User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIALS] Photons Be Free: Mini-tutorials and other curiosities

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hobson View Post
    Hi Osok,
    Custom Impact Resistance is bugged at the moment with 4.7 and previous version. This was fixed recently and will be included in 4.8 once that releases.
    I am happy to hear it is a bug and not something I was doing incorrectly. I look forward to the fix. Thank you.
    Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
    Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
    Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
    Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
    Digital Portfolio

Unreal Engine Support
    Destructible How-To #4: FBX Chunks Continued - Barrel and Fence

Coming Shortly.
    Last edited by Tim Hobson; 04-20-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
    UE4 Documentation
    Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Unreal Engine Support
    Destructible How-To #5: Using "Do Not Fracture" to make a hole in the wall

Overview:

The Flag for Do Not Fracture allows assigned chunks to not be break away from the destructible even if enough force has been applied to do so. This can be useful for making sure parts of the destructible never break or if you want to have a simple hole that can be blown away in a wall for your character to go through.

Basic Destructible Settings:

Name:  Basic_Settings.png
Views: 3150
Size:  28.7 KB

For this part, the settings focused on are Impact Damage and Support Depth.

It is not required to use Impact Damage, but can be if you want a impact from any physical objects to impart damage on the destructible.

Support Depth on the other hand is required to make this work.

Chunk Parameters: Do Not Fracture

Depth 0: no fracture applied:
    Name:  Depth 0.png
Views: 3125
Size:  116.9 KB

Depth 1: slightly exploded view of the fracture chunks:
    Name:  Depth_1.png
Views: 3143
Size:  205.5 KB

In order to assign the chunks we want to NOT be fracture we need to select them with the mouse. Hold CTRL and LMB to select chunk that you want to assign a flag in Chunk Parameters. When selected you will see a blue bounds box around the chunk.

Once you have a selected the chunks you want to assign a flag, go to the Chunk Parameters Tab and select Do Not Fracture.

That's it! You have now set up a basic wall that can have chunks that cannot be fractured.

Final Results

Last edited by Tim Hobson; 04-20-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Destructible How-To #6: Using "Impact Resistance" for better damage effects (ie. glass vs. concrete wall)

THIS WILL ONLY WORK WITH 4.8 OR LATER.

Overview:

This will cover a basic setup for using Custom Impact Resistance to make a destructible that can provide a low resistance to impact like Glass or one that provides more resistance to an impact, like a Concrete Wall.

Basic setup for LOW resistance

Name:  CustomImpactResistance_Low.png
Views: 3124
Size:  34.4 KB

for the basic setup enable Custom Impact Resistance and set a low value. This can depend on some of the Impact Damage and Damage Spread settings as well, but for a basic example this will get you started.

Demonstration of LOW resistance

Basic Setup for HIGH resistance

Name:  CustomImpactResistance_High.png
Views: 3144
Size:  21.3 KB

Using High Resistance, the Impact Damage and Damage Spread play bigger roles in the look and feel of your destructible.

To find a good starting point for the High resistance, try setting a large value and working your way down to a lower one until you get something that looks OK.

At that point, Adjusting the Impact Damage and the Damage Spread can help refine this even further.

Demonstration of HIGH resistance

Last edited by Tim Hobson; 04-20-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support

Other How-To #5: Custom Collision Beginning to End

Other How-To #5: Custom Collision Demonstration - Beginning to End

Overview:

This will be a demonstration of the concepts put forth in the documentation for FBX Static Mesh Pipeline.

Documentation: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/StaticMeshes/index.html#collision

Step 1: Collision Shapes

There are three types of custom collision that can be used when creating your own custom collision.

Name:  Types of Collision.png
Views: 3125
Size:  216.1 KB

When making convex collision shapes it’s best to avoid shapes that are like this:

Name:  Types of Collision_No1.png
Views: 3081
Size:  66.8 KB]

A mesh that is too accurate like this will not be considered as a single convex hull. See Step 3 for examples of why this will not work well as a convex hull.

Step 2: Naming

Box = UBX_[MeshName]_XX

Sphere = USP_[MeshName]_XX

Convex = UCX_[MeshName]_XX

When creating your custom collision mesh it is important that the mesh name of the collision mesh match the mesh you’re creating for collision. If you’re going to use more than one collision mesh you will simply need to add numbers to each collision mesh. If you're using a single collision hull, there is no need to use "_XX" after the mesh name.

