"Interactive plants" for UE4

Hello,
is it possible to make such “Interactive plants” in UE4 like in this Unity-Video:v=059KFK1CYaU
If yes, how excatly can i do it?

Kind regards,
Andreas

Yep, it is possible -> take a look at this tutorial + thread :slight_smile:
v=CkEueafOvFghttps://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?3268-Nature-Environment-in-UE4&highlight=

at the moment you can only ‘fake it’ with the method shown in 's links
this method is scripted only for ‘N’ amount of positions you account for in your shader. this means if you have one player character (as in those tutorials) it’ll be fine, but in a multiplayer game (or game with bots/npcs) then you’ll only have ‘N’ amount of objects interacting with the foliage. i.e. if you want 3 entities interacting with foliage you need to add 3 times as many shader nodes, and so on

a more flexible implementation isn’t there but has been requested already. might as well only come out of the nvidia gameworks implementation

Hello,

i have found this link:
?v=3sbCxSH_9LM&index=36&list=WL

Is it necessary to make it like in this Video to become “Bending Plants” or is there a simpler way?
Kind regards,
Andreas

You can also use a material effect (my upper link) -> but you probably wont get such a good result :slight_smile:

Hello ,
did you know, where i can download the Solution from Thümmler?
Kind regards,
Andreas

I think he hasn’t uploaded it, but what exactly do you want to create? (when you just want, that it moves your foliage when the player touches it, I can post a picture/file) :slight_smile:

Hello ,
yes i will do excatly that (moving my foliage when the player touches…).
Can you **please **upload a file?
Kind regards,
Andreas

Those pictures should explain everything (it’s probably not the best way to do it ^^):

In your material you have to add this part -> connect it with “world position offset” (this will add wind to the foliage + let’s it move when the player touches it)

Set up a material parameter collection

In your character bp you have to add this

Hello ,
thank you very much for this.
Is it possible for you that you can show this “Moving Foliage” in a short Video?
I mean with a plant not with Grass.
Kind regards,
Andreas

I will post one tomorrow :smiley:

Edit:

Is it ok when I show it to you with a bush, because atm I dont have access to other type of plants

Hello ,
Of Corse its ok.
Thanks a Lot,
Andreas

Hi I have just done what you show in blueprint but the absolute world position has made the material to move away from the tree, how can I solve it??

Ok, I will upload one tomorrow (was pretty busy today :()

You could also use the object world position

Dont know if you can see it on the video, but here it is (look closely at the parts where the character touches the bush) :slight_smile: -> of course this can be improved by using a custom wind setup (atm I just use the default wind node from epic games)

Is there a way to get the reaction working with multiple character instances?