Infinite room

Read carefully.

I want to create an infinite room where if the player falls down a hole, he lands back to the same room.

All I could think of is either trigger teleporting the player, or duplicating the room forever. Either way the transition should be unnoticeable.

The latter I don’t think will work, because the room still has to align with the rest of the level.
The former works, but the teleportation is noticeable because the destination is preset no matter how far from the middle the player falls.

It’s like the teleporter should be able to adjust the destination according to where the trigger is touched. If that’s not possible, I need another solution.

can’t you just use the trigger to teleport the player X amount of units up instead of teleporting to a predefined location?

When the player enters the trigger > Matinee (Fade) > When black, Matinee (Event) Set Actor Location > Matinee (Unfade)

Edit: Made a template for you, Just uploading now.

LINKS and stuff! Made JUST FOR YOU!

Video:

Link to download: CLICK ME!

If you’ve got any questions, Don’t be a stranger! Either let me know in this thread, Send me a PM or shoot me an email: [EMAIL=“contact@kitatusstudios.co.uk”]contact@kitatusstudios.co.uk

KitatusStudios,

I really don’t know how to thank you, but mainly because what you have worked here is something I had in mind as a temporary solution.
However, I’m really thankful for having a backup solution ready now, and your generosity and willingness is remarkable. I couldn’t have had a better welcome to the forums.

The reason why this is plan B is because the transition is noticeable - you can tell when the magic happens, but I’m trying to create an illusion, a paradox; one where the player sees they’re coming to another room, but it’s actually the same one.

Here’s a great example made in Minecraft using “smooth teleporting.”

Some sort of “smooth player teleporting” is exactly what I’m thinking of as the only way. Multiple identical rooms could also be used, but again, it has to align with the rest of the level. So if this “smooth teleporting” really is the only way in these conditions, I need to know if and how it’s possible.

Just make the holes in the floor / ceiling bigger or reduce the matinee fading to much quicker. That way they are only in darkness for a second or so. The only other solution I can think of is duplicating the room with Level Streaming and move it dynamically.

Wait, I think having a door between the paradox and the rest of the level could work this out. I haven’t thought it further, but why didn’t I think of this before?

Yeah, that’s a good idea. That’s how Silent Hills (P.T) did it. You’d basically just want to use the Level Streaming and create a level then duplicate it. Then when the player is opening the door, Move everything into Level B into place and make it visible.

Hi,

Isn’t it too complicated solution? How about have 3 exactly identical rooms and teleporting (changing Y) when you cross a volume? You can end both fake doors with some texture representing the view from hole. Diagram attached.
f7e226d0ff9d5710921b2eb16df870b0351fe08c.jpeg

Right, I’m going to try and make another project for you. This one should be 10% cooler and sort out your space issue.

Give me a little while as it’ll take a while to upload.

I actually created a teleport like this previously because I wanted to look if I can recreate some mechanics from one of my favorite games: Antichamber.
He is using this mechanic quite a lot in that game.

Let me see if I find that project somewhere.

Ooo It’s a race :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s see if I can make this project, Zip it and send it BEFORE Erasio finds his project :wink:

Mod Wars 2K15.

Edit: I’ve almost done but I’ll come back to it in a little bit as I’ve got work to do!

Alright I’ve had to recreate it. Sad that but since I already know how to do it, it was fairly fast.

Though there’s a bit of visual glitching if you see a longer hallway… not quite sure where that comes from… it wasn’t there last time.

Here’s the video about it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0bXE5PkKnYU

And here’s the download:

Sorry I couldn’t upload a whole project but that’s 300 MB and with merely 100 kbps that takes forever. Just take that content folder and drag it onto a new first person template (create a new one, close the engine, copy, open again). 30 MB are just so much faster^^

That beats what I had in mind. What a wonderful paradox!

This reminds me of the movie hypercube. Watch the series for some insights.