Using the MMO kit by CodeSpartan at home

Since CodeSpartans MMOkit is only listed in the market place, I thought I might share a little bit here about it.

First, you will find the kit here

Secondly, a little about me. I have no Model exp… I don’t code but I have a dream.

Edited here: too out many words. suffice to say: I Used a lot of engines>

Now, present day:

I have to say… CodeSpartan is patient and has helped me with every hiccup I had with the kit. Not because the kit has issues mind you… the issues were ALL on my end…

He helped with compiling the engine to get the server part of the kit to work. None of it was anything that he had to do, after all… the kit is what it is, and none of my issues were with the kit. He really is incredibly helpful.

With all that being said… here is a list of what I did to get this fine kit up and running… in my home on my Windows 10 Pro server.
And with that… here is how I got the kit up and running. (With some help)

On your production machine: ( My Game server/web server are a separate machine. My production machine is where I build landscape, place mobs and compile the game server .exe and such.)

Goto Git hub

1.Get the source with the ‘Download ZIP’ button on the right. (Thank you SO VERY much Epic for making this Tarly proof.)

2.Install Visual Studio 2013. All desktop editions of Visual Studio 2013 can build UE4, including Visual Studio Community 2013, which is available for free. Be sure to include the MFC libraries as part of the install (it’s included by default), which we need for ATL support.

3.Open your source folder in Explorer and run Setup.bat.

4.Run GenerateProjectFiles.bat to create project files for the engine. It should take less than a minute to complete.

5.Load the project into Visual Studio by double-clicking on the UE4.sln file. Set your solution configuration to Development Editor and your solution platform to Win64, then right click on the UE4 target and select Build. It may take anywhere between 10 and 40 minutes to finish compiling, depending on your system specs.

6.After compiling finishes, you can load the editor from Visual Studio by setting your startup project to UE4 and pressing F5 to debug.

Now… the MMOkit set up on the server: (My game server and web page server.)

Note: this process can be used on any windows machine. Windows 10 was used to see if it could be done.
(guide assumes you will use port 81 ((my ISO blocks port 80))…)

Install Windows 10. ( I used Win10 Pro flash drive installer (sold at Bestbuy))
Do windows updates
Give machine a unique machine name
Give machine a unique ip under network adapter settings.
Turn off firewall.
Install IIS
Open IIS manager and change default site bindings to port 81
Install NOIP: http://www.noip.com/
set as service under file/prefs in Noip.
build host redirect to port 81 (Done by logging into NOIP.com and adjusting host.)
Port forward port 81 in your router to the ip of the windows 10 machine.
Install Microsoft web platform installer:

Click Microsoft web installer “download now” button
Click “free download”

After the install click products at the top of the page.
Search for php 5.6.0 click add then install at the bottom of the page.
Accept any prerequisites that web platform says are needed.
Click accept.
After install PHP manager did not install… says it needs IIS 7 or higher.
Continued on.

Read ALL the php web link listed just below this before starting to configure PHP.ini:

http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.iis7.php
ON server run appwiz.cpl
Click “turn on windows features”
Follow step 3 under http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.iis7.php
Click next. Allow windows to update thru windows update click next.
After files are updated… got to x86/php/5.6 and look for php.ini.production and open it with note pad.
Follow “Example #1 CGI and FastCGI settings in php.ini”
Use edit and find to locate fastcgi.imper and remove the ; from in front of fastcgi.impersonate = 1
repeat the process for the next 3 in the example file.
Make sure the values to the right of the settings are correct. IE either a 0 or a 1 as shown in the example file.2
Under Windows 10 pro, I did not have to create “Using IIS Manager user interface to create a handler mapping for PHP”

Make a text file that includes the following:

< html>
< title>PHP Check File</title>
< body>
< ?php
print “<h1>Congratulations, your server can process PHP!</h1>”;
print “<h3>Here you can view the PHP configuration on your server</h3>”;
phpinfo( );
exit();
?>
< /body>
< /html>

Save as phpchk.php
Move file to inetpub\wwwroot < or where ever you set up your web page

Open IE browser on php server and got to http:\localhost\phpchk.php

Open browser and try phpchk again using the FQDN you made at NoIP.

If both work then set up MySQL and MySQL workbench, then

Follow MMO set docs to get your MMOkit up and running.

I hope that this post will do a couple things… Give exposure to the MMOkit and

I hope that this post will do a couple things… Give exposure to the MMOkit and maybe help a person start on their dream using this fine kit.

Special thanks to:

Codespartan - for not only the kit, but all the help I needed to get there.
RoyAwesome - for all his help and programming talent
[EMAIL=“indiegraphics@gmail.com”]Dave the Artist - For ALL his art that he has done for me thru various engines.
Ryan at Ironbelly Studios - For his help getting toon started and AWESOME pricing for their work.
Figther5347 - Various issues and questions.
Moderator that helped me with DDS convert issues. (I had forgotten their name.)

Code Spartan has released the new kit version, and it runs under 4.8

Redid tut using Windows 10 Pro

Hopefully UE4.10 will have DX12 in non-experimental mode, VS2015 support, and the Oculus runtime will have Win10 official support. Then I can actually start level designing :wink:

Update: Codespartan has released new version for UE 4 4.9 … WOOT!!