Hatashiai - Samurai Sword Fighting (Kenjutsu)

Latest Demo Video

For details please see descriptions below (Update on 2015.4.26).

Greetings
We are an indie game team of two people, and here we would like to share with you the game project we’ve been working on.

Introduction
“Hatashiai” is all about Samurai Kenjutsu combat. It is a 3D FTG game with a novel melee weapon combat system. Our plan is to make it the most serious sword fighting game ever, using Unreal Engine 4.

Features
Literally, the word “Kenjutsu” means the method or technique of sword. But in fact, Kenjutsu is a complicated melee weapon combat system, including the effective guards, flexible footwork and efficient coordination of the whole body. To best capture the essence of Kenjutsu, the following features will be included in our game:

• Cultural & Historical Accuracy
    We are making 8 real existing Ryuha (type/shcool of Kenjutsu) in this game. While the fighting styles of these Ryuha can be utterly different, all their skills and moves will be the actual techniques developed and used by the ancient Samurai.

• One-hit kill Fighting System
    This game does not contain a life bar or health point. Similar to the Bushido Blade series, with a single hit one can disable or even kill his opponent. On the other hand, precise physics based contact detection of the weapon and the variety of balanced fighting skills (each Ryuha contains at least 8 basic guards, and instead of using pre-defined combos, the player can have multiple free choices of skill connections) will significantly enhance the viability of the fighters, preventing Hatashiai from becoming a boring seckilling game.

• ??? (to be updated later)

Below is our first tech demo of “Hatashiai”, presenting some basic tests of the character’s kamae (guard) and movements, as well as the apex clothing performance. Root motion is applied to each animation.

We hope you enjoy it, and next time we will update some details about the fighting system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Update on 2015.4.5 --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings!

We’re back to give an update here. This time I’d like to present a demo to explain how we design and implement the system to organize all kinds of kenjuts skills.

The most fundamental state in our system is Kamae. Kamae is the basic stance or guard designed to launch efficient attack or provide effective defense. In Hatashiai, character from each Ryuha has multiple types of Kamae, each for specific use. For example, temporarily we have 10 types of Kamae for Shinkage-Ryu(the one being demonstrated in the demo), but we may want to adjust the number in the future to fit in the capacity of normal video game controllers (e.g. PS4 or XBOX One controller).

From one Kamae the character can:
(1) perform movement
each Kamae has two types of movement (fast and slow) for each direction, to be used under different distances
(2) switch to any other Kamae
from one Kamae the character can freely switch to any other Kamae directly
(3) make attacks
each Kamae has at least four types of attacks (each with the choices of three kinds of footwork as forward, on site, and backward, forming three sub-types of one attack), covering different angles

When an attack ends, the character may:
(1) return immediately to Kamae (the Kamae launching this attack or the Kamae nearest to the ending pose)
(2) connect immediately with other attacks
(3) keep the ending pose as an intermediate state, from which you can move, switch to any Kamae or continue with multiple types of attacks (this intermediate state nearly equals to a Kamae)
Following this scheme, although we don’t define specific combo for the character, you can still perform continuous attacks, even endlessly if without a disturbance.

It should be noted that we don’t have a so called “defense pose”, instead we introduce contact detection for all Kamae and attacks. This means you won’t be able to press one button and block most of your opponent’s attack anymore. To protect yourself, you will need to make proper moves according to your opponent’s attack. The outcome of a sword contact is automatically computed based on an mathematical model, taking into account both the physical status (velocity, pose, contacting position…) of the swords and the reference parameter including the ability and current mental status (we will introduce this in future updates) of the character.

All in all, the sword combat in Hatashiai is a dynamic process. Players must make right decisions to perform right moves at right moments to earn triumph.

That’s all for today’s update. Please note that the 3D models and animations are still in the very pre-alpha level and will definitely be refined as the project moves forward. In future updates we would like to present a development introduction to further explain our concept, and a real combat demo to help you better capture the tone of the game. Thanks for watching. Until next time~~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Update on 2015.4.26 --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, we are updating again with our first real combat demo (the video on top), testing the fundamental system as described in former update.

This demo presents a sword combat between swordsmen from two different Ryuha (school of Kenjutsu), Shinkage-Ryu and Jigen-Ryu. Currently we are running the game in a local multiplayer manner, letting players to share a same screen (camera) and control each of the swordsman with an XBOX controller, respectively. Everything runs smoothly in 60 fps on my computer, however you may be able to see some lags in the video due to the influence of the screen recording software (Highly recommend you watch this in 1080p).

Note that the project is still in a pre-alpha status, so please be tolerant of the mesh models, the level design, as well as the animations. All those things will definitely be polished in future development.

Finally, any comment, advice or question is welcome! Hope you find it of interest~~

Yes Please! Bushido Blade 1 and 2 were awesome games which have found worthy successors surprisingly lacking. What you have so far looks great, can’t wait to see what it becomes.

Thanks for your reply, buddy.

