How do you play a simple Intro Video to your game in UE4?

Yup! :confused:

Something as simple as playing a .wmv or .mp4 file to intro into your game seems almost impossible!

I have figured out how to use flat planes with static images and use the matinee to intro the game, but I want to play an intro video, and when itā€™s done, load a level!

Is this even possible? If not, what is the possible work around to this?

Thanks for reading :slight_smile: Canā€™t wait to hear from you guys!

Go to the project settings - movies - add a startup movie :slight_smile:
Make sure that itā€™s a mp4 + 1280x720 video

How do you get UE4 logo startup movie to put that in your game?

You can find it on this page. Read the paragraphs however, you probably need to contact Epic to be allowed to use it in a released product.
https://www.unrealengine/branding-guidelines-and-trademark-usage

Thanks for that! Iā€™ll look into that! Is the engine not compatitle with 1080p or 4k Videos? 720p videos seem a bit low for an HD intro video?

THanks again :slight_smile:

From the current state itā€™s not possible to go over 720p -> but Iā€™m not 100% sure if something has changed in the new versions of 4.7 :slight_smile:

Iā€™m still having trouble getting this to play in 4.8. I converted the video to 720p and mp4 format and was prompted to make a copy when I added it to the startup video with no luck. Will the startup video play if I use the stand alone game or do I need to build the game?

Ok, immediately after posting it worked. The only thing I changed was to convert the video to 60fps instead of 30. Not sure why that did anything but it works now.

HI! Itā€™s possible to play a 360 video instead of a normal one? (iā€™m using OCULUS and SAMSUNG GEAR)!
Thank you.

This is not possible. You should probably find a way to play it after the first level is loaded (in-level)

Here are some really useful tips on how to attract and engage viewers by creating appealing video intros: https://valoso/blog/how-to-make-a-killer-youtube-intro/

does this work in version 4.13 ???

this only displays a black screen for meā€¦

only displays a black screen. I have the video in MP4

I manage to make it work, using 720p 24-25fps *.mp4 butā€¦ the startup movie in not enough for me.

I was trying to create an intro and menu like in the video below, but it seems to be impossible ;/.

v=Ryg1slqfc0g

I followed the tutorial step by step and every time I close the media player edit window the thumbnail turns black.

Can anyone help please? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

I have the exact same problemā€¦However suddenly it worked. But then I tried to set it up again for a different video and couldnā€™t make it work!!! Maybe Unreal doesnā€™t reconigses the video, but after saving and closing unreal it suddenly works??? Anyways I have been trying to set videos up many times with out success :frowning:

@d3rox

Creating scene from attached video should not take you longer than 20 minutes.

1. create empty level
  2. set fixed non movable camera
  3. lock mouse so camera does not move around just focuses on the foreground widget
  4. throw simple plane mesh into the scene, move it around so it will perfectly fit camera viewport
  5. create desired main menu widget and add it to the viewport on begin play
  6. add desired video to following folder //content/Movies/
  7. in same folder right click add Media player source class
  8. link to your video and save class
  9. right click again and add Media player class
  10. it will ask you if create texture and sound file out of it - select yes
  11. save all 3 files
  12. on media player properties select ā€œloopā€ and ā€œplay on startā€ attributes
  13. select texture and sound file and drag & drop them onto your mesh
  14. right click on the texture and create material based on that texture and save
  15. select mesh and from right hand properties menu set material for that mesh from recently created file
  16. enter level blueprint
  17. probably have to add sequence to event begin play - follow node and add Open source function
  18. from that function pick your video (will be in the drop down)
  19. Add new variable to level blueprint
  20. pick variable type ā€œMedia playerā€ from default value drop down pick the media class created previously
  21. save everything
  22. drop this variable into blueprint with ā€œgetā€ parameter
  23. connect target ā€œopen sourceā€ function to recently created media player
  24. compile, save, play
  25. on play button your widget will pop up and video will keep playing endlessly.

not sure if this is cleanest way to do it but you will achieve desired effect. Also not sure how ultrawide monitors will cope with that - probs have to make mesh just 30% wider :smiley:

hope that helps

Hi, if possible, what is the name of this stage in the life cycle of game development?