Guys I need advice I plan on using a Tech Preview copy of Windows 10 for the next 9 years.

So I want to grab that free copy of Windows 10 before the offer expires I think in 1 month

This will allow you to use the windows 10 for free for life I think. But it would mean you have to be a beta tester, this is for people who are on vista and not legible for a free copy of windows 10 or those not using genuine copies of windows 7

Any real downside to me doing this? using the tech preview for the next 9 years as my Main OS? on my Main PC? using it as if its a normal windows 10 purchased copy? I did hear the worst is probably microsoft will be able to spy on me. lol

tech preview will expire well before your 9 yrs are up. (unless I missed something major) If you have a key for earlier windows, you upgrade for free yes, but it is also going to be on the cheap side to buy a key. And you dont wanna stay on tech preview anyways, you miss so many updates that way lol.

It’s not going to be a good idea to use that for all that long, just because of bugs–there’s still bugs there and it’s only a month away from release.

The longest that the Tech preview will probably last is until they tech preview Windows 11! (Which I hope is Windows XP2!)

And when can we expect a tech preview of windows 11?

Though I heard MS says this is their last windows with 10

I’f you have a technical preview M$ is giving you the ability to upgrade to Windows 10 Release To Manufacturer. i think for free. (Although im not entirely sure its free.)

If you don’t have Windows 7 or Windows 8 there’s no way to upgrade to retail Windows 10 for free

I don’t think MS is dropping the Windows name.
And for the release of windows 11… (I want XP2!) Possibly 2-3 years? Depending of course how well win10 does commercially and how stable it is.

If your windows 10 preview is activated, you have the ability to upgrade for free.

There was a lot of confusion about that, they aren’t giving it away for free if you sign up for the preview release

and also if you read their info users who own win 7 or 8 and can get it free wont get it till later in the year, it says your download will be scheduled for later this year when upgrading, and they also changed their policy on giving it to users with a pirated win 7 or 8 key(probably wise), now with a pirated key you get an unactivated version with apparently attractive pricing optioms

plus, isn’t only going to be like 20 bucks or something anyways? Thought I remembered hearing that on an MS stream awhile back.

Yes they are, you just have to stay a windows insider after launch, and your windows will be active.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

yeah the only drawbacks are really for laptop users as the telemetry data sending functions apparently use extra battery power, its not a bad deal really and I think you can also get the pro version, you just have to be a lifetime beta tester

What prevents you from just uninstalling if you’re not happy with it?

Once you try it, you will be happy with it :stuck_out_tongue: been using for months and months :stuck_out_tongue: , but again I like to stay current with my software(or ahead of the game when I can, ie: beta builds)

I just installed it and been using windows 10 a few hours now and it is AMAZING.!!!

It is very stable this is like getting a free windows 10 so long as I continue to be a beta tester for life. LOL And I am guessing new builds coming out will be more stable since Microsoft won’t be time constrained as they are now?

If future builds are anything like what I have here, I am on board.

Only downside is you could get a broken build and you *will *go to reinstall everything.

rtm is out in a month, so there will be less builds now, though there has been a few over the last few days, the big bugs have been worked out for awhile. Told you WalkingDead, its actually really nice.

There won’t be a Windows 11. Microsoft wants Windows 10 to be their last windows which will continuously receive feature updates, like Unreal Engine 4.