Wind and foliage

Hi there,

What is the workflow for getting the wind actor to work with custom meshes?
Is that explained anywhere?

I did it like this:

Now the problem is, that the whole plant is waving. Not just the leaves, even they have a separate material. Need to find a way to attach them in UE4, if it is even possible.

You can change that when you add vertex colours to your grass -> then just apply a constant vector with a value of 0 to the painted part and the rest should be moved with the wind. For that you have to use a lerp node. :slight_smile:

Wind Actor with custom meshes: https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?59717-The-correct-way-to-setup-Wind

Thanks but there’s almost zero information regarding it in the thread you linked. There’s a link posted by but even that is completely unrelated to custom meshes. That’s for SpeedTree.

Anybody? :slight_smile:

I really don’t understand this. So i have a plant exported from Blender. It has two materials, one for leaves and one for the trunk. For my trunk, i simply have a material with a color and for my leaves i tried to follow your instruction, but now nothing moves.

Have you vertex painted your mesh in blender? + connect the WPO with your diffuse texture

You can also paint a mask and use in WindWeight

grassWindMask_001.jpg

There is really no tutorial to setup custom foliage (non-speedtree) in a way to react to the wind actor ? this is very basic feature but I find nothing about it…

This is pretty overwhelming. I did all from scratch. Here is a picture of my plant in Blender, after vertex painted:

c9fca6c9874baf3b8d47b2db03ea3b58c05d6689.jpeg

And here is my material so far. I’m sorry but i don’t understand what to replace and where. It’s all just a lot of fancy words… :confused:

5d8ae99a66ac2f5969eadf9d043c72699ad2f9df.jpeg