For example:

Mesh name: Statue

I want to add three collision spheres to my mesh.

I create the three spheres and name each one.

USP_Statue_00, USP_Statue_01, and USP_Statue_02

GIF demonstration
    http://imgur.com/gallery/YuVBZMx

Step 3: Import Options

Name:  Import Options.png
Views: 3053
Size:  68.9 KB

There are two options here that we need to be aware of when importing custom collision.

Auto Generate Collision: If there is no collision hulls detected with your mesh using the prefix UCX, USP, or UBX the editor will generate basic collision on import. If these prefixes are detected this option will be ignored on import.

One Convex Hull Per UCX: This option when disabled will import more accurate collision, but it will generate multiple convex hulls rather than a single convex hull. See the example below with this disabled. This can sometimes produce errors with collision hulls that are generated though.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box Collision – UBX

Name:  UBX_BoxCollisionUE4.png
Views: 3070
Size:  163.7 KB

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sphere Collision – USP

Name:  USP_SphereCollisionUE4.png
Views: 3063
Size:  162.7 KB

Convex Collision – UCX

Name:  UCX_ConvexCollisionUE4.png
Views: 3044
Size:  171.9 KB

Convex Collision that is too accurate

Accurate Collision Mesh

Name:  accurateCollisionMesh.png
Views: 3051
Size:  30.9 KB

Results with Import options One Convex Hull Per UCX: Enabled

Name:  Convex_1Hull_Enabled.png
Views: 3074
Size:  353.1 KB

In this image you will see that with the option enabled in the import options the collision that is imported does not look like the more accurate collision mesh we have. This is because that would not be able to make a single convex collision hull.

Think about this like a barrel with the inside hollowed out. A single convex collision hull would not be able to provide accurate collision for the interior of the mesh. The collision would simply be a cylinder that is around the barrel as a single collision hull.

Results with Import options One Convex Hull Per UCX: Disabled

Name:  Convex_1Hull_Disabled.png
Views: 3080
Size:  375.9 KB

Now that we've disabled the option for one convex hull we can see that our mesh has more accurate collision that represents the original mesh above. This is done by creating multiple collision hulls from the more accurate collision mesh we tried to import.

Name:  Convex_1Hull_Enabled_IndividualHulls.png
Views: 3083
Size:  392.0 KB

As you can see in this image with some of the collision hulls pulled off to the side we now have multiple hulls that comprise our collision for the mesh. If you look at the indicated of primitives on the top left of the viewport in the Static Mesh Editor you will see that there is a number referencing how many collision hulls were created.

This is not necessarily the best option and it's always better to use lower collision primitive counts where possible.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BONUS: Creating Collision in UE4 Static Mesh Editor with AUTO-CONVEX Collision

In the Static Mesh Editor go to Menu > Collision > Auto Convex Collision

This will open this tab:

Name:  AutoConvexCollisionTab.png
Views: 3021
Size:  22.3 KB

There are two options here.

Accuracy: This will determine how accurate the collision hulls that are generated are to the mesh.

Max Hull Verts: This will determine the number of vertices that should be used for each collision hull that is generated.

Examples using Auto Convex Collision

Accuracy: 0.5
    Max Hull Verts: 16
    Num of Hulls: 3

Name:  AutoCollision1.png
Views: 3033
Size:  131.4 KB

Accuracy: 0.75
    Max Hull Verts: 16
    Num of Hulls: 5

Name:  AutoCollision2.png
Views: 3043
Size:  127.8 KB

Accuracy: 1.0
    Max Hull Verts: 32
    Num of Hulls: 24

Name:  AutoCollision3.png
Views: 3038
Size:  132.8 KB

Auto Convex is getting a good update in 4.8 that will make it much more accurate when generating collision via this method.

As you can also see from the number of collision hulls generated, even making out the auto-convex collision settings gives us much less than the 162 by generating our own collision that does not use a single convex hull.

The best choice here is to find a balance for what works best for your collision while retaining a more true collision response to your mesh. For objects that need it this would be a good way to get more accurate collision. For objects that don't need accurate collision I would suggest using the box or sphere primitives where needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    UE4 Documentation

Auto Convex is getting a good update in 4.8 that will make it much more accurate when generating collision via this method. ...
    Ty very much, for this Thread.
    What is with the performance inside UE, if you make massive use of auto-convex?
    Best regards Stefan
    My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
    UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Destructible How to #1: Effectively using "Import FBX Chunks" for Destructible Meshes

In this setup I'll be using a parking meter as an example.
    etc,etc...
    The video doesn't load in the forum, I had to quote to find the link and watch it in youtube.

Unreal Engine Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftbauch View Post
    What is with the performance inside UE, if you make massive use of auto-convex?
    In what regards? Using too many collision hulls for more accuracy?

Are you experiencing any issues with auto-convex collision causing performance issues? It seems to imply this in your question.

Let me know what your use with it is and I can do some of my own tests and see if I take a look.
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Quote Originally Posted by ikifenix View Post
    The video doesn't load in the forum, I had to quote to find the link and watch it in youtube.
    Thanks for letting me know ikifenix. Fixed the link. https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?56777-TUTORIALS-Photons-Be-Free-Mini-tutorials-and-other-curiosities&p=207604&viewfull=1#post207604

Once 4.8 releases I plan on updating this since the car is noticeably stopped when it hits the DM and then it falls over.

With 4.8 I'll be able to use Custom Impact Resistance to help make this better so that anything below that impact value will not cause any damage, but when I have a impact large enough it will knock it over without the stopped of the vehicle.
    UE4 Documentation

many thanks for you

Unreal Engine Support
    Destructible How-To #7: The power of World Support

Overview:

In this short example we'll go over the use of the "World Support" flag in the Destructible Mesh Settings.

World Support is simply a way to enable the Destructible to be environmentally supported by any static geometry inside the level that it's in contact with so long as it has at least a Support Depth of 1.

Setting up World Support

The setup is fairly straight forward. There are two things that initially need to be setup to make this work. Support Depth needs to be set to the depth layer that it will be supported. If you're using the in-editor tool this will simply be 1, since there cannot be more than one depth layer created in this tool.

The next setting is to enable "World Support" flag.

Name:  WorldSupportDMSettings.png
Views: 2900
Size:  45.9 KB

Demonstration

What's going on:

By enabling World Support and using at least a Support Depth of 1 we have enabled our destructible to be supported by static geometry that it's in contact with.

The Support Depth allows chunks to stick together without breaking apart unless they've received enough damage to do so. By enabling World Support this will keep the chunks that are in contact with static geometry that have not received enough damage to break free supported and in place.

The outer edges in this DM are supported by the static walls because they've not received enough damage to break free yet.

Name:  DM_Scene_worldSupported.png
Views: 2970
Size:  556.4 KB

In the video demonstration, we see the first wall does not have World Support enabled. This allows the wall to be pushed back when enough force hits it. It will bounce around since it's not supported by the environment, whereas the second wall is supported by the floor that it's in contact with causing the bottom of the mesh to be environmentally supported by the static geometry.
    UE4 Documentation

Destructible How-To #7: The power of World Support

.... [Removed extraneous information]

Amazing documentation Tim, I wanted to find information to how to implement physics calculate in UE4. Further, I also work with 3ds Max for create geometries and I was very interested to how to work with APEX PhyX plug-ing in Max. One question, It will be possible that APEX PhyX can be integrated into UE4 in the future?.

Thanks for the documentation and greetings.
    Last edited by Tim Hobson; 04-30-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Removed most of quote block

Unreal Engine Support
    Hey Jps7101,

At the moment there are no plans for Epic to integrate the full PhysX SDK into UE4 beyond what's already available for destruction. HOWEVER, one of our community developers, Backov (Jason M.) has integrated it into his own build of the engine and he does hope that when he's done with it to submit it as a pull-request so that it can be integrated.

You can find more information and a demonstration of his work here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?66389-I-ve-made-a-new-Destructible-Mesh-Editor-for-UE4

His version eliminates the need for PhysX Labs or the PhysX DCC Plugin to create destructible assets. I've got an early build of it that he demonstrates. I've talked with him and have a build of the editor to help him test it out and offer some feedback.

Feel free to ask questions anytime. If there is a setup with Destructibles that you'd like to see just post here and I'll do what I can to get a simple example up, similar to the other ones I've got.
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Destructible How-To #8: Damage Spread

Overview:

The goal with this "How-To" will be to take a look at how Damage Spread works with applying damage to our destructible mesh.

Step 1: What is Damage Spread?

Damage Spread is essentially how easy damage spreads to the other chunks in the destructible.

If we have a wall destructible, think about the impact point being the center of a radius of damage. The damage spread will be how much damage is passed to the surrounding chunks to break them free as well.

If we have a damage spread of 0 only the chunks that are impacted directly and receive enough damage to break free will do so.

If the damage spread is set to 0.1 (default), if the impact force is strong enough the damage passed to surrounding chunks can be enough to break all or some of the chunks free.

This is the formula for calculating the Damage Radius:

Damage Radius = Damage * Damage Spread

All chunks within the damage radius will take full damage at the point of impact. At the edge of the damage radius 0 damage will be applied.

Demonstration

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjxyupepx12by14/dmgsprd1.gif?dl=0

Tips:

If you're having trouble with setting up Damage Spread, try adjusting lower values for Impact Damage, setting a Damage Cap for damage application, and/or Increase the Damage Threshold.

A single settings will likely not produce the results you're looking for. It will require multiple tweaks to get just right.
    UE4 Documentation

Smile

Hey Jps7101,

At the moment there are no plans for Epic to integrate the full PhysX SDK into UE4 beyond what's already available for destruction. HOWEVER, one of our community developers, Backov (Jason M.) has integrated it into his own build of the engine and he does hope that when he's done with it to submit it as a pull-request so that it can be integrated.

You can find more information and a demonstration of his work here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?66389-I-ve-made-a-new-Destructible-Mesh-Editor-for-UE4

His version eliminates the need for PhysX Labs or the PhysX DCC Plugin to create destructible assets. I've got an early build of it that he demonstrates. I've talked with him and have a build of the editor to help him test it out and offer some feedback.

Feel free to ask questions anytime. If there is a setup with Destructibles that you'd like to see just post here and I'll do what I can to get a simple example up, similar to the other ones I've got.
    Hello Tim,

I will studied the documentation attentively. Thank you very much!

Greetings.

Favorite thread ever. Thx

Could have a version of these tutorials in maya also

But do not worry, I wrote this more as a bookmark to be able to visit this thread later.

Luny

Unreal Engine Support
    Unfortunately, I only have direct access to Max and I'm not all that familiar with Maya to be honest.

I have, I think, three tutorials that use Max as a basis. Two of those are using plugin's that should be very similar to use in Maya.

The APEX Cloth one should be very similar since that is just using the DCC Plugin for PhysXLab.

The DM Animated rigid mesh is the same process in Maya. Bake the animation to a timeline and make sure to group all the chunks together. Once that is ready, export with the animation and import into UE4.

The Collision Mesh setup, this may be different depending on a modifiers availability or not since I use a specific one to get better results. I'm just not familiar enough with Maya to say if this is the case there or not. :/

If I missed something or you have a specific one that needs better flow let me know and I can take a look. One of the guys on our team has Maya so I can always double check things there and better explain if needed.
    UE4 Documentation

Hi, Tim Hobson

Okay. Is possible to clearly understand their tutorials in Max. No problem

Luny

Unreal Engine Support
    Coming in the near future.

This is something I've been working on in my free time outside of work that I plan to make available at some point soon.

Name:  SponzaAttrium.png
Views: 2421
Size:  935.2 KB

Name:  SPonzaTest.PNG
Views: 2416
Size:  943.6 KB

Inspiration for this is directly taken from Marko Dabrovic and Crytek's Frank Meinl

Marko Dabrovic's version: http://hdri.cgtechniques.com/~sponza/files/

Name:  Marko.jpg
Views: 2460
Size:  226.6 KB

FrankMeinl's version: http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3/downloads

Name:  frank.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  290.5 KB

My inspiration for recreating this is to use in a lot of lighting tests and general editor tests that I use for my own rendering uses. It's still in the early stages as I need to clean up my Lightmaps, some geometry, and add some more detailing along with getting my materials. My main goal with this, unlike the original files, is to focus on a modular approach, especially for testing use cases with Distance Field techniques.

My ultimate goal with this is to have a bunch of test maps for this with a range of lighting tests from Static to Dynamic. If you follow any of my posts here just keep an eye out for updates in the near future.

I also want to include not only the Sponza Atrium with this but some tests with simple Cornell Boxes. There are a host of tests and tweaks with GI that can be really interesting and fun to setup and get looking right. It'll be fun to share these tests with you and get any feedback you may have.

Name:  cornellbox.png
Views: 2379
Size:  49.3 KB
    UE4 Documentation

Thank you so much

Unreal Engine Support
    WIKI Guide: Swarm Agent Troubleshooting and Tips!

Swarm Agent Troubleshooting and Tips Guide

Recently I finished a basic troubleshooting guide for Swarm Agent. If you're not familiar with it this is the application often hidden behind the curtain when you build lighting for your scene. Lightmass in UE4 will export information to Swarm Agent to process and do all the heavy lifting.

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of information out there about using Swarm Agent and troubleshooting some of the issues that can arise from time to time. This guide, while not comprehensive, is a starting point for the most common questions that come up when building lighting for your scenes.

I have not added any information about using Swarm Agent and Swarm Coordinator for setting up light builds for multiple machines or a build farm. This is something I would like to get to in the future, it's just not something I can commit to at the moment.

Hopefully this will help anyone who is experiencing issues when building lighting. If you have anything to suggest or would like to see added please feel free to add a comment here. I cannot guarantee that I will be able to add it, but I' am more than happy to consider it for the Wiki.
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    WIKI Guide: Destructible Troubleshooting and Tips!

Destructible Troubleshooting and Tips Guide

Recently finished basic and common questions guide for Destructible meshes for the Wiki. This guide will have basic questions and answers along with mention of some limitations and tips that may be helpful.

These are some of the most asked questions that those new to Destructible Meshes have come across. If you have any suggestions, or something doesn't make sense please let me know and I can update it to be more clear.
    UE4 Documentation

This thread is superb! I'll probably be bombarding you with questions later but for now all I can say is a big thank you!

Right, so I come from a CE background and the best way to do destruction in CE was having it predefined:

• Nodes represent the breakpoint (like nails)
    • The black mesh is the foundation mesh (attached to the world)
    • The white mesh are the chunks
    • The red mesh are debris pieces which are spawned when a chunk is destroyed.

So, my question is how would I recreate the above in UE? I've read through your tutorials and looked at sample assets and i'm not sure if the above example is even possible? Is it a case that the engine automatically checks the mesh to see how many objects are in the FBX and each object is turned into a chunk when imported in engine? If that's the case, is it even possible to allocate debris (red debris in pic above) to each chunk?

Final question for today. Lets say you have a power pole and a large vehicle hits into it. In an ideal world the pole would fall over like a tree. However, you'd also want the pole to be split into chunks to allow a rocket to blast it in half. That way the pole has 2 ways of being destroyed, run into and blown up. How exactly would you do this? In CE, the nodes act as nails and therefore if the vehicle damaged the bottom nail the ones above would remain intact and therefore would fall down intact. Can this be reproduced in UE? Apologies for the question overload but i'm trying to understand the scope of the destruction technology. As lets face it, destruction is awesome!

Unreal Engine Support
    No problem on the questions. I don't have the time at the moment to setup anything specific to show, but I'll try to give a high-level overview of where I would start to look for setting something like this up.

Question 1: Pre-defined destruction.

This is possible, it just requires using Blueprints rather than specifically the Destruction Editor. This is actually something I'm really interested in setting up as an example on the Troubleshooting Wiki for Destructibles that I recently posted. This would be really useful for those who are using mobile that want to use destruction as well.

The way I would start approaching this is having my separate pieces and setting up a Blueprint that would do some checks for damage and then spawn the relevant chunks that are needed. It doesn't seem to overly complex to set something simple up, but if you require something more specific it can probably lead to a lot of tweaking to get the look and feel just right.

This one is high on my list of examples I would like to set up, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it, which I'm limited on at the moment. If I did set something up it would probably be a really simple example for the time being.

Question 2: Multiple Damage scenarios for DM

I've not set this type of example up before specifically, but it may be better to use a Basic Destructible created in UE4 or in PhysXLab with multiple Destruction Depths. I would then look into the blueprints that will be applying the damage to the DM and casting to it specifically.

As an example using Unreal's Destruction Editor/PhysXLab:

- A single DM with basic settings, fracture, etc.

If I wanted the Vehicle to cause specific kinds of damage I would open the Vechicle BP and setup the logic here. I would use a Cast to Destructible node and then from there you can apply the damage in a way that you see fit. You can spawn specific particle emitters, or whatever you need since the vehicle's hit will be the only thing applying damage to the DM.

If I had a weapon, like a rocket launcher, I could do the same thing with this where I cast to the DM and it applies damage in a specific way, or I don't have to cast specifically do the DM unless I want the rocket to ONLY affect the DM.

Does that make sense?

If you want to only use a predefined form of destruction like in Question 1, That would be a similar setup. You would just apply the Cast To [name of your Destruction BP] to apply damage in a very specific way.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with CE or even Unity's ways of handling destruction, and I don't have any specific examples I've setup at the moment to share. If you have an example from CE that you can share a video of I can take a look and when I do find the time I can attempt to set up something similar for comparison. I was not aware that CE handled destruction in that way, so it'd be nice to see some alternative methods and get examples together where possible.

Feel free to ask questions. I don't guarantee I'll have an answer, but I can try! As with anyone working in any engine, I do have my own interests and specialties, as I'm sure you're already aware of from this thread.
    UE4 Documentation

Thanks for the reply! If you wanted to use any of my test examples then i'll throw up my 3ds files. I experimented a fair bit with destruction models in CE and managed to do some pretty nice samples, the only issue with CE was their frankly inadequate code. So for example the damage spread was very tricky to adjust and there was no such thing as low/high resistance (looking forward to playing with that!). Also no matter how much mass you gave the debris they always felt like they were made from foam and not stone/concrete. All style and no substance!

Predefined destructible houses like this were great fun to setup and loads of fun to blow up! I'm hoping to do something similar in UE. But as I've never played around with destruction in UE i'm having to work out how each method will be done. Blueprints sounds like probably the best direction as i'd have more control on the finished visual.

I remember the most fun I had was being able to drive tanks through buildings and leave a tank shaped hole! Anyhow, thanks for the time! Now time to experiment!

Unreal Engine Support
    Destructibles are definitely an area I really enjoy, if that's not already evident.

I've been working with our Learning Resources team part-time split between my time with our Engine Support team and I've been updating the Destructible stuff that is in our documentation.

Recently, I've updated the Destructible Properties Matrix page which hadn't been updated to include a lot of the settings.

I've setup a new map for the Content Examples that will include 5 rooms and break down all the Destructibles properties. There will also be documentation pages to go along with these as well. This likely won't be released before 4.10/4.11. I've still got a little bit more to finalize and finish up the pages. This is more a side project at the moment. So keep an eye for that in the future!

Name:  CE_DM.png
Views: 2231
Size:  410.2 KB

Lastly, I've recently added a new page that is in the process of being peer reviewed for the DM Editor UI. If all goes well that should be pushed live in the near future as well. It's just a basic overview similar to this Static Mesh Editor UI page.

Unfortunately, Destructibles aren't a major priority for Epic in their games at the moment so there are some known issues, but there has been a lot of progress since the engine was released publicly in March '14.
    Last edited by Tim Hobson; 09-23-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Twitch Streaming

Currently, I'm looking to gauge any interest in some twitch live streams covering any areas in lighting, physics, or destructible meshes?

As with all my content in this thread I must preface this as not being affiliated with any live streams that Epic does. Really, I'm just wanting to gauge the interest in this before posting with my personal account and setting up a time and topic. If I see enough interest in this post, I'd like to also know what you would like to see with regards to the aforementioned topics. Keep in mind that I'm not a master of all things.

If anyone is interested in this, I request the following from you in a post here:

- Out of the three topics, Lighting, Physics, or Destructible Meshes, which would you like to see. A rank from 1-3 in order of preference.
    - With each topic or any single topic, list out as many or few things that you would like to potentially see covered.
    - If you have any other suggestions, feel free to leave those as well.

This is something I've thought about doing for a while, and if there are enough people (heck, even if it's just a few) that are interested in learning anything in these areas I'm interested in helping.

Let me know your thoughts!
    Last edited by Tim Hobson; 09-24-2015 at 08:59 AM.
    UE4 Documentation

Yes please <3
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

all guides list awesome thanks mate.

Tim, while experimenting with destructible mesh stuff today I found a possible issue I thought would be worth posting. The Large Chunk Threshold setting doesn't work if you're using a Custom Collision Channel. I'm using a custom "Player" channel for my player capsule and was puzzled as to why it would collide with the chunks no matter how high I put my threshold. Eventually, I found that it worked as intended if I set the collision on the capsule to "Pawn". Would love some finer collision control over the chunks someday.

And if anyone out there is struggling like I was, check your custom collision channels!

Unreal Engine Support
    I'll check that tomorrow and bug it if that is the case.

Is your "Player" collision channel setup similarly to the 'Pawn' or any other collision channels? Or if you want to post the settings you're using for it I can see what I get on my end.

Thanks!
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Quote Originally Posted by FeuxPhep View Post
    Tim, while experimenting with destructible mesh stuff today I found a possible issue I thought would be worth posting. The Large Chunk Threshold setting doesn't work if you're using a Custom Collision Channel. I'm using a custom "Player" channel for my player capsule and was puzzled as to why it would collide with the chunks no matter how high I put my threshold. Eventually, I found that it worked as intended if I set the collision on the capsule to "Pawn". Would love some finer collision control over the chunks someday.

And if anyone out there is struggling like I was, check your custom collision channels!
    I gave this a go, and I'm seeing no issue with what I've tried to setup. I've setup a simple collision profile and object type with the default settings. I've set the object type to Block and the Preset is using Collision Enabled.

If you've got a different setup that is causing this, it may be the way it is currently setup, or there could potentially be an issue here, but I'm not seeing the same results on my end. Feel free to post back here with your setup and I'll have a look when I can.

Thanks!
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Twitch Stream: Destructibles Overview and Q&A

Forums post: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?86143-PBF-Twitch-Destructibles-Overview-and-Q-amp-A-Tim-Hobson

Stream Subject: Destructible Meshes

When: Saturday, October 3rd

Time: 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM (EST) [or longer if needed]

Outline:

• Destructible Mesh Editor Overview
    • Limitations and General Overview of PhysX Destruction
    • Light overview of PhysX Labs. Not intended to be an in-depth overview.
    • Types of Destruction (PhysX DM, BP/Mobile Prefractured Mesh, and Animation)
    • DM Example: Basic setup with Impact Damage
    • DM Example: Multiple settings for more complex setup
    • DM Example: Wall with Non-Fracturable chunks
    • Details Panel settings specific to DMs

Finish with Q&A
    UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Destructibles Overview and Q&A now available to stream on YouTube.

UE4 Documentation

Unreal Engine Support
    Twitch Stream: Occlusion Culling and General Lighting Review and Q&A

Forums post: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?86956-PBF-Occlusion-Culling-and-General-Lighting-Review-with-Q-amp-A-Tim-Hobson

Stream Subject: Occlusion Culling and Lighting

When: Saturday, October 10th

Time: 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM-ish (EST)

Outline:

YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/6MhsdwTW3SQ

Part 1:
    • General overview of what is Occlusion Culling.
    • Simple Examples of how the system works in UE4
    • Methods to basic level design with Occlusion culling
    • Methods to reduce pop-in of meshes
    • Respond to Questions

Part 2:

This section will be more open forum. We'll go through the following Levels in Content Examples:
    - Lighting
    - Dynamic Scene Shadows

This part of the stream will focus more on general questions asked and see where we go. I'll setup some examples that come up often if time allows.

• Review Content Example Maps
    • Answer Questions in each Section.
    • Explore some simple examples not necessarily demonstrated in CE demos
    • Quick look at Swarm Agent/Lightmass
    • Explore a few of the settings for Lightmass in World Settings panel
    • Answer questions along the way.
    Last edited by Tim Hobson; 02-01-2016 at 11:59 PM.
    UE4 Documentation

Promoter
    Thanks so much Tim! Just found this awesome thread. What about lighting? Especially the Light Function system. I'm looking for how to 'faking' multiple lights from single light using light function but couldn't find any tutorial or example for that. Thank you again!

Unreal Engine Support
    Quote Originally Posted by tupikp View Post
    Thanks so much Tim! Just found this awesome thread. What about lighting? Especially the Light Function system. I'm looking for how to 'faking' multiple lights from single light using light function but couldn't find any tutorial or example for that. Thank you again!
    Lighting is definitely something I would like to dedicate more time to do for any tutorials or discussions, but I've not had the time as of late to really get anything out there.

As far as Light Functions go, this is just a gray-scale material that is applied to your light. Not exactly sure what the usage would be to make it appear as multiple lights. If you could clarify with an example or some more in-depth explanation I can possibly help.
    UE4 Documentation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast