User Tag List

View Poll Results: So, are you interested in project like this?

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep

311 94.53%
  • Nay

18 5.47%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Free demo] SuperGrid - Fast Level Prototyping

Luminary

Smile [Free demo] SuperGrid - Fast Level Prototyping

Welcome to SuperGrid!

Download Demo

Latest version changelog

Content
    • New SuperGrid Master BP - allows to change materials of all SuperGrid meshes on the level simultaneously
    • New SuperGrid Group BP - allows to assign single material to group of SuperGrid meshes and manipulate them
    • New Stairs BP- basic dynamic stairs implementation tht utilizes SuperGrid material features [Extended in next update]
    • New SuperGrid Wall BP - create SuperGrid walls by drawing spline
    • New Material: Painted Panels
    • New Material: Holographic Refractions
    • New Material: Metal Hexagons
    • New Changelog UI BP in Lobby - Stay on grid!
    • New Mesh & Texture: Ramp - create walkable slopes

Bugfixes & updates
    • Improved and refactored Character blueprint
    • Platform BP has been updated with new functionality
    • Smooth crouch animation for Character blueprint [Press CTRL to enjoy!]
    • Chamber 1.0.2 has been finished
    • Chamber 1.1 has been added
    • Lobby has been improved with new icons, portals and UI
    • Fixed Broken LUTs
    • Fixed incorrect UV scaling on Stairs mesh
    • Fixed various errors in logs[Deprecated nodes, Lighting issues and etc]
    • Fixed a collision issue with Stairs and Plane meshes
    • Various Bugfixes

SuperGrid is a pack of special materials and modular meshes designed to make level prototyping workflow faster, easier and more fun!

If you are a fan of dynamic and straightforward level creation process then you will feel right at home — you can move, rotate and scale meshes without fear of texture stretching or distortions

Materials are easy to customize without overwhelming amount of settings, yet powerful enough to provide wide variety materials!

If you want to dig deeper - base materials are well documented and includes custom nodes for visual simplicity and coherent workflow.

Starter pack includes fully featured level/mini-game, that will guide you through SuperGrid assets and common usage scenarios.

Coming soon!

Additional information

• No texture stretching during scaling
    • Material alignment is object based, so texture does not get "scrolling" effect during movement and rotation like tri-planar materials usually do
    • Meshes for prototyping(The number of meshes is still WiP)
    • Variety of materials(The number of materials is still WiP)
    • Pivot points placement in favor of prototyping convenience
    • Bonus assets, such as blueprints, sound effects, particle effects, volumetric materials and animated materials that were used for tutorial map.
    • Specify grid size in centimeters(units)
    • Each mesh has proper collision that works good with scaling.
    • Each texture file contains 3 different masks + roughness that later combined together and could be manipulated separately.

Old video to demonstrate basic process, fully-fledged trailer is coming soon!

Future releases and updates

Starter pack is the first product of SuperGrid and focused mostly on basic modular meshes and neutral-themed materials.
    Eventually new packs will come up and they will have specific theme(For example: Architecture, Sci-Fi, Llamas, etc) or will be focused on new advanced features(For example: vertex animated mesh and chamfered box that scales correctly without deformations)
    However, already released packs won't be forgotten and each pack will be updated with new core features, core modular meshes, bug fixes and etc.

Pricing policy

I decide to release small(But big enough so you won't feel cheated ) and medium-sized packs with strong llamas theme in 10$-25$ pricing range rather than large bulky packs with price that gravitate towards 100$
    Also this method allows to release new content and push updates more often!

If you have any questions, requests or feedback - feel free to post them right away!
    Last edited by zeOrb; 12-17-2016 at 05:57 AM. Reason: New version

To Rephrase:
    I do think this is a rather simple setup, but especially for beginners and people who like fast, clean workflow when mapping out a leveldesign this can be very valueble.
    I got to ask though: whats the difference between this and the content found here: http://www.tomlooman.com/category/samples-downloads/ ?
    Last edited by Luos; 03-16-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by Luos View Post
    so.. uhm..
    Lets call this what it is, just a few meshes with some math applied to the uv to make it tile depending on its X, Y and Z axis.
    but you are kind of making it sound more intriguing than it in reality is.
    I've said specifically what it is in my post
    Basically it is a pack of materials and modular meshes with special UV layout that combined gives you great level prototyping potential!
    Whats the difference between this and the content found here: http://www.tomlooman.com/category/samples-downloads/ ?
    Again, I mentioned it in my post. World aligned materials like this get distortions with rotation + scrolling effect, mine - does not

Also, I don't provide raw material functions, I provide also meshes, textures with roughness, masks, normals and etc. I thought I made it obvious with screenshots

Aww * ,* This is awesome!

