Can the KiteDemo be edited at all? I'm getting empty levels

Hi,

I’ve downloaded the KiteDemo and attempted to open GDC_Landscape_01, but all I see is empty space and some flat meshes with water and grass materials on them. However, If I attempt to play the level it starts just fine.
If I try to open any of the individual levels, they’re all black. This has been described before by another user.

Materials are compiled and I’ve tried to recompile them. I’ve tried to focus on the objects in the outliner, but everything’s still empty or black.

Any hints?

the scenes are not empty there is no lighting because lighting is all done on a separate level so switch to unlit view or add light so you can see what’s there and edit each level as you like

actually in the main level you cant see anything because its all hidden.

@Stefan Lundmark, open the GDC_Landscape_01 map, go to Window>Levels and you will see a list, just double click on the bits you want to see in the map(eg:Height_x1_y0) and a chunk of the level will appear.

hope that helps:)

I couldn’t believe you would have to go trough such a difficult process as editing the level without lighting or in pieces, thanks - that was it!

It’s a big level. Would choke some machines if everything was up and running when you loaded it in.

Who said everything should be up and running when you load it? :slight_smile:

For some reason this doesn’t seem to do anything for me. I’ve double-clicked on everything in list of levels, and nothing happens.

Not sure if it’s related, but I also get an error when I try “launching”–I can “play” just fine however. I’ve tried on two different machines which meet target specs (CPU: 6 core @4.5Ghz, Ram 64Gb) except for the GPU, which is only a GTX 670–the other using two “cross-fired” AMD HD 7950s.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Try right clicking and select “load”. In addition make there the sublevels are visible.

Yes this was constantly tricking people on the project even though we reiterated it several times.

We couldn’t have it set to load them all by default since it would have killed our iteration times. Most people were only working on a small part at a time so that gave them the option to only load what they are working on.

Thanks Ryan. Not to hijack this thread completely, but is there something I need to do, before I can “launch”? I get an “unknown error” in the log file.

EDIT
I discovered that I needed to install “Microsoft Visual Studio Community” first… and now the “launch” feature works…