Limit Launcher's download speed

What title says, a lot of people haven’t 200 mb/s download speed, some people share internet (brothers, friends, coworkers, etc…) and content is usually big, so sometimes you want watch a stream or videos or etc… while downloading.

I think will be great an option to limit Launcher’s download speed, so we can download content without eating all the bandwidth.

Hey Ikifenix,

Thank you for your awesome feature request. I have submitted your request. If for any reason you need to reference this report in the future, please refer to: UE-13530

Cheers!

An implementation of UE-13530 would be really awesome. Other launchers like Steam or Uplay are already using a solution for limiting the usage of bandwidth.

Agreed! I was just looking for the setting and was bummed that I couldn’t find it!

Would be awesome to have this.

I’m in too

+1 Download speed moderation would be great. Example settings would be steam download settings, I can cap the download.

I feel like a grave digger but… Are there any updates concerning UE-13530?

The lack of this feature once again confirms for me that even though steam is pretty awful it’s still the best game client out there

:stuck_out_tongue: Steam is the only real client also it isn’t a sh*t like Uplay or Origin which both are many times down, lag and stop you from logging in due to “failed attempts” and don’t have a 2 step verification and don’t give a fu** about information leakage also EA is the worst company with Ubisoft due to TOO RESTRICTIVE DRM also MICRO$OFT is on that list sooner than later due to their DRM Crippled windows 10 games

I would love this feature!! Would make downloading updates for paragon a lot easier as I can leave it running without crippling my internet connection for the rest of my flat :slight_smile:

There are also quite a few requests for this feature from people playing UT.

Vote YES for UE-13530!

What’s the link? :slight_smile:

Will this be soon implemented?

Hi everyone.

The ticket number has changed, but this is still on our radar as OPP-6141 - Add a global download throttle for the launcher to the settings menu. (there is no public link to the ticket).

We don’t have a target date yet, as the implementation is non-trivial, but we shall be reviewing our options in the near future to try to make progress on this.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

@Stephan Ellis how is the status of OPP-6141 - Add a global download throttle for the launcher to the settings menu?
Are the work on it has begun or is this still in waiting pipeline?

greetz

It wouldn’t be too hard to implement I would imagine. It’s not that trivial to many with families that play video games daily. Having all bandwidth saturated for an two+ hours doesn’t help anybody, and I’d imagine it’d clear up some network headroom on your servers, too. It’s a win-win for very little effort, and it’s a deal breaker for many, including myself. C’mon now.

The start of this thread is way back in 2015. It’s impossible that after all this time no one in your design team could come up with a solution. We’re not talking about limiting bandwidth to all sorts of subsidiary applications, just the Epic Games Launcher. Your competitors such as Blizzard, Valve (Steam), and Origin (screw those guys) already have a download speed limiter and this is absolutely a necessary options. In today’s world where lots of us are using our throughput for everything from Netflix and Sling to eMail and corporate VPNs, having an application that just goes full-blast on your connection chokes everything else and makes even the fastest Internet pipes unusable until the download has completed. Please, for the love of whatever deity you believe in, spend a week and focus on putting this simplistic feature in your games launcher application.

Gonna have to agree with orionfusion here. I’m coming in for the Fortnite F2P release and this is pretty upsetting, as I know I’m screwing over my roommate right now. I can’t do anything at the moment and neither can he. I live on my computer, and it’d be nice to cap it so I can do something else.

Hopefully with the popularity of Fortnite coming in from PUBG, your team can realize the importance of this and allocate the necessary resources to implementing this feature in the client.