User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helium Rain - A realistic space opera for PC

I love the ship design in this game! Cant wait to see more updates because i'm a sucker for space games.

Supporter
    That is so cool.

Helium Rain is now on Steam Greenlight !

For those who don't know Greenlight yet - it's the game submission system we have to use to get the game on the Steam platform. Games that gather enough votes get to be published on the Steam platform alongside regular titles.

We need your help to get Helium Rain published. If you want to see the game on Steam, you can vote for us, talk to your friends about the game, share our page, or just retweet us...

Here's our latest trailer. Everything is ingame content.

Thank you for following the project !

We're still on Steam Greenlight - we're now in the Top 20 games ! Thanks for those of you who helped

We're also working on the UI. Here's a shot of our settings menu with the dark theme. The player can activate a dark and light version of the background in different menus.

Hi guys !

We're still doing great on Greenlight, still in the Top 20 and climbing. Thank you all !

We've been working on some fun stuff. Here are some damage effects...

And a nice family shot !

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Aaaaand we're Greenlit !
    Congratulations! Looks great.

Working on a cockpit system - that's how it will feel like to fly a fighter.

Champion
    Our final cockpit system in glorious 4K !
    This is looking really nice so far, I have some suggestions...I hope you don't mind.

1. The font on the displays - I think it'll look nicer with a more 'sci-fi looking' font although this may make it harder to read...your call.
    2. On the displays you have some things where each word begins in upper case such as 'Hull Temperature' and 'Artemis Turret' whereas others don't follow this such as 'Standing down' and 'Current target' It'll make a difference visually if they were all consistent.
    3. I'd personally add more visual atmosphere around the planets.

In any case, you've got my vote....This is looking really good!!

Quote Originally Posted by ULLS View Post
    This is looking really nice so far, I have some suggestions...
    2. On the displays you have some things where each word begins in upper case such as 'Hull Temperature' and 'Artemis Turret' whereas others don't follow this such as 'Standing down' and 'Current target' It'll make a difference visually if they were all consistent.

Artemis Turrent could be correct if the title of a thing. eg "buy our new Artemis Turrent (tm)".

Otherwise, love the attention to detail. Even the triple-A outfits are sending out some rough use of english. Noticed the use of "there's" in place of "there are"? Predictive-text-correction shouldn't be entirely relied upon...

Thank gou guys ! We've updated the atmospheres among other things.

Champion
    Thank gou guys ! We've updated the atmospheres among other things.
    This looks stunning!!

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the User Interface too!

Thanks a lot @TheJamsh !

We're still polishing the UI but it's mostly done, all in Slate and C++. Here's one of the latest menus - the black vs blue background is a user setting, btw.

Here are some more shots from the game !

Banned
    Too cartoonish at this stage.

Any blender tips or tutorials that you'd recommend? Your ships and stations are looking really good.

Promoter
    This "devlog" totally has convinced me: Slate really is much better than UMG

Quote Originally Posted by Manborough View Post
    Any blender tips or tutorials that you'd recommend? Your ships and stations are looking really good.
    Thanks ! I did a breakdown of my process here which mostly covers the shading setup. The modeling itself is pretty basic, I try to mix large flat surfaces with small details.

Quote Originally Posted by tupikp View Post
    This "devlog" totally has convinced me: Slate really is much better than UMG
    I do need to warn you, then : we have 20 000 lines of code just in UI

Luminary
    How did you get PBR in blender?

Custom fork or something else?

We didn't, we're just using Blender for modeling and baking, after that everything is in Unreal.

Luminary
    We didn't, we're just using Blender for modeling and baking, after that everything is in Unreal.
    ah ok makes sense now

One last thing that I need to ask - How are you handling Navigation in 3D Space?

Please go into detail

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    One last thing that I need to ask - How are you handling Navigation in 3D Space?

Please go into detail
    Depends on what kind of navigation we're talking about. I guess you're talking about pathfinding. What we do is twofold :

- pathfinding
    - collision avoidance

Pathfinding here is simple, it's done by assigning a bounding sphere to each object and work with the "ideal path" - just a segment between you and the target.
    When the path intersects a sphere, we split it in two segments and move the joint on the surface of the sphere, so that we effectively travel just left or right of the object. Then check each segment for more collisions, recurvisely.

Collision avoidance is done by detecting the other trajectory, computing an intersection time, and moving the other way. It's a bit more subtle and I didn't write that part so I can't get into much details.

The inter-sector navigation is not done by the player, we use a 2D map to pick destinations, and voilà. Here's how it looks like.

Nice game, not sure how far you've gone with the it but I'd work on the background a bit more, it seems a bit plane (black) right now. I think adding a few things may make a big difference, e.g some space dust, asteroid belts, a few nebula, color variations and stars here and there will give it that outer space feel.
    Last edited by I Create Art!; 04-03-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Small update...

New hull model, now with ship names...

Also a lot more new things. Read our devblog for more !

I really like how the spaceships look! Not a big fan of space sims/shooters, but I do appreciate how it looks!

Hello !

We've just released 70,000 lines of C++ code on GitHub - the entire source code, not including the assets, levels, etc. We thought it could be of some use to developers, as we encountered many common issues with Unreal Engine. It's neither a fully open-source project or a tutorial, it's just an ongoing project that happens to be very large.

Highlights of the source code :

- thousands of lines of Slate UI code ;
    - game settings menu ;
    - dynamic control of materials (though the assets also play a major role here) ;
    - spaceship attitude control, weapon system...

It's not something gamers will be interested in, but if you're looking for answers on C++ issues, it could be a good starting point.

New, upgraded sky from NASA material...

Don't forget we released the game's sources : take a look just above

We've just finished one of the trading menus ! Take a look...

This is one of the most complicated menus in the game, bt also the most powerful. You can control all your supplies routes from here.

Samaritan
    I love the design of the 3D assets so much ! Congrats

I've been using your source code for learning Slate for quite some time now.
    What resources did you use to learn Slate?
    I'm still struggling with kinda "basic" stuff I guess. (Right now it's dynamically adding / removing buttons during runtime )

Thanks for doing this, it's been really helping me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast