Nanobot

Hello.

This is my project “Nanobot”.
It is a game about Nanobots fighting in a body of former Spy.
Initially it was intended as a mix of Syndicate, Megarace and Descent with a Nanobot fighting various Illnesses.
Right now he with his Team (3 additional Nanobots) will fight other Nanobots (I like to call them AngryBots) with help of young Scientist.
All action will be happening inside human body, in lymphatic system, veins and various organs.
There will be many Bot types with various skills and functionality.

A little background of project itself.
I came with the idea very long time ago but back then it was just an idea.
Since then I’ve finished schools, got to Game Dev and tried to make some more complicated games like AAA RPGs.
I started developing it in 2012 as a some simple project to start with UDK (It was either that or some boardgame).
After few months of learning unreal script and prototyping I read that in UE4 there will be no unreal script so I stopped the project and focused on something else.
Last year, after buying UE4 and some messing around I revived the project developing it since then (with 3 months gap when I was mentally recovering after release of our project at work).

Finished Prototypes (basic-level functionality):
Weapon system
Flying AI
Rolling AI
Walking AI
Aiming
Simple levels
Jetpack
Organic level creation

Challenges ahead:
Bike Vehicle movement
Complex AI relations
AI Teamwork
Cover System
Context based gameplay

• QTE
  • Boss Fights
    Good Flying AI
    Matching gameplay balance between Mouse and Gamepad inputs.
    Smooth animation blending
    Cutscenes

Features under considerations:
Multiplayer, both on-line and split screen

Rejected features:
Gameplay based on walking on all walls

• due the probable problems with Camera and AI
    Skate Rolls movement
  • “ground” will be too uneven for this

Some screenshots (some from 3ds max not engine itself) and videos:

Nanolina.jpg
NanoSoldier.jpg

Nice work on the Scene. Would be nice to see some videos of the GamePlay (:

You could try to make an invisible layer on the ground to allow Skate Rolls again, or make sure that the camera lag is high enough
so that the wobble won’t be caught instantly. Just some ideas.

Yeah I thought about faking collision, which I do actually, but I have to big bumps to make it work.
I would have to make most of the grounds almost entirely flat but I doesn’t go along with my vision of gameplay.
Thanks for suggestion anyway.

I’m Still tweaking mechanics for some gameplay videos, coming soon…

Sounds good, I like your logo its really nicely done.

Thanks, I hope it would be something similar at the end.
I doubt I could finish this game with this title due trade mark ownership is held by other company.

Awesome, very interesting setting. How you made collision for levels, put collision per poligon?

Yes, per poligon but I use many modules for each level, not one for entire level.
Right now It is just a non tessellated version from max (no turbosmooth).

Recent update of main characters

Some update to keep thread alive.
Capture of playable level prototype:
[video]First Playable Level - Prototype - YouTube

Made some test of implementation of Cinematics + Lab Scientist Design:
Imgur
[video]https://flic.kr/p/HdmHKz[/video]

In June I should finally have new graphics card so next captures should be in better quality.

My last update was nearly year ago.
I planned for end of May 2017th to have something new to show up.
Indeed I’ve made a lot of changes, new features etc, but since December 2016 a lot of bugs slows me down…
I’ve found out that for some reason my derived classes in AI was cousin massive crashes, some old UMG widgets corrupted project on even small changes, for about two months I couldn’t package ma game in shipping mode and today finally I’ve overcame all those to stumble upon a bug which in some cases makes perfectly good blueprint un-compilable in on of three (so far) random versions.
Also I can’t set an empty map as a default Editor map because editor crashes at startup.
I know it sounds like too much frustration, but unfortunately I am very frustrated.
Hopefully 4.17 bring some hope.
I planed to implement a lot of Nvidia Tech: Flex, NvFlow, Volumetrics (I plan to use them besides those from 4.16) and VXGI.
Maybe next week when I cool down I’ll post some pictures or videos.

Update:
Still cleaning up mess after project collapse.
Also converted project to NVidia Merge + Houdini.
Optimizing AI from that:

Nice environment.