The motivation of making this game lies in that we are big fans of the Bushido Blade series like you. I know a lot of people who share the same interests, so I’ve decided to make a more technically improved sword fighting game of similar one-hit kill concept. We will try our best to make Hatashiai the very game we’ve been dreaming of, and we hope all FTG gamers will enjoy it. More updates are coming within a week, so be my guest and do check back this thread again~~

The idea looks amazing, I’m really interested to see how it will be implemented and how the playability will be - waiting a combat demonstration :smiley:

Hi , thanks for your comment. I can really understand your concern on the playability. By introducing real existing fighting skills into the game, I’ve alwalys been beliving that our biggist challenge is to keep the balance between realness and fun. I will keep updating this thread with demos of character controling system and a real fight between two characters of different Ryuha. Please follow us, and any advice is welcome:D

Very cool, i like your poses and the animated clothing, and i love realism in games. Keep it coming!

My goodness…I’m developing something very very similar. I’m Incredibly interested to see how the devs create the physical interaction between swords (I assume using IK). As an animator with a strong strong love for swordplay, I cannot wait to see more of this project. I have a love for European long-swords, but other styles are quite interesting as well. Ive been working on a concept idea focused on realistic but fun swordplay, as I have felt it has never been done correctly in a game format before.

What a great idea! Your blend spaces and animations look clean so far. Keep up the good work!

Hi, guys. We have an update on #1 with a new demo, please hop in and take a look.

astonishing…technique is amazing… I look forward to more…

Thank you very much. Since implementing real existing martial art skills is our main goal for this project, we are really pleased to hear that you like our poses.

Thanks for your comment. We are trying to make all the character’s motions smooth and clean, while I think a lot of refinement work still needs to be done. By the way, I am really thankful that Epic enables animation sequence to support root motion. Before UE 4.6 I’ve had to implement everything purely through animation montage and it was really hard labour ^_^. Glad to see the engine getting better and better~~

astonishing…technique is amazing… I look forward to more…
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comment. Since we are just two learning-by-doing amateurs working part-timely on this project, your encoragement means a lot to us~~

BTW, I have seen your game, Alice in Tokyo Wonderland, with outstanding art design and very technical implemetation. Looking forward to its release!

Please Please please! I have been complaining for years why hasn’t someone remade or something similar to Bushido Blade 1/2… or even a proper melee weapon based fighting game in general. Deadliest Warrior was close…ish. Keep it up and I look forward to seeing more developments!

Have see both YT from you, i like your swordposes and the animated clothing.

As little trick make some Bodyparts in black color (or in the color of the cloth), or hide the “shine through bodyparts” with Alpha textures.

Looking forward for a awesome sword fighting game like yours!
(atm i like to play “Moonlight Blade”, a Material Arts(action combat) MMO - CBT from China)

bR

This looks like a pretty sweet project. Add in VR support at the minimum :slight_smile: If you could, also add in support for the HTC Vive / PrioVR motion capture suit :smiley:

My priovr suit should be arriving when they finally ship the first batch to the backers, so if you need any mocap let me know… as I plan on doing some school-agnostic movements / attacks and iado for a game that I am working on.

Please Please please! I have been complaining for years why hasn’t someone remade or something similar to Bushido Blade 1/2… or even a proper melee weapon based fighting game in general. Deadliest Warrior was close…ish. Keep it up and I look forward to seeing more developments!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for being interested. We are also big fans of Bushido Blade 1/2, and we have definitely got some inspirations from that series. Since making a melee weapon fighting game with proper system and playability is no easy task, we will make this game carefully and we’ve got mentally prepared to adjust everything over and over again until it is perfect. Another big update is coming by the end of April, so please keep an eye on it~~

Have see both YT from you, i like your swordposes and the animated clothing.

As little trick make some Bodyparts in black color (or in the color of the cloth), or hide the “shine through bodyparts” with Alpha textures.

Looking forward for a awesome sword fighting game like yours!
(atm i like to play “Moonlight Blade”, a Material Arts(action combat) MMO - CBT from China)

bR
[/QUOTE]

Hi, . Thanks for the advice, totally agree with your idea.

At this moment our main focus is to verify the core concept and system, so the 3D meshes and the skeletons are still at a very temporary state without any optimization, causing some artifacts as you saw in the demo. In future production we will get rid of those artifacts by adjusting the rigging, the apex cloth parameters and the ragdoll, and of course, introduce some smart tricks as you suggested.

By the way, we also like the Moonlight Blade and we have joined the closed beta test. I think its combat system is more like a traditional ACT game rather than FTG game, but I enjoyed it a lot (especially like the art design). Another round of beta test is comming this May and I am really looking forward to playing it again~~

Thanks again for your comment and hope you will enjoy our upcoming update.

[QUOTE=
This looks like a pretty sweet project. Add in VR support at the minimum :slight_smile: If you could, also add in support for the HTC Vive / PrioVR motion capture suit :smiley:

My priovr suit should be arriving when they finally ship the first batch to the backers, so if you need any mocap let me know… as I plan on doing some school-agnostic movements / attacks and iado for a game that I am working on.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your kind comment, SaviorNT. Temporarily we are using the Vicon Motion Capture System for animations, but as you may know it is quite inconvenient if you need to add or recap motions very often. Recently we are looking for certain portable motion capture suit with which we can easily capture motions under resonable accuracy outside a specific studio (even at home). We will appreciate it if you would provide a review of the priovr suit you mentioned when you get it~~

Hi there, another update has come. Please check on #1. Cheers~~