Announcing Section 6 of Survival Game - Adding some polish

Hi everyone!

In the sixth and for now final section of the series we’ll apply a coat of polish to the game.
This includes things like additional sound effects for the zombie, improvements to the AI behavior and fixing the bugs reported by the community!
I’ll be working on improving the layout of some of the classes so you can more easily set up your own game rules or go completely open world.

UPDATE: Section 6 docs now available!

Visit Project Page to get started!

5e68a218fd55d38aa1ae7815fd4d568cec3c1719.jpeg

As always you can follow along with the latest source through GitHub!

I’ve been looking into the kite demo assets too, with 6.4GB it’s a bit heavy to put up on repo. Here are some quick 'n dirty local experiments with a grass material and some of the kite assets.

d0ec994a7dc4d11d8612919fe55dd93887da2173.jpeg

faf4c3ebd428366821d43d1d0e7309a9ffc55209.jpeg

And finally the same scene with only grass applied to the landscape and a few assets placed in the foreground. Getting to know the landscape tools myself for the first time, and 4.8 brings some additional awesome features! (Note that Survival is still running on 4.7.X at this time)

fd2461101217b1050ff6beeea0a19171c4264630.jpeg

Looks good that map :slight_smile:
Last section :frowning:

This great map will be the colophon to this fantastic SurvivalGame Series. Will there many changes on source code working on 4.8 with respect to 4.7?. Great work on this last section again.

You are doing a great work! I hope to see another serie of your tutorials.

amazing map :smiley:

Hey guys! Yes I am working on upgrading the project to 4.8 as we speak. Should be up on Github later today.

Very cool, thank you so much for doing this!

too bad this is the last section…You were my only learning resource! :frowning: I thank you again for helping out thousands of people who are a bit puzzled, just like me!

You guys are very welcome!

Thanks a ton . Hope to see you doing more projects here. Really enjoyed watching this project evolve. If you ever happen to add any more features a lobby and an inventory would have been nice for this type of game.

With 4.8 support now included I started to upgrade the zombies…

Sweet! Looking good!

Will this be the last section?

I don’t know what will happen at this time. But expect this to be the last.

While not “Strictly” C++…I just had to give the zombie material an upgrade for the project.

d1a1382b8f8254c0810edb88365f4c32982bab08.jpeg

Although not to be C++, this work with oxidized materials are awesome. Excited to study it :slight_smile:

Looks like there are some problems:
A. When crouch in the air, the camera have a bad smooth.
B. When crouch looking to the ground the camera have another bug with the smooth
C. (Problem in the engine 4.8) The navmesh don’t work at play time if rebuild in the 4.8 in the default map + need change the size because the zombies don’t cross the door of the house in the default map.

“The Attack of the Robot Zombies!” I only can see that phrase when I saw the pictures jajajaja. I really loved this tutorial and i’m a bit sad to see is close to his end. I hope you make another one with another game genre someday :slight_smile:

Thanks I added these to the Trello. The door width is a known issue, I’ll have to see how I can best fix that to it works on all maps.

I hope so too!