Looks great! Just another feature that should be built into UE4!

Quote Originally Posted by Personality View Post
    Looks great! Just another feature that should be built into UE4!
    My thoughts exactly.
    UE4 is great for big well-thought projects with a team of level designers and artists, but it doesn't offer this kind of tools for building quick assets on the fly. Resizing an asset means resizing its texture, that's really a hassle.

Supporter
    Its something similar to this?

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by Sllow View Post
    Its something similar to this?
    Hey Sllow!
    Well, Greyboxing kit is more about blueprints and assets for newbies to place working stuff like buttons and doors, rather than materials. Greyboxing material aligned to the world coordinates, so it always get distortions on curvy surfaces. Also texture will scroll through your object like a projection and won't rotate properly.
    Here Screenshot from Greyboxing kit(Not to bash, but for easy comparison. It is a good product, but it's not material oriented as you can see)

Thanks for your interest!
    Last edited by zeOrb; 03-17-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Supporter
    Thanks for clarification. Two more questions then: ETA for a release? Pricing?

Great presentation! I can see using this over BSP. The only thing I can imagine adding would be some procedural meshes... stuff like a partial slice of a sphere/cylinder in degrees, how many vertices to use in curved pieces, etc. Honestly not sure how useful that would be though, as those pieces wouldn't align as well with the other static pieces that are designed to fit together. Just a thought!

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by Sllow View Post
    Thanks for clarification. Two more questions then: ETA for a release? Pricing?
    All assets are ready to go, but now I want to finish/polish learning materials, sample level and trailer. I think may take 1-2 weeks max. Closer to this date I will send project to Trello board and then Vote & Pray

I'm inclined to set price tag in 10$-15$ range and release packs with new content somewhat-regularly. I want to experiment with different themes(new textures and materials) and features(Vertex animated content and meshes which scaled only partially) For example box with soft chamfered corners which keep their proportions during scaling! WiP video to illustrate what I'm talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by sinoth View Post
    Great presentation! I can see using this over BSP. The only thing I can imagine adding would be some procedural meshes... stuff like a partial slice of a sphere/cylinder in degrees, how many vertices to use in curved pieces, etc. Honestly not sure how useful that would be though, as those pieces wouldn't align as well with the other static pieces that are designed to fit together. Just a thought!
    Thanks Sinoth!
    Yeah, I totally get what you're talking about! I've been thinking about same stuff, these "slices" are essential for designing objects and I'm trying to provide enough of them! As always, simple example

Sometimes slices won't align perfectly to other grids, but I think it's a good trade-off, new "seams" will be hidden most of the time, but you will get more "brushes" to play with

Feel free to make requests while I have some time to integrate new objects!
    Last edited by zeOrb; 03-17-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: updated quote

Quote Originally Posted by zeOrb View Post

That is amazing good work!

Infiltrator
    Looks amazing! Definitely getting this once it's on the market.

Luminary

The material looks like standard triplanar mapping?

Definitely great! The price is pretty reasonable and I enjoyed the results of the videos!

Keep working on that, it's amazing!

This is some of the coolest stuff I've seen in awhile. Keep it up! Can't wait to see more!

Excellent work! This is on my must have list

Looks great, and $10-15 is a perfect price point for this sort of thing.

As an artist who tries to design levels, having these sorts of resources really help me focus my ideas first and then go in and art later. Can't wait to use it!

Awesome work

Is it planned a texture with 1cm square for precision prototyping ?

If this is the case, I buy it now !

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    The material looks like standard triplanar mapping?
    I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by "standard triplanar mapping", if you mean something like this, then no. I've mentioned difference between this and my setup multiple times with gifs. I use triplanar in this particular video, but only because point of this was to showcase unaffected by scale features of the mesh, so I did not care much about everything else and used simple mat

Quote Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
    Excellent work! This is on my must have list
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseCommander View Post
    Looks great, and $10-15 is a perfect price point for this sort of thing.

As an artist who tries to design levels, having these sorts of resources really help me focus my ideas first and then go in and art later. Can't wait to use it!
    Thanks guys, I hope you will like it when I ship it!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroi93 View Post
    Awesome work

Is it planned a texture with 1cm square for precision prototyping ?

