Volumetric cloud system overview

UPDATE #3
birds eye flythough.

?v=D7dssMTy-yI

UPDATE #2

v=1Y4jhVeiQKc

v=x_N1MpElRQY

is a quick vid showing a new setup on how to get volumetric clouds in Unreal from maya with fully dynamic lighting.

Awesome!!! Thank you for the tutorial ! Going to try it out right now :slight_smile:

Awesome! I’ll be giving a go!

Any idea at what the next video will be / still taking requests?

Yeah still taking requests. I’m going to be investigating technique and and seeing if I can somehow make it read multiple textures for animated explosions and fires.

I’ve been modifying system to make volumetric light shafs (for god rays and light through stained glass windows). Should have something to show in a couple of days.

I’m very interested in . Keep us updated :slight_smile:

Here’s an update! I’ve tweaked the shading and made some new cloud volume textures. I think it looks a bit better. Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

?v=1Y4jhVeiQKc

looks awesome! Also the fluid explosion test from your Youtube channel. Would love to hear a bit more about the implementation and performance.

Wow, nice work , really looks amazing.
Isn’t a similar technique to the explosion effect in the Infiltrator Demo? (Here they explain how they created that effect: ?v=Q_-LrvzhBhM)
Anyways do you plan on doing an in-depth tutorial on or is it for a private project of yours? I really would appreciate to know how you baked out and set everything up within UE4. :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Dakraid

I could be wrong but doesn’t look like it’s done the same way as the infiltrator explosion - looks more like proper volumetric (voxel based?) effect. Wondering about the memory consumption.

He explained in the second video in the first post. It is somewhat similar as it uses a subUV texture from a slice render of the fluid effect. The particle system then “interpolates” between those frames by offsetting each frame in 3D space and blending between them.

To OP, I would really like to know if can be used to make an actual explosion (or similar) like in Infiltrator, and how detailed it can be (for a short and small effect), and how you made the subUV texture (by hand or with a tool).

Ah I should have had sound turned on. Still looking forward to hear more.

Looks really cool! :slight_smile:

I’m working on explosions! A few technical things to work out. as long as I set up some resolution limitations then I think I can get something working soon. I’ve got things written down just need to spend some time implementing it. Time is an. I spend most of my day at work so I’m spending evenings (well into the night) doing . Would love for to be my job!

Also someone asked about memory cost. At the moment it’s just 1 4k map for a cloud. Performance is affected by overdraw. You can reduce the quality and get better performance. But I did stress test it last night and had dozens of them placed in a huge world type scenario. As long as you are not too close to them its not actually that bad.

Huh, why does it get worse when you get near the clouds?

Because there’s more overdraw. ie the whole screen is taken up by pixels that have a high instruction count.

Ahh! Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

Nice…Its for UE4 Marketplace sales item or you will give a free download ? Thanks

Honestly haven’t thought too much about it yet. If there’s enough demand then I’d probably submit it. Still working on them too.

Another update…

thought I’d see how many I can squeeze in map and get a sense for how they could be used in context. pushing quite a few here.

?v=D7dssMTy-yI