User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spline-based mesh generation

Red face Spline-based mesh generation

Hello everyone!

4.8 have been released for couple of days now, and there is this new feature that allows you to draw polygons in the world.

I wanted to play a bit with it, but accidently made spline-based generation, that generates objects in real-time.

Here is the video demo of what i've done.

0:00 - Simple cylinder generation
    0:50 - Generation by spline-based shape
    4:18 - Generation along spline
    I'm very sorry for a long video.. Wanted to show all the possibilities.

Features:
    • Cylinder generation (Radius and height)
    • Cylinder taper
    • Show/Hide Caps
    • Side count
    • Custom shape mesh generation (Makes rounded meshes based on spline shape. Like Lathe modifier in 3dsMax.).
    • Generation along spline (Takes shape and extrude it along another spline)
    • Iteration support
    • Closed splines support (I don't know why, but it works only in real-time. In vewport mesh will still has a hole)
    • Invert normal support
    • Material support of course
    • Everything is commented, as well as every variable.

Next version overview: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?69358-Spline-based-mesh-generation&p=288842&viewfull=1#post288842

Download: https://yadi.sk/d/fztgo-GGgWhhM
    Made with 4.8 P1 and wont work on any versions below 4.8

Luminary
    So cool !!!! Thanks in advance for this gift (after pipes and inventory !!! )^^

Quote Originally Posted by AlFlakky View Post
    To Moderators: Could you please fix topic name to "Spline-based mesh generation".
    Done.

10 char limit

Cool, I was just thinking of making something like this myself. Now I don't have to

The download site doesn't work for me though. Would it be possible to put the project on Github?

Quote Originally Posted by karltheawesome View Post
    Cool, I was just thinking of making something like this myself. Now I don't have to

The download site doesn't work for me though. Would it be possible to put the project on Github?
    Hmm. It should work..

Try this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa02j41p3gf5tjk/SplineMeshGenerator.uasset?dl=0

That one worked! Thanks

Just found out, that there was Custom Mesh function before 4.8. And the new one is Pocedural Mesh Component that allows to do much more awesome stuff, including UV's, normals and tangents.

I'll play with it and make something similar to my current generator, but with such functions as UV's and smoothing. Well.. I'll try to make

Samaritan
    This is coooooool....need to play with it. Thanks for sharing!
    Carlos Montero | @cman2k | Technical Art Director @neoglyphic
    Working on Sunborn Rising and the Neofur Plugin | I made Black Mesa

Playing with new Procedural mesh..

I did the same system, but now it supports smoothing and UVs (Cylindrical). And also some information stuff, like Normal and Tanget visualization or Tris and Vert Count.

Here is the first screenshot

Do you like GIFs? ^^

Here is some

All of these features will be in the next version, so wait a bit. I will release beta soon. (I feel like making 3D application )

Spline-based rounded generation

Generate rounded objects by defining spline's shape. This shape will generate vertexes and polygons around actor's center.

Extruding shape along spline

You can define path, by wich your shape will be pulled. Great for making tunnels, pipes or roads.

Iteration support

Change iteration count to make your object be more smoothed.

You can close splines to make loops

You can close splines to make seamless geometry. UV's will also fits new properties.

You can scale UVs.

You do not need to scale your textures inside materials, just do it right on object's instance.
    By the way.. Texture applies around geometry or along spline

Uniform topology.

Uniform your topology to make your polygons generate with almost same size. Also effects UV's.

Great stuff, looking great!
    Sr. Programmer @ CCP Games, Working on VR game "Sparc" (prev. EVE: Valkyrie) | @SiggiGG
    Check out my procedural mesh examples

Very cool man

Is it possible to create spline-based roads?

Champion

Awesome.
    *When go Epic to add the advanced splines... ??
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

The default object is the cylinder. Can I use cube?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    The default object is the cylinder. Can I use cube?
    I will add more primitives, yeah..

This looks super useful! However.. I'm not getting any UVs and 4.8 Prev3 crashes when I try to build a starter scene (chairs, table and sculpture) with an instance of the generator placed in the scene.

Any chance of adding intermediate splines to modify a lofted surface along the way? (Adding splines in the middle and at the end to sculpt the shape

Infiltrator
    very very cool. I like.

