Question on Epic asset usage in Marketplace content

Is it permissible to use textures from the Epic sample project in a Marketplace submission? I bought a pack recently that used the macro variation alpha texture in a material, and was a bit surprised to see it there.

You can download Epic’s examples and you can use it’s everything even in your commercial projects.

Necro, no, using Epic sample content in a Marketplace submission isn’t allowed. Can you PM me where you found this?

And to clarify the usage terms of Epic’s content – you can’t use them in Marketplace submissions, but you can use them in your game, but only if it’s in UE4.

Out of curiosity why is that? Epic is seemingly allowing people to use sample content for their commercial games, even so far as to upload minimally altered example games to steam which people have been protesting but epic maintains falls within the guidelines. So long as the content pack isn’t solely based off of the example content, shouldn’t it be allowed? If it’s merely a texture, it seems relatively harmless. Especially since everyone is already given access to the same content, so it wouldn’t be as if the developer referenced above was trying to sell a texture but employ the use of a universally available engine asset in their pack. Just my thoughts on it.

I’d really prefer not to get someone in trouble, even if it’s only them having to change one texture. I was just wanting clarification, since that particular texture is used in so many of Epic’s sample materials. It almost feels like part of the engine. When I did my pack, it was a bit of a pain to make my own macro variation texture, and it didn’t turn out nearly as nice.

Maybe Epic should create a set of scripts to run against content when you receive it? For instance, compile a list of all of the sample content textures, and check all of the file names in the submitted pack to make sure none match. If they match, check it to make sure it’s not Epic’s. This wouldn’t catch someone who changed the file name, but it would at least get the ones who used it innocently (forgot to replace that particular asset).

My feelings as well.

Personal opinion I would feel a bit ripped off if it became a habit if products showed up in the market place that included assets from the free samples that I get for free.

What if someone was to submit a product that contained a texture asset from a product purchased in the marketplace?

On the other hand if you make a product and give it away for free…

Bottom line I’m sure there would be more than a few developers paying for what they get for free, me included, getting upset and it would all start with yea sure go ahead and use just one texture.

That would be different FrankieV, the marketplace guidelines are explicit about using content purchased in the marketplace in your own packs. For example I couldn’t purchase a rock pack, and then throw one of the rocks into my asset pack. This thing about using Epic’s content however was largely unknown I think because most people see “use free in your commercial UE4 projects” and didn’t think that would exclude the marketplace since it is technically no different from any other project in UE4 such as a game.

I’m really surprised seeing it’s not allowed to use them in marketplace packs after they were allowed for commercial projects.
Each pack that goes on marketplace is valued according to artist’s own content, and if they included some samples like a macro variation texture mentioned in the OP it’s gone there for free. Doesn’t mean they have taken the free content and are selling it to people there.