Scaling from Blender 3D to Unreal Engine 4

I know that 1 Unreal Unit is 1cm, but in blender how would you make it to where in Blender 1 BU is 1cm. Because the workflow from Blender to UE4 isn’t super fast…I know about the scaling IN Blender but I don’t know what settings to use to get it to a 1:1 scaling between blender and ue4.

This might be the wrong forums section, but hopefully not.

Thanks to any who can help me.

Scale to 100 when you export and your good.

Also take a look here:
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Static_Mesh_from_Blender

I know to do that, but that is annoying and slows down the workflow a little bit, I know it isn’t much but it still slows it down. I was just looking for a solution to not have to do that. Just trying to optimize workflow a little bit.

Check out my addon for blender , maybe help you :wink:

Greetings!

I can help you with that, have you set the units in blender to metric?

Set it to Metric is 1.0 scale and when I export it with FBX then import it to UE4 with the FBX importer it gives me a message saying something along the lines of “The mesh small” or something like that.

@Lui, Yeah I saw the add on I’m going to have to try it out.

while using metric you can set the unit scale in blender to 0.01 and then you can export with scale set to 1(so you don’t have to scale up by 100) and your mesh will be the same size in UE4.

personally I just leave blenders units at there default settings and then use 1 unit in blender as 1CM, 1 default blender unit is the same size as 1 Unreal unit, I find that is the easiest and best way to ensure correct scale.

hope that helps:)

I just tested it, Blender scale = Metric using .01 scaling and it imports in UE fine. Thanks to the people who helped me.

Now time to work on trying to get server replication working right…this is so difficult not know BPs very well

glad it worked for you:)

<Edit> Worded it wrong </edit>

Any tips to where when I crouch client side server sees it and then the other clients do as well?

I am not a programmer(I’m a modeller mainly) so I don’t really know much about online movement replication, if you search for “replication” in the forum and documentation you should be able to find quite a lot of info on it.

you could always just start a new thread asking about it, I know there are people that have experience with it so I am sure they will be able to help.

Oh ok thanks for the input. Yeah I’m trying to get level assets together, I’m modelling them…and texturing them…then designing the level, then trying to program with blueprints to make a game…it’s tedious but fun trying to do everything. When I get a team it will be such a relief…

How to set scale to centimeters in Blender

-open blender
-go into the “scene” panel which is the one with the light, cube and cylinder in between the render and world panel.
-once in the scene panel, go to “units”
-select metric
-set scale to “.01”
-now put the cursor over the viewport and click the N button
-this will bring up a menu
-in that menu you will now see that the blender startup cube has scaled from the original 2 blender units, to 2 centimeters.
-you can now model whatever you like and it will be measured in cm.
-make sure to apply scale before you export.
-you can export with a scale of 1 since the model is already in cm
Hope this helps!

also a tip for making models precise i’ve learned is to make a plane with a specific dimension which you can then base your model off of.
also make sure your model is facing the right way. just check by viewing it from the front for example and see if the front of your model is in the front view.

1 Like

Yeah I got it to work properly now. Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to learn how to texture properly.

I was on the Counter-Strike Global Offensive reddit, and someone posted an image with the AWP with Unwrapped UVs in Photoshop. The way they said they did it was just went into Photoshop CS6 and put it in 3D mode and then into 2D mode or something like that. Is there an easy way to import a 3D object into PS CS6 then get the UVs from there? It seemed a lot simpler and a little more clean than unwrapping the UVs in Blender. I have to try it, but does anyone have any input on that?