Training Stream - Creating a 2D Side-Scroller - April 28th, 2015

WHAT
Developer Relations Technical Artist shows you the basics of building a side-scroller, using Paper 2D. You’ll cover creating sprites, flipbooks, tilemaps, basic movement/abilities, creating obstacles, and a simple UI using the UMG UI Designer.

WHEN
Tuesday, April 28th @ 2:00PM-3:00PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE

WHO

• Developer Relations Technical Artist

RESOURCES:[LINK](Source.zip (25.1 KB)&d=1430225685)

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Edit: The YouTube archive is now available here](Blueprint Creating a 2D Side-Scroller | 01 | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube).

2 Likes

haven’t done much with Paper2D but it is an interesting subject & we always learn something when does a training stream so will definitely try to be there.

Follow along!

Hey y’all!

If you want to follow along as I build the game today, feel free to download this art pack.

Just download and unzip to an easily accessible location on your harddrive.

3 Likes

@AlanNoon Great job putting this together! Very interesting!!!

Looking forward to this one.

Will there be new streams of 2d paper trainings?

I don’t see why not. There aren’t any currently on the schedule, but we’re always setting up more twitch streams.

I’d ABSOLUTELY love a continuation of this.

I got up to 40 minutes and my dude kept falling through the blocks. I guess I’ve done something to a collision value somewhere…

Double check to see that your level sprites and the player Blueprint they are sitting on the same plane along the Y axis. (Into the screen)

It could be that as you are dragging and dropping sprites into world they are snapping to some object in the world such as the Skybox, or the Player Start was moved off axis.

…or if you happened to start using Tilemaps, be aware that they do not support collision in engine versions prior to 4.8. (You can get around this by creating BSP/geometry behind the tilemap for the player capsule to collide with)

Any more tutorials in 2D are greatly appreciated! and thank you for this tutorial. I have def learned a lot and I cannot wait for 4.8 ;)! Tile maps seem like a great thing and I can’t wait to get into the nitty gritty on it.

Alan, Thank you so much. I’ve already gotten down most of these things and quite a bit more, but I still learned many small things and different ways than what I have been using. I am especially grateful to see the workflow of a professional with this engine and I cannot wait to see more! =) I have one question though that I was hoping would be answered in this video, especially when you mentioned Castlevania. Is there a simple way to implement melee attacks with sprites? I have tried so many different things, asked on AnswerHUB, watched every video, and read every tutorial that I can find but the only semi-solution I’ve been able to come up with is projectilemovement component with a short lifespan! I have tediously made it accurate, but it’s not a very fun workflow nor time-efficient. I feel like the only games I can currently make with this are Megaman, Metroid, or Mario style games…Nothing like Castlevania, Double Dragon, or Zelda. Any small advice would be greatly appreciated. And thank you once again for this, it truly made my night!

Thumbs up for a continuation of this!

Thumbs up. Please continue. Itching to try it out.

Alan, this was great! I ran through this in one night and I feel like I’ve got a really good starting point to make a 2d game!!! The art is great and I love how you explain and organize things in the video! Looking forward to things like being able to shoot and also creating enemies!

One thing I’d be interested to see in the future would be a 2d game where you can also walk ‘away from’ and ‘towards’ the screen (as seen in games like Streets of Rage 2 and Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time).

Also, I LOVED that this was in 1080P, made it crystal clear to follow along with. Props!

So I have been playing around with this stuff, very exciting. Enemy with some walking AI, shooting and howto string a bunch of levels together+a simple startmenu would be great for the next stream!

I would also like to request this continues it was fantastic and i would love to see it continued! Ill have to mirror what Zackiz requested above would love to see those things in the next video.

Yeah, a continuation of this one would be great. :slight_smile:

We’re glad you guys enjoyed this so much! is pretty great. :slight_smile:

We will be continuing the 2D sidescroller in future streams. Depending on Alan’s availability, it will probably be in 5 weeks as we already have the next two training streams booked for Advanced AI and Material/Particle Interactions.

Very useful ! Next part please - then You can