Help with Character Resizing in Blueprint

Hello !

I am currently in a game development course which is about creating functioning prototypes of concepts instead of a complete game.
We are given themes, and given a certain amount of to complete a prototype with them; think a game jam.
My current theme is “Invincibility”, and I am creating a prototype 3rd-person platformer where the playable character cannot die, but shrinks in size incrementally each he takes damage (with a point where that stops, of course). I will be making this in Unreal 4.
The levels will be designed so that they can still be completed at every size. For example, when you become small enough, the monsters will no longer see you, and you can walk through spikes instead of being damaged by them. Ideally I would also like the camera to relocate right behind the player’s shoulder at the same location, no matter what their size.

Would you recommend using the same playable character for of this, and simply re-sizing him? How would I go about doing that in blueprint?

Or would you recommend creating different versions of the same character, just in different sizes, and switching between them? How would I switch between playable characters in blueprints, and go about creating different sized versions of the same character?

I’m still somewhat new to Unreal 4, but I hopefully should be able to grasp what you are talking about and recreate it. That being said, I would very much appreciate instructions aimed towards a beginner if possible, or links to tutorials relating to characters and their blueprints.

Hello,
Personaly, i would not bother myself with lots of characters especially if they are identical and would use the scale values (selecting root capsule component : Details / transform / scale) and an integer variable to know how interact with other actors.

IF you scale it, you might want to look at clamping the players speed as well, or you will end up with Speedy Gonzales :slight_smile:

@: Okay, so would change the single character’s size in-game instead then?
Do you have any suggestions/ideas on how to change the size of the character in blueprint, based on certain conditions?

@ Good point! I’ll try to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the responses!

You set an integer “size” value 0 normal 1 smaller 2 smallest when player is hit size = size +1 and you modify settings you want according to size (as said before speed, but height of jump too or carriable items ) and you use the integer each player interact in game to know how you set your interact.

I’m not quite sure how I would make the integer directly change the player’s size using blueprint. Would you be able to show me an example? I’ve tried looking around but haven’t found much that relates to resizing characters in-game. I would really appreciate it! If not, I’ll keep looking and experimenting.

I can not say this is the correct way. Have you played with - Set Relative Scale 3D Node?

Here is a working set-up : You need 3 vector variables : In this version : 0 = normal, 1 smaller 2 higher and system is made to be able to go to one state to any other. Basic change is only set size then set actor scale 3d but you will have an issue : actor will be underground when you set it higher then he will fall. This is why there is the second system which minus current z and add new one. Height is hard written and fits for base character, as you can change order of toggling size (with sizer) you’ll have to adjust height to your values.
Don’t forget : you need to set current location with 0,0,130 ! (or your normal size z value)
38b2d36a1c5712cbae47a295b106a296f0ae45ed.jpeg

I was right YAY, just a very simple version.

This is fantastic, thank you so much!
I will come back if I have any more questions, but this should be able to get me started.