Development on the Samsung S6

Hi all,

I am quite new to this and I will be trying to develop something for the S6 so I hope you dont mind me asking some questions.

Are the considerations for developing on the S6 are the same for the older models like S4 as stated in the link below?

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/GearVR/BestPractices/index.html#customizeduvs

For e.g textures maximum size is 2048x2048 as stated in the link below or the maximum vertice count is 65000?

And is PBR Shading supported for developing on the device as well?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks for reading my questions.

I would love to know more information on the S6 since it is using the new Exynos processor. I have one myself and thought about dipping in. Also does anyone know anything about using Nvidia’s AndroidWorks for use in UE4? Does it work? I know it’s very similar to TADP.

Hi Jamesong,

I spoke to the Android dev regarding that device. You should have no problems beginning development with it, but you should consider the documentation limitations as still standing at this point in UE4 development on mobile devices.

That does not mean that you can’t attempt to work outside those parameters in your own development, you just need to consider those as possible issues to roll back if you exceed the limitations and begin seeing problems in your project.

Good luck! If you are able to make progress outside the documentation, be sure to post here for other users.

Since it is using the Exynos processor what is the build type for when packaging the apk? (ATC, DXT, ETC? )

Thanks!

Hi LandonR,

The S6 uses an ARM Mali-T760 GPU which supports ASTC. ETC1 and ETC2 are also supported.

Thanks for the response, works great!
BTW the docs regarding how to packaging a project mentions…For Android, there will be multiple selections. See the Android Texture Formats page for more information. Do you know where this page is located? I found https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Android/GettingStarted/4/index.html but it doesn’t mention support for ATSC

Also is there a way to automate the packaging process via code/scripts?

Thanks again!

I just found the command line utility so probably could use that.:slight_smile:

So I build a sample app using Unreal and installed it and run it on S6. It says ‘To open this application, insert your device into your Gear VR’. But when I insert the phone it jumps straight into the main Gear VR app. I can’t seem to run the sample app, it is being bypassed or something. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

This is the what I get when I run my build of one of the samples. Kind of bull https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58808849/IMG_0037.JPG

Hi CodeJingle,

First, are you trying to use GearVR? If not, make sure you have the “Configure the AndroidManifest for deployment to GearVR” checkbox in Android Project Settings off.

If you are, make sure you have a proper oculussig_* file for your device. You can generate this at https://developer.oculus.com/osig/. You will need to place this in your project’s Build/Android/assets directory so it is included in the APK.

Yes at first I was doing the signature incorrectly, that was the case when the app would be instantly terminated. But now I am confident I have resolved the signature issue. The new issue is that when the app starts, which is only after I plug it into the GearVR for S6 Headset with an S6 phone, is that I am not getting the correct split-view, and then I’m stuck on a loading screen where it says “0MB out of 0MB” indefinitely which is questionable at best. I built one of the samples with Unreal Engine on Mac. I linked a screenshot with it running connected to a GearVR

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58808849/IMG_0037.JPG

I’ll check if I configured the manifest correctly. I left the Mac at work, so I’ll run through the entire process again tonight with Unreal Engine on a Windows 8 machine.

After walking through the entire process again for building Gear VR on Windows instead of OS X, the built image seems to run fine now on the Gear VR for S6 Headset. I may have missed a step on the OS X side, I can revisit that later this week. For now I’m glad to have something that works, even if Windows is not my preference.

I figured out how to screenshot so have an eye or two full of wall lol

Hi CodeJingle,

The loading screen looks like either the OBB wasn’t installed on the device or the verify failed. I see you have it working now, though. You may want to turn off the virtual joysticks for VR; you can do this in the Input Project Settings by clicking on the Default Touch Interface dropdown and selecting clear to remove DefaultVirtualJoysticks.

Thanks so much I was just about to figure out how to do that. I already swapped out the gun for a hand and removed the cross hair.

Yes I found out last night that a straight copy of the apk will result in the ridiculous non-VR notification window. You guys need a much better “you didn’t install it correctly” notification. Ideally one that is actually in a VR view not a single screen but either way something better than “PAUSE DOWNLOAD 0MB / 0MB”

having exactly the same problems…any fix

Sorry if I go a little bit off topic, but I have another questiong regarding the S6 and all these new devices (Mali 7xx, Adreno 4xx, 5xx), in theory OpenGL ES 3.1+AEP is supported on these devices. How is UE4 OGL3.1 toolchain working with those devices? Are there driver compatibility issues? Anyone tested this?

Thank you,
Martin

The build toolchain seems to work fine with OpenGL ES 3.1 if you build UE4 from source, though for some reason I have to build with both OpenGL 2 and 3 enabled. If I try and do a build with just 3 then it won’t work. Hopefully that helps.