If this is the case, I buy it now !
    Hey Kuroi93, thanks for your interest!
    In material settings you can set grid spacing in centimeters, as well as pattern size(Checkers in this particular case). Check out this video(Watch in 1080p, it's hard to see 1cm lines with blur effect )
    By default grid spacing is 10cm and pattern is 1m.

Luminary

This is triplanar mapping:
    http://www.martinpalko.com/triplanar-mapping/

Which gives you results like this:

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    This is triplanar mapping:
    http://www.martinpalko.com/triplanar-mapping/

Which gives you results like this
    Exactly.
    Triplanar mapping using world space UVs for textures, my material use mesh UVs for textures.
    You can see dynamic distortion during rotation and scrolling effect during translation in triplanar

Unreal Engine Developer
    I am ready to purchase this.
    Tim Elek - Sr. VFX Artist Epic Games

Looks great! Is there a good resource for Tri/Biplanar mapping in the UE4 material editor?

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by [DEV]homeRye View Post
    I am ready to purchase this.
    Woosh, Epic post! Encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeustiak View Post
    Looks great! Is there a good resource for Tri/Biplanar mapping in the UE4 material editor?
    Oh hai! Thanks!

Check out Electricsauce thread

Looks cool. I'd buy it.

Looks pretty handy. If the price is right I'll definitely look at picking it up. The easier it is to block out things the better.

I already have the grey box kit, has been extremely useful on testing how well game play flows in the level without starting 3d production, this one looks way more advanced hope to get my hands on it soon.

To Rephrase:
    I do think this is a rather simple setup, but especially for beginners and people who like fast, clean workflow when mapping out a leveldesign this can be very valueble.
    I got to ask though: whats the difference between this and the content found here: http://www.tomlooman.com/category/samples-downloads/ ?
    I too make use of both of Tom Looman's blockout materials + a combination of some in-house materials for our early stages of pre-viz level layouts but I would be more than happy to support this product and at $10-$15 it is a steal

I would also like to suggest for inclusion in this pack or a future pack the ability to have scale silhouette references for generic objects like characters, cars, buildings, trees, etc. which can easily be edited + added to by the end-user/developer.

A basic example of this is from the Source/CS:GO SDK:

This would be extremely useful to get an idea of scale on multiple levels/scopes e.g. making a large city and seeing how high a car, player, tree, fence, etc. would be off street level before even needing to go in and place either placeholder or final 3D meshes of those assets to gather height references.

The way I would probably do this is to create a Master Layered Material with hidden masks of all the silhouette objects you wish to include and depending on the scale of the BSP brush you would upscale or downscale + swap out your silhouette masks and in doing so you could make the texture grid wider on the material. You could also layer characters, cars & trees perhaps together e.g. offset the tree to the corner of the mask, while the character is in the centre & tile horizontally.

NOTE: You would in most cases not want to have the masks tile for things like trees, fences, etc. like it dues with that basic player height reference the Hammer/Source/CS:GO SDK have as a placeholder/blockout texture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
    Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Is this out yet? Is it on trello so I can vote? Really want this, the most important stage of game dev, these tools are perfect for my workflow! Good job man I would defo buy this!

I need this in my life!
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Champion

What is the differences about this and my package ? Only the automatic texture scaling ?
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?55984-Purpleprint-Kit-for-Unreal-Engine-4-amp-Urho3D&highlight=purpleprintkit

Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by X.E.R.T. View Post
    I already have the grey box kit, has been extremely useful on testing how well game play flows in the level without starting 3d production, this one looks way more advanced hope to get my hands on it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneeder View Post
    Looks pretty handy. If the price is right I'll definitely look at picking it up. The easier it is to block out things the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombapup View Post
    Looks cool. I'd buy it.
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.smith View Post
    I too make use of both of Tom Looman's blockout materials + a combination of some in-house materials for our early stages of pre-viz level layouts but I would be more than happy to support this product and at $10-$15 it is a steal

I would also like to suggest for inclusion in this pack or a future pack the ability to have scale silhouette references for generic objects like characters, cars, buildings, trees, etc. which can easily be edited + added to by the end-user/developer.

A basic example of this is from the Source/CS:GO SDK:

This would be extremely useful to get an idea of scale on multiple levels/scopes e.g. making a large city and seeing how high a car, player, tree, fence, etc. would be off street level before even needing to go in and place either placeholder or final 3D meshes of those assets to gather height references.

