Modular weapon creation system

http://crazyferretstudios.com/portfolio/hidden/viewer/625Swords.html

For the past few weekends i’ve been working on a modular sword set, which combines to make 625 different swords! Together with Jan Kaluza​ we’re aiming for an Unreal Marketplace release which will feature an easy to use interface for developers to generate combinations, and even a drag and drop game object which will enable in-game crafting where players can choose their own combinations too!

Although this pack will come with a sword combination, the beauty of the toolset is that it will support just about any weapon type, and we’re trying to make it as simple as possible for developers to add their own content.

Yarr! I’m the aforementioned partner in crime. Just made a quick preview video of some of the things you can do with this!

Hope you like :slight_smile:

This is looking good. Good work guys!

Hi Almighty_gir & Kashaar

There are so many possibilities with the modular design. With even greater number of designs and parts 100,000 different combinations are possible. What other weapons do you have planned?

For the first pack, we’re focusing just on swords.

With the existing meshes, there are a total of 625 different combinations. However, i’m working on adding some new meshes (and cleaning up the textures on the existing ones because everything you see at the moment is placeholder). When finished, this sword pack will have a total of 10648 different combinations.

Over time, i plan to release different weapon sets all compatible with the system, and even some modular creatures.

10648 different combinations = Awesome. I have been waiting for a system like this for years. I’ve subscribed. Keep up the amazing work. I want to see this in the Marketplace.

I was literally making this a few months ago (though without as many weapon pieces) but had to give it up as my time got monopolized. Great job though. I’d love to see it with different types of attachment points like a twin lightsaber Can the attachment point be adjusted so it can be used in first person as well where hand placement matters more?

This would be cool for a medieval borderlands.

Little update on this:

I’ve just finished all the mesh components, and baking down normalmaps. We’re going to try and get the textures finalized by the end of the weekend so we can release!

Total sword combination count:

It’s happening…

http://portfolio.broad-strokes.com/p/modular-melee-weapons/

we’re submitting today :slight_smile:

Oh nooo… I broked it:

0e386100b4b0ca285618fe78271dc74bae2aad8d.jpeg

:):D:rolleyes::wink:

I’m super excited for this! Please let us know when you get a release date! I want to make sure I have the funds for this! Any idea for price Range?

Can i make 2 questions?

1 - We can add our weapons to combine in the system?

2 - We can use it also for guns, axes, etc… (other weapons) like in assassins creed 4?

grat work guys, im waiting for the release!

Of course you can ask :slight_smile:

1. Yep, and I’ve already written a demo that shows you how easy it is. A video tutorial for this is also in the works, but hasn’t been recorded yet.

2. Right now, this system only supports static meshes, so it’s best for melee weapons that don’t need to be animated. We’re thinking about creating an expansion or another package at a later date that supports skeletal meshes as well, which would let you build modular guns just as easily!

As for release date info, no idea yet - we’re done with our work on the package, but are making sure it’s submission-ready now, which means producing a demo video/trailer and tutorials, commenting all blueprints, adding tooltips to all public variables, removing unused content, and so on. Thanks for your patience - we’ll keep you updated, and hopefully it’ll be all done soon™ :slight_smile:

Here’s a little something I just made when I was making promo stuff for the trailer:

Nice use of the Collage Construction Methodology.

I went and added our package into the Couch Knights demo yesterday. That also means: random generation is now replicated properly!

http://stuff.pyrron.com/modweps-couchknights.jpg

Quick update for anyone who might have missed it: we’ve submitted this a few weeks ago, and have been told that it will probably release early in October! Here’s the marketplace thread if you want to show your support :slight_smile: