Thread: Multiplayer Systems | Lobby, Chat, Group System | 4.16 Submitted

Mythic

Multiplayer Systems | Lobby, Chat, Group System | 4.16 Submitted

NEW UI UPDATE IN 4.12.x + VERSION:

Pictures:

Spoiler: 

Video:

Hey there,

since my project is now released on the market, i am opening a new thread for customers who need help understanding a certain
    part of the systems and for telling me about found bugs (:

Here is the link to the Marketplace Item:

Multiplayer Systems Marketplace Link

Feel free to post questions about the project and its systems/Blueprints. I will try to answer them and help you understanding how everything works.

If you find a bug, please try to recreate it first and post the exact way to recreate the bug. This will make it easier for me to debug it and fix it![/CENTER]

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q.: My new project keeps posting the message "Failed to create session". Why is this happening and how can i resolve this issue?

A.: A project, that wants to use the SessionSystem, needs a Subsystem to be declared in the "DefaultEngine.ini" in your Projects Config Folder!
    For now, we only use the "Null" Subsystem, which is UE4's basic Subsystem and allows us to host Games that can be found via LAN ServerList
    or joined via direct IP Connection over the Net.

If you need ServerLists for Online Servers, then you need to use a Subsystem like Steam! The Function and Nodes stay the same since UE4 uses
    wrapper functions that will pick the correct functions, based on the current selected and supported Subsystem!

Here is what you need to add to the DefaultEngine.ini:

[OnlineSubsystem]
    DefaultPlatformService=Null
    Q.: How to change the Character class in 4.11/4.12+ to my own?

A.: Link to tutorial post.

Q.: How can I add my own GameMode in 4.11/4.12/4.13?

A.: Link to tutorial post.

A list for all known issues (i will first gather a few before updating it):

• [4.14] When starting the "game" with 2+ players, the Server, with and without Clients, does not travel from Lobby to Gameplay level, but is stuck in the loading screen. Output says it couldn't ServerTravel.
      [SOLUTION] Go to the "Advanved Options" of the Play settings (Arrow right to the Play button) and go to the "Multiplayer Settings" tab. Disable "Auto Connect To Server".
    • You can't launch the Editor on 2 computers and connect to each other. This is a PIE problem and totally normal. Look here for more information: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/189439/472multiplayer-blueprint-example-cant-connect-betw.html

A list for all fixed bugs:

• MouseCursor not showing up in MainMenu and Lobby in 4.11 | SOLUTION: CLICK ME!
    • [4.11/4.12/4.13/Fixed in 4.14] Leaving the Lobby and rejoining it is broken | SOLUTION: CLICK ME!

Changelogs:

4.14 Changelist:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?75723-Multiplayer-Systems-Lobby-Chat-Group-System-4-14-Update-Live&p=625859&viewfull=1#post625859

4.11 and 4.12 overhaul Changelist: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?75723-Multiplayer-Systems-Lobby-Chat-Group-System-Soon-on-sale!&p=541302&viewfull=1#post541302
    Last edited by eXi; 12-23-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    Open for contracted work | Blueprints | UE4++/C++ | Training | VR | My Website

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

Mythic

Hey there,

i just received an email asking for Online Support and telling me about a crash when turning of "Lan" and trying to join a session.

Let me explain this to you, who maybe also bought the Package or are thinking about it.

Difference between online and lan for UE4:

So, the difference here is the Session handling. Creating a session in LAN Mode, and retrieving the List etc, is all handled local. So you have some kind of a master server
    that registers all the Sessions and sends them to the clients if they are asking for the ServerList.

If you want to able to have this ONLINE, you need something that works as a master server. The easiest part here is, to use an ONLINE SUBSYSTEM. For example Steam.
    It will then send you the Sessionlist and handle all the joining etc.

Can you implement online support?:

YES and NO. The project is supporting online play, but you need to setup an OnlineSubsystem for this. There are some tutorials and even a program to integrate Steam into your
    project. Marketplace projects are limited to Blueprint Code only (for now), so i can't add the additional files that are needed for Steam support. Even if i could, you would need
    to add some more files to your engine itself. So as you see, implementing this into this project is kinda problem for me.

If i get Steam to work for this project, do i need to change something in the Blueprint Code?:

No, the replication will still be handled by UE4. The Session Nodes (Host, Join and Search) are so called wrapper functions. They will use the matching Subsystem Functions
    that UE4 already implemented, as long as the Subsystem is valid.