Quote Originally Posted by bzxo View Post
    This looks super useful! However.. I'm not getting any UVs and 4.8 Prev3 crashes when I try to build a starter scene (chairs, table and sculpture) with an instance of the generator placed in the scene.

Any chance of adding intermediate splines to modify a lofted surface along the way? (Adding splines in the middle and at the end to sculpt the shape
    Well. Why don't u get UV's? You must set them as well as vertexes and other stuff. Or.. Are you talking about my BP, that can be downloaded from the first post? If so, then it is my previous version. I will release my newt version with UV's and smoothing groups very soon.

And yeah, I'm thinking about Lofing to.. But right now I'm busy with making Smoothing groups support.

Yeah I thought so was hoping the first post had been updated with the latest version of the BP. Sitting tight!

thanks you

Luminary

This is very cool. Is it possible to save created meshes as assets for reuse, or are they currently tied to being a specific asset type?

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    This is very cool. Is it possible to save created meshes as assets for reuse, or are they currently tied to being a specific asset type?
    I did wonder about this to.. But there is no way to make it reusable. Export to FBX does not export generated geometry (Should I request feature maybe?). The only way I see, is to open a project, migrate BP and then Copy-Paste actor to the new project. Just tested out, it works. But no way to save as asset

Is this implemented in C++ or BP? Either way it's awesome.
    Trevor Lee
    State Machine Studio
    @StateMachines

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by AlFlakky View Post
    I did wonder about this to.. But there is no way to make it reusable. Export to FBX does not export generated geometry (Should I request feature maybe?). The only way I see, is to open a project, migrate BP and then Copy-Paste actor to the new project. Just tested out, it works. But no way to save as asset
    I guess this is the problem with it being entirely blueprint based - had it been C++, it would have been entirely possible, but thinking about it, the functionality needed to save as an asset won't be exposed at all. I might have a poke around in the code base later and see what's missing.

I've had a bit of a look at making something like this into an asset. To start with it needs to be C++, you also need to separate the component into a UObject and component and make a bunch of support classes for the asset type.

Custom FXB exporting was also something I looked into. The problem is that all the FXB exporting code is in one engine file and it can't be extended in an external class. In other words a plugin can't export an FXB using the existing system, you need to modify the engine code. I suspect this may be due to licensing requirements for the FXB code provided by Autodesk.

What you can do however is save the data into a static mesh. I've actually got some code for this that uses a base pretty similar to the procedural mesh your using, it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt it. Let me know if you ever make a C++ version and I can send it to you otherwise check out the code for converting a BSP into a static mesh since that's what I based it on.

whoa awesome!

just wondering, does it support collision?
    Help me back! follow me on Twitter

Developer of Elium - Prison Escape

Quote Originally Posted by Chosker View Post
    whoa awesome!

just wondering, does it support collision?
    Yes, it supports it, but physics ignores these objects and I don't know why But I think, that some settings are turned off, so it should work if correct settings are applied.

This is one of the coolest things I found here.

I did not find option for collision, only in the two splines.

Luny :3

Quote Originally Posted by lunyBunny View Post
    This is one of the coolest things I found here.

I did not find option for collision, only in the two splines.

Luny :3
    I, also, am not getting collisions :c

Quote Originally Posted by dotdog20 View Post
    I, also, am not getting collisions :c
    You guys downloading old version. But I haven't released the new one, with collision, UV's and Smoothing.

this is pretty amazing dude!

Kia ora

Could this be set to select from say 4 to 6 textures and place them randomly? eg: a bunch of cobble path seamles textures with a slight difference so it made
    a cobble path the to not look all the same, have some with broken cobbles some cobbles missing, grassy, moss and dirt etc, get where I going I hope.
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hawk; 06-15-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Still hoping to see final version. It'll make so much things easier...

Is it possible to form the initial mesh around a set of vertices? I have a bunch of points in 2D space, and I want to form the mesh perfectly around those points, and then use spline generation to extrude the mesh in creative ways.

Infiltrator
    this is absolutely brilliant.
    we are working on a vr paint app that supports your mesh creator.

is there a chance that you post your current (beta)release?

respect and love,
    the colorful people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast