This doesn't add up (versioning terminology)

I wish the versioning terminology was done in a way every other software does it. At this moment it seams bit like “cheating”.

What do I mean?
4.7, really? Surely you mean 4.007.

I believe that you doing this way because it does look better and keeps people subscribed. It is more likely that people will keep subscription if they see something as is presented as a major release then if that release was a minor one. When in fact it is a minor release each time.

Just my 11c.

How exactly is this cheating … there are like 40 different ways to version software. (Wiki Link)

Major - Minor - Build - Revision
Major - Minor - Maintenance - Build

So EPIC uses 4.6.1 – and now they have 4.7 … It is a new minor release on top of the 4 major release. Sorry but I think the version is correct the way it is, as far as I can see the changes and features are definitely worthy of a minor release and should continue like that. Most game engines and render engines work like this … Torque 3D … jMonkey Engine … Ogre … Panda … I am not sure what your point is.

If you like here: Unreal Engine Wiki … it appears as if Epic has always run its versions like this.

p.s. Yes I know Wiki is not the all powerful information resource and should be treated as such … I am just using it for reference.

It isn’t 4.7 anyway, it’s not an actual release version they are pretty clearly that it’s 4.7 preview 6 (or 4.7.0-2437476). So I don’t really see the problem, that seems like a strange complaint.

@
what will be next version after 4.9 then according to you?

According to versioning if the next version will be a minor then the next name should be 5, but I’m pretty certain that it will be called 4.10. That would be OK if the versioning went 4.01. But it went like that 4.1.

Anyway, just minor peeve.

Why would it be 5, even with what said? It’s not decimal, it’s a separator it will be 4.10, yeah

basically what he^ said, UE4.1 is four - one and UE4.10 is four - ten.

Well I don’t work for Epic but considering we went 4.5 … 4.6 … 4.6.1 … 4.7 … I am going to assume it will be 4.8 … 4.9 … 4.10 … 4.11 …

… you don’t need to restrict yourself to single digits for a version. But as I say … I don’t work for Epic, I am just going on a pattern here.

/me thinks this is the oddest thread he has ever encountered on these forums. shrug

I hardly think they numbers they use have any bearing on whether or not people stay subscribed. Surely it comes down to what each person can afford vs stability and new functionality.

Version strategy depending on developed strategy, UE is more rolling releseing so there no point of using other numbers because there would be problem distinguishing from major and minor updates.

For same reason Linux kernel change versioning from a.b.c.d to a.b.c because the stuck in 2.6, so they decided to change it to 3.x and use 2nd number for next updates. Also they plan to switch to 4.x randomly to not make 2nd number too big, there even sayings that they will make 4.0 a bugfix only relese :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s OK guys, didn’t try to riled up anyone, was just strangely curious.

There is no real reason for them to follow the normal version numbering system, if they prefer a more “solid” numbering system there is really nothing wrong with that. We shouldn’t be so dubious of business tactics that we outright fear every decision as a way to “get us.”

What you have to understand here is that Unreal Engine 4 is probably the only SaaS model I’ve ever seen that allows you to keep the last version you paid for if you stop subscribing. What they do use to keep us subscribing is a constant release strategy, which is part of the Agile Development approach (as opposed to a Waterfall methodology). This is not only good for Epic, but really good for us, because it keeps them working on the engine constantly, gets releases pushed out before the tech becomes obsolete, and allows them to quickly update the tech that does become obsolete. It not only keeps the engine on the cutting edge, but it also allows for better stability as it is easier and more efficient to have QA teams work to debug individual small releases, then to have them go through a massive release with even more bugs all at once. Now, this methodology can sometimes force releases too early and thus results in a less polished/debugged release, but what usually results is many well polished small releases with only a few that were a bit rushed, as opposed to a few massive releases which are often bugged, and then either a series of small patches or a very long wait for a new version that fixes those bugs. It’s worth noting that very few companies with shorter OR longer release cycles even do half as good as Epic.

Finally, consider that it is easier to tell someone “Hey we’re getting a pre-built water blueprint in 4.7!” then to say “Hey we’re getting a pre-built water blueprint in 4.007” or even “4.6.2”

@Tgirgis
Fair point. I do like those frequent releases.

I’m working on an OS that is version 10.10.2. Apple has been working on the 10 major release for over a decade. Blender did a ground up re-write and went from 2.48b to 2.50, and after more than a decade, are only at 2.73a. Microsoft went from Windows 3.1 to 95 to 98 to ME to XP to Vista to 7 to 8 to 10 (not to mention a few other evolutionary branches like NT and 2000). There are no hard and fast rules about version numbers. There is no “normal”. This is a really silly thing to be concerned about.

Well said, but for the record Microsoft is the worst example for titling anything… They almost called their Xbox the “FACE” (Full Action Center), and I guess windows 7 ate 9…

This is correct.

Do you what would be fun? If the releases have unofficial community codenames. It’d be a fun little thread where we get to vote on what the next release should be called and would be a good icebreaker for people who just watch the forums as opposed to posting!

Next release is now version 4.

Its better that they take their time instead of realesing unusable versions for each release but realeses a solid version when they realese the final update.

Unreal Engine 4.7 - " Growl" confirmed? :wink:

As mentioned above, we use semantic versioning (http://semver.org/), and so the release after 4.9 will be 4.10, not 5.0.

RE: Code names: They’re not product or version code names, but we have something like spirit animals for various features or subsystems:

We should try to do a group photo some time.

Cheers,