User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FREE] UMG Menu System Prototype - Source Code

[FREE] UMG Menu System Prototype - Source Code

Prototype UMG Menu System [Free Source Code]

Hi, I've been working on a prototype menu system for my game using UMG. It basically consists of a main menu, an options menu, editable video settings, loading screen and an in-game menu. I have just released the source code for the same in GitHub. So if anyone's interested, they can check it out here:

https://github.com/Stormrage256/UMGMenuSystem

It's totally free and requires no attribution, so anyone interested can use it for free on both non-commercial as well as commercial projects. For more details, you can check out the blog post and the video demonstration:

http://unrealpossibilities.blogspot.in/2015/03/unreal-engine-devlog-15-basic-menu.html

The underlying foundation for this menu system is based on Zoombapup's youtube tutorials [Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGpXyJz5QVk]. So anyone interested in the worflow can checkout his tutorials. They're well explained and easy to understand.

Edit I: Details for v1.1 listed below:https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?63037-FREE-UMG-Menu-System-Prototype-Source-Code&p=274931&viewfull=1#post274931

Edit II: Details for v1.2 listed below: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?63037-FREE-UMG-Menu-System-Prototype-Source-Code&p=282496&viewfull=1#post282496

Edit III: Details for v1.3: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?63037-FREE-UMG-Menu-System-Prototype-Source-Code&p=315581&viewfull=1#post315581

Edit IV: Details for v1.4/1.4.1: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?63037-FREE-UMG-Menu-System-Prototype-Source-Code&p=340211&viewfull=1#post340211

Edit V: Details for v1.4.2: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?63037-FREE-UMG-Menu-System-Prototype-Source-Code&p=342666&viewfull=1#post342666

Edit VI: Details for v1.4.3: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?63037-FREE-UMG-Menu-System-Prototype-Source-Code&p=369022&viewfull=1#post369022
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 02-20-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Champion
    Nice work, will check it out.

+++ Nice work

Dude I was just about to drive into setting this up for my demo, you've saved me a lot of time. For that I am extremely grateful.

That'll be really useful - the menus are really broken in Culverin and being able to simply bypass them and replace them with some other system would be very, very nice.
    DO contact me with questions about Blueprint or other Unreal features! I don't bite! Or charge money! Just press that blue Skype button and fire away.

Project Culverin - Open Ended First Person Shooter

我用中文看得懂吗?咳咳....
    i mean ,that is helpful ,thanks a lot.

Hey,

I did a build of this and one issue is that the loading screen never appears and I cannot figure out why. In editor it is all working but no matter what I do for building it doesn't work :/

Note:
    building = packaging for windows.
    Last edited by RynerLuteTLD; 04-12-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Hi RynerLuteTLD, yes you're right. I noticed the same a few days back as well. It happens if you run in standalone game too. I've come up with a workaround which seems to work. I'll just do some more testing and update the Git source in a couple of days.

Thank for this, forked

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrage256 View Post
    Hi RynerLuteTLD, yes you're right. I noticed the same a few days back as well. It happens if you run in standalone game too. I've come up with a workaround which seems to work. I'll just do some more testing and update the Git source in a couple of days.
    Thanks man that will help me out a lot as I have been trying everything. I was able to kind of hack it into working by making a map like you did for the main menu and have it load that and then go to my level but I rather not have to do hacky things like that to make it work :/ I used yours as a reference when making my menu system for my game and it helped me out a lot and saved me a lot of time so I appreciate everything you did.

thank u very much

Samaritan
    This is Orgasmic!!!

Excellent! I was just in the process to start with menu stuff, then i spotted this topic here, copied the content part, changed some settings... AND IT works! You saved me a few days of work!

I'm so happy now, thanks man!

Luminary
    I have already made my system ... but I am keen to see how you did yours. Thanks for this. 8-} *tips hat*
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

btw, here is a Pause function for BP, works smooth - easy hack

Name:  pause.jpg
Views: 9356
Size:  516.8 KB

Glad you guys liked it.

Thanks unit23, I've been making some changes over the past few days to make it more streamlined. I'll add your game pause suggestion as well. Hopefully, there should be a new update in the Git source this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by RynerLuteTLD View Post
    Thanks man that will help me out a lot as I have been trying everything. I was able to kind of hack it into working by making a map like you did for the main menu and have it load that and then go to my level but I rather not have to do hacky things like that to make it work :/ I used yours as a reference when making my menu system for my game and it helped me out a lot and saved me a lot of time so I appreciate everything you did.
    Glad to hear that you found it helpful. I'm updating the Git source with the fix for loading screen bug in Standalone game. I'm guessing that it should work for packaged games as well, but I haven't tested that yet. So if you still find the bug, just let me know. Anyways here are the specific changes that you need to make to get the loading screens working:

Name:  GameInstanceInit.png
Views: 9317
Size:  244.3 KB

Name:  MainMenuActor.png
Views: 9343
Size:  476.2 KB

Awesome work Stormrage256. A great head-start for giving your project that 'its a game' feel. Should be included into the Templates in my opinion.
    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

Quote Originally Posted by TechLord View Post
    Awesome work Stormrage256. A great head-start for giving your project that 'its a game' feel. Should be included into the Templates in my opinion.
    Thanks TechLord. It's nice to see that people are finding this useful. I've started working on it again after quite some time. So hopefully there should be some new improvements coming up this weekend.

Does the game settings save to a config file or does it use the alternative by saving as a .sav file?

Quote Originally Posted by sbnewsom View Post
    Does the game settings save to a config file or does it use the alternative by saving as a .sav file?
    At the moment, it does not save to any file. It's only persistent across the running instance of the game. There is still a bug associated with it, but it'll be fixed in this weekend's release.

I have not tried saving since I haven't started implementing a save system in my game. But if you have any tips regarding how and where to save, I can try adding it for the menu system in one of the subsequent releases.

Whoa that's awesome. +1

This is awesome thanks for making this for free.

Thank you!

Update 1 for Prototype UMG Menu system released:

Listed below are the main changes:

1. Added support for manual default visual settings.
    2. Fixed a bug with scroll bar not collapsing when interacting with other buttons.
    3. Visual settings now shown as literal text instead of numerical values in the default version.
    4. Improved the code for maintaining persistent visual settings throughout the active instance of the game.
    5. Fixed the disappearing loading screen bug in standalone and packaged versions.

For more details and documentation of changes in the update, check out my blog post for the same:

Unreal Engine DevLog #16: Prototype UMG Menu Update I

I've listed all the changes there with detailed screenshots
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 04-21-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Update 2 for Prototype UMG Menu system released:

Changes in this update:

1. Fixed a bug that disabled removing pause menu through keyboard input.
    2. Code and design optimizations for Scrollbar buttons in the video settings.
    3. Supported resolutions now taken from the game instance class along with other default settings whenever needed. [Note: Using Rama's Victory plugin, you can get all supported resolutions and store it here if you don't want to use hard-coded default resolutions. I have tested it and it works smoothly]

For more details and documentation of changes in the update, check out my blog post for the same:

Unreal Engine DevLog #17: Prototype UMG Menu Update 2

Thanks for sharing this. Very high quality framework that is pretty similar to what we see in AAA game menus!

Thanks @Snow901, I will be adding more features into it in the coming weeks.

Update 3 for Prototype UMG Menu system:

Changes in this update:

1. General Optimizations for Pause Menu and Video Settings workflow
    2. Bug Fix for loading screen freeze
    3. Bug Fix for Video Options scrollbars populating duplicated child widgets

Documentation for changes in the update: Unreal Engine DevLog #18: Prototype UMG Menu Update 3

Source code available at: https://github.com/Stormrage256/UMGMenuSystem

Update 4/5 for Prototype UMG Menu system:

This is the final major update to the system. Changes include:

1. Now supports persistent video settings across multiple instances bu backing up the data through save files.
    2. Fixed a bug that prevented scroll bars from closing when moving to other menus.

Documentation of changes included as part of updates 4 and 5: http://unrealpossibilities.blogspot.in/2015/07/unreal-engine-devlog-20-prototype-umg.html

Source code available at: https://github.com/Stormrage256/UMGMenuSystem

Edit: Update 5 available on Github now. Fixed a bug that prevented certain features from working when adding to a new project.
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 02-20-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Thank you for sharing this Stormrage256 . Really nice work. I will try it!

Is it possible you may add a save system with this project? If you accept donations or commissions I would gladly leave it up to you to release it.

Trying to implement this into my own project, I put the ingameactor BP in my level and try to press P, but the in-game menu never comes up?

The game instance class is set in project settings.
    Last edited by Zatoi; 07-26-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Sorry to double post, but is the menu for the graphic options also working for anyone? It seems that clicking does not change my screen resolution and the like. I have migrated this project using 4.7.6

Quote Originally Posted by Zatoi View Post
    Is it possible you may add a save system with this project? If you accept donations or commissions I would gladly leave it up to you to release it.

Trying to implement this into my own project, I put the ingameactor BP in my level and try to press P, but the in-game menu never comes up?

The game instance class is set in project settings.
    By save system, are you referring to saving the graphics settings or saving game data during actual gameplay? If it's the first case, I have added a save system to restore the saved settings every time you load the project.

A small part of the pause menu logic is within the player controller blueprint. You call the pause menu widgets from here. Have you copied that code to your project?

Sorry to double post, but is the menu for the graphic options also working for anyone? It seems that clicking does not change my screen resolution and the like. I have migrated this project using 4.7.6
    Could you check if you're able to change the settings in the native project before adding it to your own?

Oh and btw the source is currently built in the 4.7.6 version. I have only tested it in 4.8.2 a couple of times, but it seems to be working for now. Once I integrate the latest updates into my own projects, I can give a better confirmation regarding it's compatibility with v4.8.2.
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 07-26-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks for the fast reply, sorry for the confusion, I meant a save system that would automatically save the last level you played so you could load that level the next time you pick up the game.

I got the pause menu working after copying and pasting the controller nodes into my own controller.

The video options work in your source file, but after migrating to my project the buttons don't seem to register after clicking. Trying to debug it but not successful so far.

Thanks for the fast reply, sorry for the confusion, I meant a save system that would automatically save the last level you played so you could load that level the next time you pick up the game.

I got the pause menu working after copying and pasting the controller nodes into my own controller.

The video options work in your source file, but after migrating to my project the buttons don't seem to register after clicking. Trying to debug it but not successful so far.
    Oh you mean like a continue option right? I'll check it out sometime this week and let you know if I can include it in an update soon.

Glad to hear that you got the pause menu working. As for the video options, I just found out that I haven't added the 'Main Menu Game Mode' in the latest update. This probably causes the settings buttons to not work when adding to another project. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll commit the changes to the git hub version in a few minutes. Basically what you need to do is to set a new game mode for the Main menu map [Main Menu Game mode in the upcoming update]. Then make sure that the HUD class for the same is the 'My HUD' blueprint. Do the same the in the project settings >> maps and modes as well. Here's a screenshot:

Name:  BugFix.png
Views: 7117
Size:  439.3 KB

Edit: New commit made to Git Hub. You can check it out for comparison. If the video options issue still persists after including this change, do let me know.
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 07-26-2015 at 02:13 PM.

That fixed it! Thanks a ton and please let me know if you ever get a donate button up, I would like to commission that save system

That fixed it! Thanks a ton and please let me know if you ever get a donate button up, I would like to commission that save system
    Cool! If you have any doubts regarding the workflow, feel free to check out my blog for the update descriptions. The documentation is not well detailed, but it contains brief descriptions and screenshots of changes made in each update. As for the save system, I'll do some R&D first. If it's not too hard, then it might be ready by next weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast