Sonic Unreal Worlds Open source UE4 Sonic Engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-5LCzSF0CI

This is a Sonic the Hedgehog engine made fully in blueprints. I’ve got the walking up walls and running through loops working but I am having huge problems with high speed collision sensing.
This is open source so you are more than free to use what you want from it. Anything I have in it is gathered from scouring these forums anyway and learning as I went along.
If anyone can help out on the collision sensory, I would be more than grateful.

2 Likes

You try activating “CCD” and “Trace Complex On Move” in your character mesh?

I check in one of my projects that collision with moving objects ins’t reliable (especially fast objects) in UE4 but that can help.

Wow. I turned CCD on my sensors and it actually helped quite a bit. Thanks for that little tip!

I hope you mean tear apart in a good way, haha. If you make any progress or changes to make it better, feel free to share. I think I’m going to set up a github repository soon so we can have community patches (And I can work on integrating it into the main release)

Now committed to Github!

1 Like

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

That spinning-noise brings me back :smiley: Amazing work!

Man this is f*ing awesome

Sir, this is truely epic!:eek:

very nicely done, it looks like you’ve got the gameplay mechanics working pretty sweet:cool:

Nicely done! Quite impressive indeed, just one question: Am I the only one who get several crashes with the Unreal Build Tool in 4.6.1?

I hope this will be on the Twitch-stream this evening :slight_smile:

Dude, this is really something else. Good job!

Really awesome!

Toying around with this right now :smiley:

This is awesome! Will there be plans to add tails as a playable character? There’s so much awesomeness and modded sonic action to be had from this! :slight_smile:

Fantastic! I’m glad someone is making this who cares about all the proper details (momentum, plane shifting etc.) rather than just tossing some ring monitors in with a generic platformer controller. I quite like the Super transformation and the modern take on the Sonic 2 particle effect. The springs still look very “sticky” but I assume that’s because they’re WIP and are guiding the player to a specific destination.

Big update to the engine. Its now updated to work in 4.7.2
I’ve also put the movement and collision into a loop that solves teleport-into-wall problems.
I wouldn’t think they’d put my little engine on the twitch stream, haha.

good job! :slight_smile:

Funny, this already looks like it plays better than the last few generations of sonic games :slight_smile:

Memories…looks great! Really like the change in audio once submerged under water.