAK that could be loaded into the UE4 editor so that modders can play away with the game project and create mods but are unable to export the uassets from the engine. Perfectly acceptable and keeps all but the most stalwart lowlife out of the original files.

NWN1, NWN2, and Skyrim among others are still going today because of excellent modding support. I have played a lot of hours in ARK but not many in the un-modded version...there are excellent mods for it but ARK is far too rough to mod in. Having a universal UE4 export mechanism that game devs can follow that is simple enough for these devs to create their specific workflows from would make UE4 projects with modding intent a real haven for the modding communities.

With the recent Robo Recall modding videos I think is time to bump this thread.

Supporter
    Yey! +1 it's really difficult to reverse engineer Robo recall

Infiltrator
    Hey, I put together some example code for modding in Unreal without engine customization: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ation-Required I'd love some feedback if anyone has a chance to take a look.

Last edited by masterneme; 03-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12