[Tutorial] How the framework is split up when doing multiplayer

Hi guys,

Since I had some issues initial figuring out this stuff, and in some cases the documentation didn’t really help, I made a small post explaining how the “major classes” in the gameplay framework are split up between Server & Client when doing networked games, hope you find useful.

http://www.nafonso.com/home/unreal-framework-network

Regards,
Nuno Afonso

Awesome! Thanks for that (:

Good stuff! I would also add GameSession and OSS classes to that list. Because if we are talking about a ‘true’ online game, one will eventualy have to face these entities.

Bookmarked for later! This looks really useful and I’m sure it will come in handy for me soon. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. This was my first mistake trying to do network stuff in UE. I thought that those classes were the basis of creating online games, but I was wrong. I was expecting stuff like “server.Initialize()” or something like that, not open level?listen. So far I’ve been doing simple PC network stuff, whenever I get to something bigger (probably steam integration), I’ll probably post about it.

Sure, I meant precisely for that kind of situation:

For simpler (and non-persistent) stuff you don’t really need to delve into these things.

IMHO this explanation is better than one in the official documentation.

You are planning to publish more theoretical articles like this?

Thank you Nuno Afonso

Thanks ;-] Hopefully they’ll take some of the stuff from there and integrate it into the official docs. I think that on the API there should be an icon that explains to you how this class is split between server & client. IMO it would make things much easier.

I do plan to keep talking about random things like that. Basically as I’m developing my game and I discover how things work I’d like to write a bit about it, because a lot of times the official docs aren’t that clear (maybe if you come from UE3 it is very easy, but as somebody new to the engine I have to search and read on multiple sources to get how things work completely).