Training Stream - Creating a Twin-Stick Shooter - Feb. 3rd, 2015

WHAT
Sr Technical Artist walks us through the creation of his Silly Geo twin-stick shooter game. Learn about camera manipulation, input setup and handling, firing and taking damage, spawning enemies, and more!

WHEN
Tuesday, Feb. 3rd @ 3:30PM - 5:00PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE

WHO

• Sr Technical Artist

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Edit: The YouTube archive is available here]()

Reallying looking forward to this stream and getting some insight on twin stick shooters, especially on stuff with enemies.

I would love it if the stream covered having the player face the direction the are attacking instead of they direction they are moving so you can be strafing and/or backpedaling while attacking, then switch back to facing where they are moving when not attacking. As well as having attacks with different ranges, sizes, spreads. Also getting enemies to approach the player but stop when they are close enough to attack the player, be it long, short, or melee ranges. You can never have too many A.I. tips after all.

Twin-Stick Shooter :confused: oh yes , i typed it in google chrome , now i know what is , like Geometry wars …
Its will be interesting again,
thank

Waiting for it already. Specially interested in seeing some AI for this kind of game.

Neat topic! Looking forward to seeing what you have to say!

Going to be awesome. Smash TV remake! let’s do this!

Thanks for a great stream and answering all our questions. How soon can we get our hands on that project? I am very eager to start picking it apart.

The project should be up in the Learn Tab soon. I don’t have an exact ETA, but we will post back here as soon as it is available.

Thanks to who joined us! (And thanks to for hosting)

My pleasure! Hopefully who got to see it (and those who watch it on YouTube or in the Learn tab) got something useful from it!

sounds like I missed another great stream. pfht -> real life, huh!

will there be an archive of all the training streams?

and are they or will they, be made accessible from inside the launcher or editor? (ie link etc.)

I believe the plan for this one is to make it available through the Learn tab once the project is released.

You can watch all the past streams here. /profile/past_broadcasts

Archive is up, and in the initial post, y’all!

And now to watch the learn tab like a hawk till the project shows up.

Anyone see it yet? It didn’t appear for me on the Learn tab. :frowning:

It’s not up on the learn tab quite yet, will be in a couple of days though

I was following the tutorial and hoping to be able to implement a similar set up with waves of enemies; however, when I test it the blueprint goes right through all the waves but nothing spawns. It does say in the Scene Outliner that they are spawning. I guess what I would like to know is if there is a set up in the game state blueprint that you did not show in the video? Also, there is no delay when the Spawn Timer ends and the Clear Spawn Timer begins and then on to the next waves set up.

Can’t wait! I just started playing around with this very thing, so this comes as a great surprise.

any ETA on the upload?

According to the people working on it, there are some parts that required 4.7 updates and they want to wait for the official 4.7 release before moving those over.