[VIDEO TUTORIAL] "Baked Lighting" and "Lightmaps" (Maya & Unreal Engine)

Description:
In this video, I discuss and identify the issues associated with using “baked lighting” and “lightmaps” within the Unreal Engine, and demonstrate how to go about resolving them. I’ve time-stamped the various segments, as the total run-time is 27 minutes and 34 seconds, and there may be segments that you don’t need (or want) to watch. There is a transcript available by request (if you’re hearing impaired or find my voice too irritating to tolerate). I’d recommend watching the 1080P stream (if possible), as this was the native resolution used whilst recording. If I’ve made any errors in my explanations, or you have some suggestions on how I can improve future videos, please let me know!

What’s covered:

• Introduction (0:00)
  • Definitions (0:45)
  • Light Types (1:15)
  • Lightmap Considerations (1:41)
  • Lightmap Issues/Examples (2:15)
  • Maya: Modeling & Setup (5:06)
  • Maya: UV Mapping (8:39)
  • Maya: Collision (21:36)
  • Maya: Exporting (22:12)
  • Unreal Engine: Importing (22:58)

This is a great little tutorial for people who don’t understand these concepts.

Also to save you a bit of time, unless it’s been changed in the 2015 version of Maya, you don’t have to change your pivot point by pressing Insert, you can just hold down the ‘D’ key which will switch the manipulator from object mode to pivot point mode for the duration that the ‘D’ key is held down. This is exactly the same for Vertex Snapping, and Grid Snapping, which can be activated by holding down the ‘V’ key, and ‘X’ key respectively. You can even do a combination of switching the manipulator and activating the Vertex Snap mode by holding down the ‘D’ and the ‘V’ key’s at the same time.

Thanks for letting me know, Kyle. I had a suspicion that there was a faster workflow, and I’m glad you’ve shared it with me. This will definitely save me time in the future. :slight_smile: