User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 91 of 91

Thread: Making your game moddable.

  1. #81
    0
    So how about allowing us to redistribute the editor with the game on Steam ? Because that's the one thing we really need.

  2. #82
    0
    Thank you Chance that's great, I'm especially excited about this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    and a lot of that code should be heading your way in future releases (thinking 4.17 right now).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    We'll be able to cover this more extensively in a livestream in the future

  3. #83
    0
    UE Community Manager
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    So how about allowing us to redistribute the editor with the game on Steam ? Because that's the one thing we really need.
    We've discussed the explorations of other distribution options but have no plans at this time. Will update if that changes!
    Twitter [@iveytron + @UnrealEngine] YouTube [/unrealengine] Twitch [/unrealengine]

  4. #84
    0
    Thanks for the reply Chance!

    I must say, that it's good to hear about the new upcoming modding support.

    For my game Musical Range, I got Super, Super lucky. My mods only needs 4 files. A empty file extension for manifest, a text file for meta data, a jpg image for album covers, and a midi track to play the music track in the game. (Look at my game trailer if you wonder what my game is about).

    Thanks to @Rama, I managed to get a blueprint function that reads a raw jpg image in a folder. Thanks to Fpaths and FileManager I can read a txt file. Thanks to FileManager I can get a list of the names of files to read the manifest list of mod songs available. And it turns out the MIDI Plugin had a function already to read midi directly from file, without having to create a new uasset.

    This means, in my game, I made a folder called CustomSongs.
    Name:  f5a69d6bc8.png
Views: 178
Size:  7.7 KB

    Inside of 0Manifest
    Name:  51b59b14c0.png
Views: 179
Size:  8.4 KB

    Inside of RickAndMorty-mainTheme and inside of the txt file.
    Name:  98bfe1af50.png
Views: 179
Size:  16.2 KB

    And you can see from Meta.txt I simply have a youtubeID string, that I use to load in game a youtube video that plays the music to the midi track.

    It works, and is super user friendly! The players dont need to download ue4, dont need to packag,e create plugins, nothing! So direct.

    What is amazing, is that I can use this same set up to upload items to the workshop. Which I literally just managed.
    Name:  370e97d99f.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  169.4 KB

    Now, I only have to check what files the user sis subscribed to, and have the game look at those directories!

    What I am saying, is, if you want your modders to be able to replace or add files, look into adding support to read directly from a file folder. It makes the modders life much easier. This may not work with maps, but for example. Weapon skins or model reskins can work very easy. Models to replace weapons, or props, like hats, can also work. And also can be useful for custom sound effects, or adding song support. It takes some work to add this support to the game, but making the end user life easier is worthed IMO.

    I bet many of us started moding, just by downloading skins to weapons, and later on started doing more and more modding. So the support to very basic mod is very valuable IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #85
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    We've discussed the explorations of other distribution options but have no plans at this time. Will update if that changes!
    I'm wondering what's so complex about this? I see no technical reason the editor has to be distributed using your launcher, it makes no difference whatsoever where people get it from.

  6. #86
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Motanum View Post
    Thanks for the reply Chance!

    I must say, that it's good to hear about the new upcoming modding support.

    For my game Musical Range, I got Super, Super lucky. My mods only needs 4 files. A empty file extension for manifest, a text file for meta data, a jpg image for album covers, and a midi track to play the music track in the game. (Look at my game trailer if you wonder what my game is about).

    Thanks to @Rama, I managed to get a blueprint function that reads a raw jpg image in a folder. Thanks to Fpaths and FileManager I can read a txt file. Thanks to FileManager I can get a list of the names of files to read the manifest list of mod songs available. And it turns out the MIDI Plugin had a function already to read midi directly from file, without having to create a new uasset.

    This means, in my game, I made a folder called CustomSongs.
    Name:  f5a69d6bc8.png
Views: 178
Size:  7.7 KB

    Inside of 0Manifest
    Name:  51b59b14c0.png
Views: 179
Size:  8.4 KB

    Inside of RickAndMorty-mainTheme and inside of the txt file.
    Name:  98bfe1af50.png
Views: 179
Size:  16.2 KB

    And you can see from Meta.txt I simply have a youtubeID string, that I use to load in game a youtube video that plays the music to the midi track.

    It works, and is super user friendly! The players dont need to download ue4, dont need to packag,e create plugins, nothing! So direct.

    What is amazing, is that I can use this same set up to upload items to the workshop. Which I literally just managed.
    Name:  370e97d99f.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  169.4 KB

    Now, I only have to check what files the user sis subscribed to, and have the game look at those directories!

    What I am saying, is, if you want your modders to be able to replace or add files, look into adding support to read directly from a file folder. It makes the modders life much easier. This may not work with maps, but for example. Weapon skins or model reskins can work very easy. Models to replace weapons, or props, like hats, can also work. And also can be useful for custom sound effects, or adding song support. It takes some work to add this support to the game, but making the end user life easier is worthed IMO.

    I bet many of us started moding, just by downloading skins to weapons, and later on started doing more and more modding. So the support to very basic mod is very valuable IMO.
    How did you do that? It's awesome! Do I need something else than the guides I posted before?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeblote View Post
    I'm wondering what's so complex about this? I see no technical reason the editor has to be distributed using your launcher, it makes no difference whatsoever where people get it from.
    I don't think it's technical but a business decision, they just want everything centralized on their Launcher.

  7. #87
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by masterneme View Post
    How did you do that? It's awesome! Do I need something else than the guides I posted before?
    Hey man, what do you need help with specifically?

    For loading the images from disk, there is this code. https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?3851-%2839%29-Rama-s-Extra-Blueprint-Nodes-for-You-as-a-Plugin-No-C-Required!&p=210419&viewfull=1#post210419

    The reading of text file is also quite easy to do, lots of info on it on the answer hub and forums. If you want me to share my specific code, well, just let me know.

    The reading of midi file is done by the LoadFile blueprint node of a MIDI component which is already included in the Midi UE4 Plugin by Scott.

    The workshop is much more complicated, so that would take longer to explain, heh.

  8. #88
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Motanum View Post
    Hey man, what do you need help with specifically?

    For loading the images from disk, there is this code. https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?3851-%2839%29-Rama-s-Extra-Blueprint-Nodes-for-You-as-a-Plugin-No-C-Required!&p=210419&viewfull=1#post210419

    The reading of text file is also quite easy to do, lots of info on it on the answer hub and forums. If you want me to share my specific code, well, just let me know.

    The reading of midi file is done by the LoadFile blueprint node of a MIDI component which is already included in the Midi UE4 Plugin by Scott.

    The workshop is much more complicated, so that would take longer to explain, heh.
    I'm interested in the workshop but I don't want you to invest time explaining how to do it, I just need some directions exactly as you did with the other stuff which I really appreciate, thanks.

  9. #89

  10. #90
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    Howdy folks, apologies for the longest of all waits on updates here... We've been working with partners and on our own games (Robo Recall, specifically) in order to take the right approach to building out a reusable framework for making UE4 games moddable, and I wanted to wait until we had more to share to follow up. I think we made some great progress for Robo Recall, and a lot of that code should be heading your way in future releases (thinking 4.17 right now).
    At last, great news regarding modding!

  11. #91
    0
    Does the new Runtime Asset Management framework have anything to do with the modding env?
    Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
    - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •