Helium Rain - A realistic space opera for PC

Bp0ow5p.png&stc=1

Helium Rain is a single player space opera for PC. Orbiting a gas giant, you are alone inside your small ship.
It is up to you yo decide what happens next…

Helium Rain is a trading/fighting/exploration space sim built around realism. We want to build a world that feels real. Everything is precisely calculated, scientifically verified, to ensure that nothing breaks immersion.

We strive for original gameplay as well. Your ships have generators, radiators, weapons, engines, cargo bays or life support systems - they all work together. Every thruster on your ship plays a role. Aim for engines to pin down your enemies, or send them spinning around by destroying power stations. Most of our ships have more than thirty individual parts, some of them twice that !

About

The game is slated for release on Windows and Linux in Q2 2016.
We are, of course using Unreal Engine 4 as well as the open-source Blender modeler. Some of the technologies used with UE4 include the Slate UI, layered materials, fully dynamic lighting…

We are a team of two engineers with a background in embedded software.

Learn more

We will frequently post updates - pictures, video, making-of… Please don’t hesitate to ask technical questions about how the game is done ! We will always try to answer :slight_smile:

This post is kept updated with the latest images.

This looks awesome looking forward to further updates :slight_smile:

Hi there !

We’ve been working on the navigation system - more on this when we have a full-featured UI :slight_smile:

In the meantime, take a look at our latest ship, the Atlas transporter. It’s the largest ship in the game yet !

looks cool!

Some more work… Using Slate !

Wow…

This is no moon…

Or is it ?

Hi guys,

Really love the ship design and the UI design, very appealing style!

Word of warning though, just this one pic looks pretty bad, I’d ditch it in promo stuff until you get a version of it that looks as nice as all the other stuff:

The planet and the feature ship look good, but the smattering of little red and green squares/triangles look like an old mobile game.

Maybe consider adding trails to ships to imply their thrust vectors and a sense of three dimensional movement?

I love how this is turning out :smiley:

That menu is so crisp!

The ships look awesome!

I do think that the targeting reticule is a bit thick on small targets - maybe beyond a certain point the 4 triangles should shrink in size? Eventually you can’t even see the object in question, just 4 green/red pieces :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks !

Thanks for the feedback !

I’ve just tried making the designators smaller. Here is how it looks like. What do you think ?

The latest news include the settings menu !

Really digging the nice clean UI, looks a bit Destiny-inspired :stuck_out_tongue:

you did that whole thing in slate? that’s impressive.

We did that, and more ! Slate is hard to master but it does let us build some cool menus. Here is the games’ navigation menu, for example.

Hi guys ! Here are some new stations and ships that we built for the game. Enjoy !

https://cdn1.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/560/409/large/gwennael-arbona-tokamakrender.jpg?1448561566

I like the 3D compositions. Its very detailed and complex and the texturing and UVs are top notch!

Thanks ! We’ve also been working on menus :

Looks pretty great. I’m curious, what are you doing to make it feel like a space opera? There’s a little je ne sais quoi required to capture that feel. I’m quite interested. :smiley: