User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [FREE] Various models

Samaritan

[FREE] Various models

Hey all

So, last year I was working on a game called Grindstone, which was a first person stealth action/survival type game set in an Office. Unfortunately the concept was a bit too grand / unusual which made recruitment a bit of a pain - so we've decided to work on a multiplayer survival horror game which we'll be recruiting for in a few weeks (any programmers with network experience...just putting that out there).

It seems a shame to waste some of the art content I made for Grindstone, since when we revisit the project I'd probably want to remake them anyway. None of these have LODs, and some of them are completely the wrong scale (just use the uniform scale on import to fix it) - but hey, maybe you'll find some use for them. Also the selection is random since we had lots of 'greybox' assets which I was slowly replacing in no particular order. Here's a preview of some of them:

Name:  FYx3gwq.jpg
Views: 68479
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  vtqMn8T.jpg
Views: 98704
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  Yj2YkWJ.jpg
Views: 67642
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  U0rMoKP.jpg
Views: 68157
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  48iA60Q.jpg
Views: 69145
Size:  72.1 KB
    These weapon models were all made for third person enemies, so they're missing the articulation (i.e. removable magazines and the like) for first person use. But the texture ones above have the source high/low poly models, so they could be a starting point for a first person model.

Name:  GwpYBhI.jpg
Views: 68222
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  TMVZBkK.jpg
Views: 69665
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  tFRhXtw.jpg
Views: 68128
Size:  79.4 KB
    I never finished the materials/normals for the vending machines, and obviously the logo for the one on the left was a stand-in and not included - you get the idea though

Name:  keNBmD2.jpg
Views: 67966
Size:  44.7 KB

The material for the main door looks more interesting in dynamic lighting conditions, honest. Also the locks are separate meshes with the same pivot point.

Name:  m6FqI0G.jpg
Views: 67963
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  TNJy5J3.jpg
Views: 68016
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  L928oFn.jpg
Views: 68069
Size:  58.1 KB

The files are FBX and 3x .jpg's (Albedo / Reflection / Normal). For the reflection map, R = Roughness, G = Metalness, B = Ambient Occlusion (i.e. Quixel dDo UE4 preset). I chose JPG because the TGA's were massive and really, with DXT compression, you're not going to notice the difference. Also most (if not all) were authored with the intention of being scaled down 50%, but I've exported them at 100% just in case you want to modify them in any way. I've also included (where I still have them) the 3DSMax source files with the high/low poly models - although these are probably quite messy. I have more of a "It works for me, so whatever" attitude.

If the normal maps give you any trouble, and I think some might because I exported them wrong like an idiot, just flip the green channel:
    Name:  6mLUyo2.png
Views: 66793
Size:  17.7 KB

These are released under the CC0 1.0 Universal license meaning you can use them however you want with no attribution. Although if you're using them in some kind of finished project it would be cool to let me know where!

GUMROAD LINK
    Last edited by DaveFace; 07-04-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Moved files to Gumroad instead of Dropbox

Although these assets don't fit in my project's time-period, these are very nice! I'm sure these will be very helpful to a lot of people!

Veteran
    You shouldn't utilize real world branding without permission. While many companies will overlook tiny, unpopular things others won't take kindly to including trade marks such as "Coca-Cola" without permission.

However the work is certainly good. The detail you put into the fax machines is impressive on a model most people would tend to leave far less detailed.

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaan View Post
    You shouldn't utilize real world branding without permission. While many companies will overlook tiny, unpopular things others won't take kindly to including trade marks such as "Coca-Cola" without permission.
    "obviously the logo for the one on the left was a stand-in and not included"

The Coca-Cola was just what I had imported into the engine for testing, all I've included is a placeholder texture for that.

Hey these look great, I can use them for prototyping at the very least, Thanks DaveFace!

You just helped us with a lot of our project! Thank you so much!

Some really nice models here, thanks for giving to the community

Small request: The Sledgehammer is a .max file and I don't own max, could someone export it as a .fbx? Much thanks!
    Last edited by PhoTek; 03-03-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoTek View Post

Small request: The Sledgehammer is a .max file and I don't own max, could someone export it as a .fbx? Much thanks!
    Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63590453/HammerTime.FBX

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoTek View Post

Whoops, must've missed that one. Updated for future reference

Luminary
    Thanks DaveFace ... this is most generous. 8-}

What is the license on these models?

Thank for sharing

I Just want to say you thanks for this assets, they look very good

Hey thanks for sharing! I think I can use these in a future project!

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by qdelpeche View Post
    What is the license on these models?
    Well I never decided on a fixed license since all the Creative Commons ones are attribution-based, which I figure just makes the assets awkward to use since it's another credit to remember. So they're free to use however you want, no attribution necessary.

DaveFace I've got to say, this is by far the nicest thing I've seen an artist do, you've got high quality models and you're giving them away for free to be used however, and wherever. Our team at Enraged Entertainment thanks you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaan View Post

However the work is certainly good. The detail you put into the fax machines is impressive on a model most people would tend to leave far less detailed.
    I think that's a valid concern for people planning to use that asset in a game, but for DaveFace releasing them? Not so much. Coca-Cola *might* ask him to cease and desist at the most, but I doubt even that much.

Anyone who plans to use it in a game would be well advised to change the texture to have a spoof name, though.

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by n00854180t View Post
    Anyone who plans to use it in a game would be well advised to change the texture to have a spoof name, though.
    Well if someone wanted to use that particular model, they'd have to create a completely new texture for the logo. Like I said, it only comes with this masterpiece:
    Name:  m39ccKM.png
Views: 65458
Size:  96.0 KB

Anyway, I've added an old high poly model I made of an M270 MLRS. Not sure what use it is since I made it when learning high poly modelling, and a lot of the edges are really, really sharp. Still, it might be something to learn from.

Name:  4ewIyXu.png
Views: 65830
Size:  429.7 KB
    Name:  o4btwhl.png
Views: 65878
Size:  789.9 KB

Sorry for the viewport screenshots, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wait for this to render.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveFace View Post
    Well if someone wanted to use that particular model, they'd have to create a completely new texture for the logo. Like I said, it only comes with this masterpiece:
    Ah yes, missed that under the screenshot in the original post. So no worries either way then

I really wish there was a thank option on this forum, but thank you for these.
    Amazing that you'd let them be completely free without any license whatesoever and I appreciate these!

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrluckechuck View Post
    I really wish there was a thank option on this forum, but thank you for these.
    Amazing that you'd let them be completely free without any license whatesoever and I appreciate these!

I don't know about thank you, but I know this forum software has a plugin to add a 'like' feature to posts. Minimal code could change that 'like' into a 'thanks'.

Well I never decided on a fixed license since all the Creative Commons ones are attribution-based, which I figure just makes the assets awkward to use since it's another credit to remember. So they're free to use however you want, no attribution necessary.
    First and foremost, thank you very much for your generosity. About the license, not all CC licenses require attribution. You can use CC0 (CC0 1.0 Universal, Public Domain Dedication, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) to place the work into public domain and make it available to all mankind without any limitations or requirements whatsoever.

Hey all

So, last year I was working on a game called Grindstone, which was a first person stealth action/survival type game set in an Office. Unfortunately the concept was a bit too grand / unusual which made recruitment a bit of a pain - so we've decided to work on a multiplayer survival horror game which we'll be recruiting for in a few weeks (any programmers with network experience...just putting that out there).

It seems a shame to waste some of the art content I made for Grindstone, since when we revisit the project I'd probably want to remake them anyway. None of these have LODs, and some of them are completely the wrong scale (just use the uniform scale on import to fix it) - but hey, maybe you'll find some use for them. Also the selection is random since we had lots of 'greybox' assets which I was slowly replacing in no particular order.
    DROPBOX LINK
    Hi DaveFace, I'm sorry to hear about Grindstone. I was keeping my eye on that one. Perhaps the assets can be re-purposed with a lil grudge into the survival horror as I still see potential with the idea of Survival set in an office , just add some Horror and multi-player elements. A few years back I wanted to dev a Fan-based game based on Stephen King's The Mist (survival horror in grocery store). With a change of setting and new monsters, I would like to revisit that idea some day.
    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

Promoter
    thanks for sharing all this, stuff like this truly helps the community and tho i don't have a true use for them im positive a lot of others do
    Self-Learning to program, Open to advice!

This is great, thanks for sharing.

Champion
    Thanks for sharing these, I'll add them to the community list of free resources.

Great models, I'm thinking with the radio, beretta, office & bathroom stuff DIE HARD NAKATOMI PLAZA REMAKE IN UE4!!! haha Thank you

Super cool. Thank you!

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix85 View Post
    Great models, I'm thinking with the radio, beretta, office & bathroom stuff DIE HARD NAKATOMI PLAZA REMAKE IN UE4!!! haha Thank you
    Well it's funny you should say that, because Grindstone was a kind of 'homage' to Die Hard, although the story-line themes were very different. The choice of Beretta was intentional, and the radio was modeled on the one seen in the film (which, by the way, is more attention to detail than a certain game took)

Quote Originally Posted by TechLord View Post
    Hi DaveFace, I'm sorry to hear about Grindstone. I was keeping my eye on that one. Perhaps the assets can be re-purposed with a lil grudge into the survival horror as I still see potential with the idea of Survival set in an office , just add some Horror and multi-player elements. A few years back I wanted to dev a Fan-based game based on Stephen King's The Mist (survival horror in grocery store). With a change of setting and new monsters, I would like to revisit that idea some day.
    Unfortunately making a complex single-player game like that had a lot of hurdles for a small team, which I didn't anticipate at the time. I'm sure we could have made it as a small, linear game but I don't think that did the concept justice - maybe when we revisit it, we'd work in some co-op functionality because linear singleplayer games seem to be falling out of favour lately, at least for indies. I could see The Mist working as a psychological horror game actually, if you had a really non-linear story with an interactive environment, and small trips outside the store in a group, the outcomes of which affect the story going forward. Although my only familiarity with the story is from the film - not sure if that's a good indication of the book.

thank youuuuuu

nice assets...will help lot of people..nice to share..give free something get free something back

Mythic

Oh wow these look great! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Wow man this is huge
    thank you for sharing!

Im sorry to hear about your game, but this is an amazing release thank you for this!

Unreal Engine Support
    These are really excellent assets. Very generous of you to gift this to the community. Your efforts are much appreciated!!

Unfortunately making a complex single-player game like that had a lot of hurdles for a small team, which I didn't anticipate at the time. I'm sure we could have made it as a small, linear game but I don't think that did the concept justice - maybe when we revisit it, we'd work in some co-op functionality because linear singleplayer games seem to be falling out of favour lately, at least for indies. I could see The Mist working as a psychological horror game actually, if you had a really non-linear story with an interactive environment, and small trips outside the store in a group, the outcomes of which affect the story going forward. Although my only familiarity with the story is from the film - not sure if that's a good indication of the book.
    The Mist as a psychological survival horror? That sounds really cool. I pretty much was shunned by the community for wanting to use the IP so I abandoned my effort. But, with a change of theme, and different monsters, I think core elements of a small group of players trapped in an area under attack by monsters, demons, aliens, or whatever, could still be fun. Co-op would be a must.

I'm not certain about the trend of single-player games falling out of favor for co-op, but, I personally prefer co-ops because you can design it with the same gameplay as single player game, and allow players to bring along a few friends to share the experience. I only buy Console games that Co-op. All of my games are designed as Co-Ops and include both local Co-op (Splitscreen) and remote Co-op support.

I'm actively looking for ways to utilize co-op in the game mechanics explicitly and implicitly. For example, in a stealth game, a second player, can act as remote viewer or scout in spectator mode, providing info for the first player to use to navigate more efficiently. How about controlling a single character with two or more players? IE: Giant Robot or a Protagonist who suffers Multiple Personality Disorders.
    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

Thank you so much for this! Really top notch work, so generous of you. Sorry to hear about the postponement of Grindstone, the screenshots are really awesome.

Looks great thanks for the share. Hope the horror game goes well.

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by TechLord View Post
    The Mist as a psychological survival horror? That sounds really cool. I pretty much was shunned by the community for wanting to use the IP so I abandoned my effort. But, with a change of theme, and different monsters, I think core elements of a small group of players trapped in an area under attack by monsters, demons, aliens, or whatever, could still be fun. Co-op would be a must.

I'm not certain about the trend of single-player games falling out of favor for co-op, but, I personally prefer co-ops because you can design it with the same gameplay as single player game, and allow players to bring along a few friends to share the experience. I only buy Console games that Co-op. All of my games are designed as Co-Ops and include both local Co-op (Splitscreen) and remote Co-op support.

I'm actively looking for ways to utilize co-op in the game mechanics explicitly and implicitly. For example, in a stealth game, a second player, can act as remote viewer or scout in spectator mode, providing info for the first player to use to navigate more efficiently. How about controlling a single character with two or more players? IE: Giant Robot or a Protagonist who suffers Multiple Personality Disorders.
    From the film I gathered the core of the story was of a 'The monsters are the people inside the building' type. For singleplayer I could picture it working as a heavily story-driven game like Mass Effect, where you have to get other people who are trapped to join your 'side', with occasional missions outside of the building to get supplies. But as a co-op game, I get the L4D influence - that would also work pretty well.

By 'falling out of favour', I meant that a lot (if not most) of the popular indie titles recently are either open world single-player or co-op, there's fewer 'true singleplayer' games reaching notoriety with the exception of horror games. But I prefer Co-Op as well, which is why we're putting emphasis on it for Acedia.

The stealth game mechanic you speak of (i.e. asymmetrical co-op) is actually being done by an old friend of mine. It's definitely a better stealth mechanic than, say, Payday 2 where 3 players end up waiting for 1 player to complete the 'stealth' component of the mission.

Promoter
    What a nice gift from a generous gentleman...
    Many thanks

Asymmetrical co-op. sounds fancy. Very cool. Well I'm curious as to what Acedia will be. I'll be checking for your recruit thread. I'm currently engrossed in my one-man band project, but, I often have strong urges to join a team.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast