error: does not have a supported compiler! (VS2013)

I have Visual 2013 Pro x32 installed and I’m getting this error when trying the launch the Shooter demo:

LogPlayLevel:Display: InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists C:\Users\\Documents\Unreal Projects\ShooterGame\ShooterGame.uproject=True
LogPlayLevel:Display: InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists C:\Users\\Documents\Unreal Projects\ShooterGame\ShooterGame.uproject=True
LogPlayLevel:Display: BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
LogPlayLevel:Display: Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
LogPlayLevel:Display: Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationTool: You are attempting to compile on a machine that does not have a supported compiler!
LogPlayLevel:Display: Stacktrace:    at AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable`1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity)
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL)
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params)
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at BuildCommand.Execute()
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List`1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary`1 Commands)
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine)
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param)
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(MainProc Main, Object Param)
LogPlayLevel:Display:    at AutomationTool.Program.Main()
LogPlayLevel:Display: Program.Main: ERROR: You are attempting to compile on a machine that does not have a supported compiler!
LogPlayLevel:Display: copying UAT log files...
LogPlayLevel:Display: RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
LogPlayLevel:Display: BUILD FAILED

By any chance does your WIndows user name has spaces or special chars ? I had the same exact issue for these reasons.

Do you have a log file from UAT?

I’ve got same erroe, any help ? :frowning:

Same problem here. Any idea or solution? Im using unreal engine 4.3.
I just started with unreal engine and i don’t really know what could be the problem?

It only happens with the FPS projects.

Heres my output log:

[]
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists D:\UnrealProjects\Game\Game.uproject=True
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BuildCookRun.GetDefaultMap: Trying to find DefaultMap in ini files
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists D:\UnrealProjects\Game\Config\DefaultEngine.ini=True
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BuildCookRun.GetDefaultMap: Looking for DefaultMap in D:\UnrealProjects\Game\Config\DefaultEngine.ini
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): InternalUtils.SafeReadAllLines: SafeReadAllLines D:\UnrealProjects\Game\Config\DefaultEngine.ini
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BuildCookRun.GetDefaultMap: Found DefaultMap=/Game/Maps/Example_Map
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BuildCookRun.SetupParams: Cooking all maps
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): InternalUtils.SafeFileExists: SafeFileExists D:\UnrealProjects\Game\Game.uproject=True
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationTool: You are attempting to compile on a machine that does not have a supported compiler!
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Stacktrace: at: AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Bo MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): olean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params) MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: BuildCommand.Execute() MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary`1 Commands)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(MainProc Main, Object Param)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): at: AutomationTool.Program.Main()
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: You are attempting to compile on a machine that does not have a supported compiler!
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): Domain_ProcessExit
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): copying UAT log files…
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BUILD FAILED
[/]

Also i have a special “é” char in my windows username but i don’t know how could it make any trouble. Since all other example projects seems to be working well.

Hi ,

Can you post this to the answerhub at http://answers.unrealengine.com so we can track this and assist you? Thank you!

I solved the problem i had to change my windows 8 username and remove the special “é” character. It seems to be a bug.

Try http://stackoverflow.com/a/9725056 or http://stackoverflow.com/a/3874987
The second one worked for me.

I had the exact same issue. And my solution was simple.
Visual 2015 was installed on my PC but I lacked the C++ setup within Visual .

So all I had to do, was open Visual 2015 and then:
[FONT=Courier New]File -> New -> Project-> Visual C++

There you see two installation icons in the explorer window.
Press the one you need for your system and install the C++ tools.

That’s it.

has it always been a requirement to have VS installed? I honestly cannot remember needing it last time and suddenly i cant package or launch any games for windows due to not having VS installed

i reckon what annoys me the most is i do not have 1 single C++ class in my project. its all blueprint based. why i need VS is beyond me. and frankly considering i was just about to launch a project of great importance… my level of frustration on this subject is beyond words