Will you give support for not working online features of your project?:

Yes, but only in a limited way. I have not tried setting up steam for this yet. I would recommend you to try to enable steam in a NEW and FRESH project.
    If you manage to get this working, try to enable it in my project.

If you then get a crash or something is not working, i will try to help you IF you post me a valid crashlog and a lot of information how i can recreate the issue.
    Otherwise i can't really help you.

Always add ALL information you have about a problem to your Bug Reports. Not only for me, but in all your posts about problems you ever make in your life!

I hope this clears up some things (: If something in my above statement is wrong, please tell me and i will correct it.

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

Hey Exi, having some problems when testing on two computers,
    The second computer to join closes and gets the message in the log:
    Info Play in editor start time for /Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_MainMenu 0.757
    Warning TravelFailure: LoadMapFailure, Reason for Failure: 'Failed to load package '/Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_Lobby''. Shutting down PIE.

As well as
    Error /Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_Lobby : Can't find file /Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_Lobby
    In the load check.

this is on a fresh instance of your project. Did you run into this? Got it to work under some conditions. Gonna add to this after more testing, sorry to be brief for now! Seems to be a PIE thing, LAUNCH GAME works!
    Last edited by Staggerlee; 07-15-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Mythic

Sadly i don't have 2 PCs here ): so i couldn't test that.
    As soon as i'm home, i will check if i can find some information about that, but it could be that you simply can't simulate network with 2 PIE versions.

But you can always rightclick on the *.uproject file and select something like "Start Game". Then will have a standalone version (could also try stabdalone in PIE option)

Mythic

Hey there,

seems like you and i are right about the PIE thing. Read the marked answer in this AnswerHUB question:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/189439/472multiplayer-blueprint-example-cant-connect-betw.html

Yup, got it working! Testing in PIE wont work- but thats not a big workflow problem as you pointed out above. Your blueprint standards are incredible eXi, fantastic work, very clean to understand.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
    Yup, got it working! Testing in PIE wont work- but thats not a big workflow problem as you pointed out above. Your blueprint standards are incredible eXi, fantastic work, very clean to understand.
    Thanks (:

It would be nice if you, and other customers, could rate the project on the marketplace site. (:

Got everything working pretty darn good and i have learnt a lot as well.
    Was wondering on your opinion on the best way to return to lobby. I found that calling 'ServerTravel Lobby' by console at the end of my match works somewhat,
    It returns the players too the lobby, but sometimes it crashes. I take it this is outside what the content has set up, but ill shoot for advice.
    The error that seems to call is; so it makes it tricky to debug.
    Error Infinite Loop detected in MyGameInstance , asserted during FoundError with the following Call Stack
    No harm if you cant help eXi!

Mythic

Hey there, i'm so glad that you like it and learn from it! That was the main reason a made it (:

Yeah, the "Return to the Lobby" thing was asked a lot while i was developing it, but i felt like not doing it, since
    it is somewhat the same as joining it from the Main menu. But i have no idea IF there is something that breaks it.
    Because the difference between calling the Server Travel (on the server!) from Game back to the lobby and joining
    it one by one from the Main Menu shouldn't be that great at all.

The error points to something with the "FoundError" event i created in the GameInstance. If it is an infinite loop, it might
    call itself over and over again. Is this happening on the Server or on the clients? You might want to disable it for now
    or keep an eye on it if you recreate the system.

It is really hard to tell why this is happening. When i get some time, i will try it out myself and check what is causing the crash, ok? (:

No problem eXI, its an odd one. I am calling it on the Server for sure.
    Stuff like this is not critical as you say, its odd that it only fires sometimes. So its hard to replicate the issue. maybe around 50% of the time?
    Anyway its not critical as you say, as the server can boot everyone after a match and then they can rejoin later via the main menu.
    Edit: Disabling Found Error fixes the issue as far as i can see.
    Last edited by Staggerlee; 07-22-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Mythic

(: Ok, i just updated the List in the Main post containing the new "bugs" that you found. I will still look into it as soon as a i get time!

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Axxi View Post
    just bought this looks very nice so far
    Glad to hear that. Let me know if you run into problems.

thats so nice

Veteran
    Is there is any way to let all client travel to new level while server stays at Lobby?

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    Is there is any way to let all client travel to new level while server stays at Lobby?
    As far as i know, this is not possible. The Server can only load one Level at a time. That would be the lobby.
    I already had a discussion about that with some other devs, because some of them wanted to make a bigger Game,
    where Players could "travel" to other places that were made in new Levels, but we came to the conclusion that the
    standard UE4 Setup does not support that.

Or at least, we think that it doesn't support that. I would be happy to get a Staff Answer about that, but this would be
    better suited for the AnswerHUB, since the Staff is not very active in this kind of things here on the Forum :P

EDIT: Easiest thing for you would be creating a new Project with a very basic host and join setup and then trying to
    ClientTravel to a different Map while being on the Server. And the best thing would be doing this with 2 clients at once.
    Then you know if this is possible or not.

Mythic

Hey there (:

i just send Epic the updated 4.9.0 version of this Project! I hope you are all having a great start into the new week and enjoying the fresh released Unreal Engine 4.9.0!

Directed at the people who already bought this pack:

First of all, thanks for the purchase, i don't hear much from you so i guess you are satisfied with it. It would be
    nice if you could leave a review of my project on the Marketplace page!

(: Thanks in advance and feel free to ask me question any time!

Quote Originally Posted by eXi View Post
    i don't hear much from you so i guess you are satisfied with it.
    haha, cause i takes also times for us to getting through. But yeah great work.
    I figured out, you released the 4.9 update a few minutes ago. Could you post in the first post, something about the 4.9 update? Did you changed something?

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Spaehling View Post
    haha, cause i takes also times for us to getting through. But yeah great work.
    I figured out, you released the 4.9 update a few minutes ago. Could you post in the first post, something about the 4.9 update? Did you changed something?
    I submitted the Update when 4.9 came out. According to Epic, it is up since Yesterday.

The Changelog isn't that big or important, but if you want i will write it up. Just need to check both
    Projects again:

4.9 Changelog:

• In the MyGameInstance Blueprint | Event NetworkError and Event TravelError
    • When getting any network error, we check if the Player is already in the Network, if not, move him to the MainMenu State
    • ---------------------------
    • In the MyGameInstance Blueprint | TransitionToNewState Macro
    • Added "IsValid" nodes to all Widget Pointers
    • (Node: By looking over it, i just realized that i forgot to connect the "NotValid" exec for all of them. I will update that as soon as i can, but normally these widget shouldn't be NULL in the first place!)
    • ---------------------------
    • In the MyHudWidget
    • Added a new line to tell the Player how to open the Menu, since ESC is quitting the Editor Play Mode, the Menu is opened with 'i' Key

The rest seems to be unchanged. So as you see, it was just a bit cleaning up.

What i want to do when i find time is to change the way i have the GameModes setup.
    Back in 4.7 i wasn't able to change the GameMode via the OpenLevel node. So that's why
    there are 2 Maps currently doubled. In the next update, where i also update the few NotValid execs, i will try to rework that and remove
    the second map.

EDIT: The changes were made because Epic changed something from 4.8 to 4.9. Don't ask me what, but the Error logic was broken and some
    pointers were spitting out the Accessed None error which weren't NULL in 4.8. It's the little things >.<
    Last edited by eXi; 09-08-2015 at 09:12 PM.

I have a question before I purchase this. Im looking to add a basic group/party system to my game. I want something like Halo or your typical FPS. I want to hit a button invite a friend into my party, then I create or find a session that connects us both. I want to know if this has the BPs that would be a good start on learning how to program a system that is similar to that. Its seems like it has a good basis for something like that but not sure. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by rioratt99 View Post
    I have a question before I purchase this. Im looking to add a basic group/party system to my game. I want something like Halo or your typical FPS. I want to hit a button invite a friend into my party, then I create or find a session that connects us both. I want to know if this has the BPs that would be a good start on learning how to program a system that is similar to that. Its seems like it has a good basis for something like that but not sure. Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Hey there,

my Group System is INGAME. Like if you play World Of Warcraft or any other Multiplayer RPG. You can Invite Players that are online and on your Server to see their stats and maybe more, which is up to you to integrate.

I guess you want to have a System to invite a friend from a Friendlist, so he can join your game right? This is done with an OnlineSubsystem, like Steam, and might (i'm not sure) require C++ to implement
    the required functions.

Maybe i don't understand what exactly you want to build there, but the main difference between a Friendlist like Steam and my Group system is:

An OnlineSubsystem gives you the ability to invite a friend, that is not yet playing, into your game to join the Server.

My Group system is a feature IN the game that you can use to pair up when you are already on the same Server.

Tell me what of this you need and i can tell you if my Group system is a starting point or if the whole project can be used for that.
    (Steam and other Subsystem can be integrated in it, like in every other BP and C++ Project).

I want to us the steam OnlineSubsystem. There are plugins that I can use to expose a little more to blueprints and understand that somewhat, and can get Steam working with the basic Host Server and Join Via Serverlist. I more or less need to grasp how you can have friends join via steam and be able to join other hosted servers.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by rioratt99 View Post
    I want to us the steam OnlineSubsystem. There are plugins that I can use to expose a little more to blueprints and understand that somewhat, and can get Steam working with the basic Host Server and Join Via Serverlist. I more or less need to grasp how you can have friends join via steam and be able to join other hosted servers.
    Ok (: Then my Group System is not the thing you are searching. At least not yet

Getting Steam to work overall isn't that hard, since we have some Documentation on it and the "Advanced Session Plugin" helps extending the feature of the BPs.
    For the Friendinvites it gets a bit messy. I don't think we have any documentation on it. You may need to either check the C++ Code of the ShooterGame
    (although i don't know if it uses Friend invites) or spend your time asking about it on the HUB and Forum.

Thanks I really appreciate your help!!!

Hi, I need some help to import the package into an existing project.

I have copied the whole BPNetworkingProject folder into my existing project's content directory and set the project's game instance class to MyGameInstance, but whenever I press host game it shows the "Failed to create session". I guess I must be missing some other configuration since a separate project created from the package works.

For learning purpose I would like to know what settings I'm missing instead of copying the whole config folder (I tried to take glances on the project settings but they seem identical to me...), thanks!

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Lyan View Post
    Hi, I need some help to import the package into an existing project.

I have copied the whole BPNetworkingProject folder into my existing project's content directory and set the project's game instance class to MyGameInstance, but whenever I press host game it shows the "Failed to create session". I guess I must be missing some other configuration since a separate project created from the package works.

For learning purpose I would like to know what settings I'm missing instead of copying the whole config folder (I tried to take glances on the project settings but they seem identical to me...), thanks!
    To solve your problem:

A project, that wants to use the SessionSystem, needs a Subsystem to be declared in the "DefaultEngine.ini" in your Projects Config Folder!
    For now, we only use the "Null" Subsystem, which is UE4's basic Subsystem and allows us to host Games that can be found via LAN ServerList
    or joined via direct IP Connection over the Net.

If you need ServerLists for Online Servers, then you need to use a Subsystem like Steam! The Function and Nodes stay the same since UE4 uses
    wrapper functions that will pick the correct functions, based on the current selected and supported Subsystem!

Here is what you need to add to the DefaultEngine.ini:

[OnlineSubsystem]

Mythic

Added 2 new bugs. One is already fixed in my version and i wrote the really easy fix in the first post of this thread.
    So you can fix it yourself in the time waiting for the update.

The second bug is really annoying. I can't seem to find why this is happening. The Server 100% calls the node to set it back to "None"
    and he also does that correctly when someone else tries to chose the same Character again. But only if the Server itself tries to pick
    an already picked character, he doesn't reset the combobox. The Image on the other hand works fine although it is the same execution line.

Will write a BugReport for that and see what it brings.

Mythic

New Update 4.9.x v2 available soon (submitted)!

CHANGELOG:

- Fixed ServerName not being saved and displayed in the Lobby
    - Reworked confusing wires of ALL functions
    - Reworked all Return nodes of ALL functions and ALL widget bindings

(Note: You will find new Variables in EventGraphs called _VariableName. Normally i name local Variables like that, but since we are working with CustomEvents in the EventGraph, they aren't really local. I could pack most of the Events into Functions, but since this is an educational project, i want it to be easy to read and not packed into 100 functions that you need to open)

KNOWN ISSUES:

- If the Server selects a Character that is already selected, the Combobox does not reset to NONE. I'm currently working with Epic on getting to know where this comes from
    - We still need the Map twice with 2 different GameModes. Although it is possible to pass the GameMode in the OpenLevel node as an Option, you can't pass Options in the ServerTravel. ServerTravel will take the last Options, so i still have no idea how to workaround this in BPs
    - Going back from Game to Lobby via ServerTravel seems to work, but leaving the Lobby kills the MainMenu. It was never intended to go back from the Game to the Lobby, so i have no fix for this yet

Hi Exi,

I'm not certain if this has been mentioned earlier...

I ran into issues after migrating LCG into my Primary Project. Host attempts 'Failed to create Session'. I had to Add the following lines to my Primary Project's DefaultEngine.ini for it to successfully Host a session.

DefaultEngine.ini
    Code:
    [URL]
    GameName=LobbyChatGroup

[OnlineSubsystem]
    Awesome BP Script Man!
    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

Mythic

Hey there,

i said that 3 posts above but forgot to edit it into the Main Post.

Thanks for bringing this up again (: Will update that now!

Mythic

Just bumping this, so people don't miss the fact that there is a support thread (:

Veteran
    I'm interested in this once 4.10 hits.
    Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
    Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
    Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
    Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
    Digital Portfolio

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Osok View Post
    I'm interested in this once 4.10 hits.
    Glad to hear that.

As soon as 4.10 comes out, i will update it and submit the change (mostly on the same day).
    But, as the last updates showed, it will take a while for the Marketplace Team to get the update out for you.
    So it might take a week.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by eXi View Post
    Glad to hear that.

As soon as 4.10 comes out, i will update it and submit the change (mostly on the same day).
    But, as the last updates showed, it will take a while for the Marketplace Team to get the update out for you.
    So it might take a week.
    I've dealt with the same (sometimes seriously long) delays in getting updates published. Hopefully things come quicker with 4.10
    Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
    Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
    Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
    Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
    Digital Portfolio

Mythic

Ok, so 4.10 is out. I will see if the update will break it. If not, i will instantly submit the update.
    If yes, i will fix this on the weekend, since i don't have any time today/tomorrow. (:

Mythic

Alright! Just sent Epic the Update (:

Now it will take a while till they test it and upload it. Please be patient!

Meanwhile you can try to update the Project to 4.10 yourself (: There was only 1 small thing that broke
    and if you encounter this, i will gladly help you fix it. Otherwise just wait a bit till the official update is out!

Also, if you find bugs that i did not find while updating it (it's a huge project and i might have overlooked something)
    please just tell me! I will fix them and toss out an update as soon as possible + providing a fix for the time waiting.

Hopefully it did not overlook a bug

Have a nice week!

Mythic

Hey there (:

starting with 2016, my package will be reduced by ~40% down from 50$ to 30$!

So if you thought about buying it and it was too expensive, then now is your chance! (:

hi,
    This looks awesome. The character Select does it select a new character class or is it changing attributes in the default character ?
    can you please explain how it works?
    Raed Abbas
    IMDB
    FACEBOOK
    Circle Of Time the game

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Raed Abbas View Post
    hi,
    This looks awesome. The character Select does it select a new character class or is it changing attributes in the default character ?
    can you please explain how it works?
    Hey there, sorry for the late response. Christmas is hitting in hard

It does select a new Class, but you can easily change that if you want.

Due to the lack of unique IDs in a game without Steam or other Subsystems, you need to save the selection before performing the map change.
    It's simply saving the selection on Server and Client side and then on the start of the new level, the clients tell the Server what they selected.

Based on that you can do what you want. Spawn a new actor, or spawn 4 times the same and fill in variables. It's up to you. I just spawn 4 different
    ChildActors that have different colors (in that example).

Thank you for your reply.
    I actually want new classes to be selected. Does this means I don't need to change anything in the script?
    One last question please. When TeamMatch mode can we have Team color or something to identify the team in runtime. Otherwise there's no way to know who's your enemy and who's your ally if you play in a big group.
    Last edited by Raed Abbas; 12-24-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    Raed Abbas
    IMDB
    FACEBOOK
    Circle Of Time the game

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Raed Abbas View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    I actually want new classes to be selected. Does this means I don't need to change anything in the script?
    The script saves the selected class as a string. So for example the YellowCharacter is just saved as "yellow". Once the map was changed,
    the client tells the Server "Hey, i took the 'yellow' character, could you spawn me the matching Class?" and then the Server spawns it for him.

You can rename the terms and implement your own Classes if you want. So if you want to do something like the Game "Evolve", you could
    let them select one of the 4 character classes (:

But keep in mind that Marketplace Assets are designed to be changed. It's a base form for you to extend. I can't guarantee that my Lobby will exactly
    fit your needs. But everything is commented and explained, so after you understood how it works, you can extend and change it to your needs (:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast