Isn't blender good enough for game development?

I have seen alot of people in game development forums saying blender isn’t good enough for game development, what can be the reason they think that and what do you guys think?

Well it isn’t the “Industry Standard” and 3DS /Maya are. /Maya have more support for plugins and what not.

As far as I can see, Blender can do as much or if not more than /Maya. Plus it’s free.

@iRageGGB: Not sure what you consider “Industry Standard” … but that is a discussion is for another day.

Blender is just as capable as /Maya and the scripting language in Blender is actually based off a proper scripting language, so it as powerful if not more powerful then MaxScript … but that is also a discussion for another day.

The basic issue with Blender is its steep learning curve … a lot of people (including myself) are overwhelmed by the UI and the learning curve … however once you get the hang of it … there is not much you can’t do in Blender. It does however fall short when it comes to PhysX integration and other cool features like that.

A lot of people do pretty well with Blender … so I would say it is good enough … it comes down to preference. Some people swear by Blender … others swear by /Maya … that is the benefit of freedom of choice.

Just two cents of mine:

For game developing, what you need is:

a) Model
b) Unwrap
c) Bake maps
d) assign material slots
e) rig
f) animate

No software does it faster/more convenient/more intuitive and better than blender. Blender is the ultimate modeling machine.
It’s a spaceship, takes you wherever you want to. But you have to know how.

on the other hand is a tool from eighties. - Disaster
Maya somewhat better but not much really. - Mediocrity

I am not biased (as much as it is possible in human power). I’ve used all three of them. Nothing comes close to blender.

And there’s also MODO. :slight_smile:

Can you specify what exactly in the game developing? If you’re talking about overall 3D presence, you’ll have to choose between Autodesk and Blender. As people told you, Blender is just as capable as autodesk products, there’s pros and cons for both of them. The artist is most important piece behind these tools. And by overall I mean, Modeling, Rigging, Animation, Texturing, UVs and so on.

ZBrush in my opinion is the best for modeling and creating content. Texturing is kinda good, there’s interesting techniques and options. You have really powerful tools as well. You can do UVs too. Price. -$800
Modo as long as I’ve heard is not designed to create content from scratch, but import something and modify it. There’s a new version of it so maybe they have changed that. Price. -$1350-1400
Sculptris is based on ZBrush, but free.

But if you’re looking for overall decent 3D software to do everything, Blender is amazing. I know most people are not used to believe free things are good and there’s always a catch, but blender is remarkable exception of that. If Blender get priced $5000 people will start asking if Autodesk is good enough.

EDIT:

I’m sorry… I’ve totally forgot about Maya LT. I think it was $30 per month.

Maya LT is made just for Game development. I would pay these $30, not because superior quality, but because I’ll have easier way to find a job in the industry later. Someone mentioned industry standard. And that’s true. When it comes time to work for serious companies most of them are not looking Blender, but Autodesk, The Foundry, Pixologic. Because it’s a safe call, you can expect support.

Well when I say “Industry Standard” I mean a lot artists use /Maya over Blender. If you go to an art school or somewhere where you learn 3D modelling and art they’ll most likely use or Maya. It’s what the industry teaches, so it’s used more by game .

@Speiderful
Blender, has a steep learning curve. But once you learn the hot keys it becomes fairly easy. Once you learn the hot keys the UI is pretty much not used, and the hot keys aren’t the difficult to learn.

Just watch some basic Blender modelling tutorials and stuff and you’ll learn/recognize what each hot key does and you’ll learn quickly.

Thats Amazing News, thank you guys.

I love blender i just got concerd when i heard from people that it missed some important features.

Some people where saying it was OK
For small hobbys projekt but completely useless for bigger and more serious projects

Blender was not good enough a long time ago, but times have changed and now it is a solid piece of software that definitely could be used in serious development and easily extendable if you know how to write plugins.

I get you … yeah makes sense now. 8-}

In my opinion blender is perfect for game development, because it’s free and it has all needed features that all other 3d programs also have. Beside that it also gets regular updates with cool new features. Of course it’s a little bit more complicated to learn, but after some time you will love it! :smiley:

Seems like it’s perfect time to master blender now when it’s even on steam:P
maybe it may be an idea to pick up python again and look into the plugin creation of blender:)

This tutorial series covers all basics: :slight_smile:

Your logic is a bit backwards, the schools teach and Maya because want to hire people that use and Maya, because they use and Maya.

Personally I use Softimage because out of the first 3 applications I learned, , Maya, and XSI, it was the most artist firendly, quickest, and had all the features I needed. Maya was too menu heavy, had a lot of hidden options, and generally felt bloated. The biggest con of Softimage was that it’s not widely used, and there’s less community made plug-ins and content. Now that Softimage is dead I plan on learning Modo, which has increasing popularity by professional artists in the indusrty, lots of artist friendly tools, fast for modeling, big updates, etc. I really should give Blender a go, but it’s really less commonly used by professional artist than even Modo, and it doesn’t seem to be designed with artist in mind.

Blender is definitely good enough for dev, a tool is just a tool, as long as it’s not slowing you down and does everything you need, it’s a perfectly valid option.

I’ve used Blender and Maya in a professional environment for quite a few years. I much prefer Blender personally, but it’s a matter of personal preference. If you are looking to learn Blender I heartily recommend learning all the common keyboard shortcuts for scaling, rotating, extruding and the like. Not only are they brilliantly set up but it’s a tremendously fast way to work. You can do things like Scale a cube 24% on the x axis, move it two meters and rotate it 21 degrees without ever touching the mouse.

^^^This^^^

It’s amazing what you can get in a free program. But if you want to get a job in the industry it might be an issue–outside of indies the number of developers using Blender is probably in the single digit percentages if that.
There’s probably things it still lacks compared to Maya/3ds , perhaps some things it has that the others don’t. Last I checked, it was still getting features that were very standard in other programs.

Hey Everyone,

My name is and I am the MODO/MARI Indie Advocate for The Foundry.

I want to start off by saying that we have a lot of respect for Blender. We love what they’ve done to further 3d and opensource communities. I do want to clarify that MODO is and always has been a “create from scratch” solution. MODO offers modeling, sculpting, painting, effects and animation tools in one cohesive, easy-to-use content creation package, with unlimited network rendering capabilities and MeshFusion Boolean tools included.

So is MODO right for Game Development?

Let’s here it straight from some developers themselves and see some artwork samples:

Tor Frick (Also known as Snefer on TF forums)-
Drone
Some of the art I made for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. Most of the game was created in modo, both assets and levels.

Wolfenstein: The New Order
UDK- Space Station

Joel Mongeon (The Foundry Forums)-
Halo 2 Anniversary Master Chief and Hunter
I had the pleasure of remastering Master Chief and the Hunter for Halo 2 Anniversary which is included in the Halo: Master Chief Collection on Xbox One.

High res, in game mesh, unwrapping and baking all done using modo and MeshFusion. Textured using dDo and Photoshop.

fattkid (The Foundry Forums)-
Halo 4 Assets

Tidal Blast- (Unreal Tournament Contributor)

Sanzaru Games-
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Gearbox Software-
Borderlands 2

Naughty Dog-
Pre-Visualization for Games

I don’t want to start a software war here at all because MODO has always worked well with others, but if you haven’t heard the news yet, MODO 901 is coming out tomorrow with a much cheaper price point then 3DS and Maya: click here for more info!

We’ve added things like mikkt normal baking, an Advanced PBR viewport, and there’s a lot more game specific stuff coming down the pipe! :cool:

And since Jurassic World is coming out soon which I’m super excited about here’s some Jurassic level sculpting from Kenneth Finlayson
901 Sculpting and Layer test
Here is an asset I made completely in Modo to test the new multi-resolution layered sculpting in 901. I personally had not made any serious sculpting attempts in Modo for a few years, but I am happy to say with each iteration of Modo the sculpting has continued to be refined and the capabilities improved. If you have not played with Modo’s sculpting for a bit, it is certainly worth another play. P.S. The render is still only a 750K poly version with a generic layer noise on top.

PS: Check out our developed to help all levels of users gain access with low priced subscription and perpetual license options.

MODO/MARI Indie Advocate
The Foundry

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
~Master Yoda

I know the keyboard shortcuts, and I do prefer writing the values over using the mouse:)

iv only recently started using blender ( its the program used in my game design course) and I feel like iv been rushed by a troll…its ui is like a giant saying what up and stomping me, but after looking at a few tutorials its not as hectic as it was at first, I don’t know if this is relevant but from the point of view of some one jumping into game design and learning the ropes that’s my 2 cents worth ^_^.