The way I would probably do this is to create a Master Layered Material with hidden masks of all the silhouette objects you wish to include and depending on the scale of the BSP brush you would upscale or downscale + swap out your silhouette masks and in doing so you could make the texture grid wider on the material. You could also layer characters, cars & trees perhaps together e.g. offset the tree to the corner of the mask, while the character is in the centre & tile horizontally.

NOTE: You would in most cases not want to have the masks tile for things like trees, fences, etc. like it dues with that basic player height reference the Hammer/Source/CS:GO SDK have as a placeholder/blockout texture.
    Hm, I've never thought about it, but sounds really useful. Probably I could use shared sampler for one big texture that contains different 256x256 pictures(tree, people, cars, kittens etc) and some sort of flipbook. So end user can "scroll" through images and choose what he need. Cheap and good! I doubt I implement this in first release, but I definitely want to tackle this in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by ScrotieFlapWack View Post
    Is this out yet? Is it on trello so I can vote? Really want this, the most important stage of game dev, these tools are perfect for my workflow! Good job man I would defo buy this!
    Thanks! Noy yet, ~1 week away from trello, stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by KitatusStudios View Post
    I need this in my life!
    Oh, thanks Kitatus! I'm glad you found this useful :3

Quote Originally Posted by Hevedy View Post
    What is the differences about this and my package ? Only the automatic texture scaling ?
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?55984-Purpleprint-Kit-for-Unreal-Engine-4-amp-Urho3D&highlight=purpleprintkit
    [pictures]
    Well, there are many differences and I mentioned a lot of them in the first post. You don't have stairs

Champion

zeOrb is possible to view a tutorial or something about the auto-uv material (Only the auto-uv)?
    About how manage the axis and the normals because i'm going crazy.

Mythic
    I am definitely getting it when its ready and on marketplace.

I also think that epic should buy this stuff for unreal tournament and add to default release.
    This way we could get rid of famous hall of mirror or other funny csg features.

Now thinking of it if somebody bought it, and added to ut project. That could be quite confusing situation.

Luminary

Little update

I'm thinking about making tutorial level into standalone executable mini-introductional-game to add ability to check materials, meshes, pivot points and etc before purchase if you wish so!
    Sneak peek:

I plan to expand mesh sets, materials and features so it's some sort of foundation for future content as well.

Champion

Stairs, everywhere for free xD

This is awesome. Building and iterating on levels as fast as possible is a really good idea to improve quality of the final game.

Not sure what all your planned meshes are but I think I have not seen slanted cubes yet which would allow to build slanted pillars/walls without pieces intersecting with others. Like non-curved pieces for your "SuperGrid_RingPiece" and "SuperGrid_RingQuarter" to allow for transitions between perfectly vertical pillars to an angled ones. 45°, 33.75°, 22.5° and 12.25° would probably be good choices.

Looking forward to your final product.

Luminary

Quote Originally Posted by Hevedy View Post

Stairs, everywhere for free xD
    At some point we could start a STAiRs WARS!

Quote Originally Posted by dgrieshofer View Post
    This is awesome. Building and iterating on levels as fast as possible is a really good idea to improve quality of the final game.

Not sure what all your planned meshes are but I think I have not seen slanted cubes yet which would allow to build slanted pillars/walls without pieces intersecting with others. Like non-curved pieces for your "SuperGrid_RingPiece" and "SuperGrid_RingQuarter" to allow for transitions between perfectly vertical pillars to an angled ones. 45°, 33.75°, 22.5° and 12.25° would probably be good choices.

Looking forward to your final product.
    Hello dgrieshofer! Thanks!
    Oh, it totally slipped my mind!
    I've added some variation: 45°, 35°, 22.5° and 11.25°
    I've changed your values, because some of them won't align properly with grid, I hope it's not critical! But if it is - tell me and I will try to add additional models

Quote Originally Posted by zeOrb View Post
    Hello dgrieshofer! Thanks!
    Oh, it totally slipped my mind!
    I've added some variation: 45°, 35°, 22.5° and 11.25°
    I've changed your values, because some of them won't align properly with grid, I hope it's not critical! But if it is - tell me and I will try to add additional models
    Well that was quick. Sounds good, aligning stuff on the grid is definitely essential.

Makes me wonder how well one could build simple architecture just with those basic simples. For door arches we would probably still need the edge pieces. Like take a cube and cut out one quarter of a cylinder.

Anyway keep up the good work.
    Last edited by dgrieshofer; 03-24-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast