User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JANUARY GAME JAM: Theme: BACK TO SQUARE ONE

UE Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaan View Post
    Why is everyone thinking of "back to square one" in a literal sense? Remember this is a colloquialism.
    Literal representations are more allowed - However anyone interprets the theme is cool with us!
    Twitter [@iveytron + @UnrealEngine] YouTube [/unrealengine] Twitch [/unrealengine]

Working on it!

I'm gonna get some rest tho.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    Literal representations are more allowed - However anyone interprets the theme is cool with us!
    Sadly I can't think in a small enough scope to have a usable idea. Somehow "start game with arrested character covered in blood then go play through his entire day backwards to the tragedy that started it all" sounds like a little too much work for three days heh.

Why is everyone thinking of "back to square one" in a literal sense? Remember this is a colloquialism.
    That is true, for instance we were considering time elements but all in all its tricky to ignore the square since it makes up 1/4 of the overall if we include to but really, back to is one part on its own. The thing is this colloquialism has obvious ties to gaming history in that it can be traced to board games (namely snakes [chutes] and ladders) and hopscotch both which are largely about squares.

One thing I missed about whats inside the box for instance was that it could be interpreted as a christmas theme but its been a long time since I had any boxes under the tree, digital gifts are more common as well as having friends and family globally. Im sure Epic considered this interpretation themselves and actually expected it which is why it was chosen for December in particular.

Im guessing that this has something to do with perhaps schooling and the new year, it really depends on how much weight you put on an occasion though as these holiday themes are very personal.

I think what Im saying is that it would be nice to have a less specific field of view and more in regards to the interpretation, games are ofcoarse art forms too so I do think we need to look less literally but does that mean I should do something involving pi because this says square? That wouldnt make alot of sense would it!?

We considered things like starting at the end of the game and working forward or being shunted back to the start but both of those are quite literal interpretations, Im just finding it extremely difficult not to take this literally.

Sadly I can't think in a small enough scope to have a usable idea. Somehow "start game with arrested character covered in blood then go play through his entire day backwards to the tragedy that started it all" sounds like a little too much work for three days heh.
    That does sound like a fun idea though!
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Im guessing that this has something to do with perhaps schooling and the new year, it really depends on how much weight you put on an occasion though as these holiday themes are very personal.

I think what Im saying is that it would be nice to have a less specific field of view and more in regards to the interpretation, games are ofcoarse art forms too so I do think we need to look less literally but does that mean I should do something involving pi because this says square? That wouldnt make alot of sense would it!?

We considered things like starting at the end of the game and working forward or being shunted back to the start but both of those are quite literal interpretations, Im just finding it extremely difficult not to take this literally.
    I wouldn't particularly see starting at the end of the game and rewinding as a literal interpretation (as such would be more of the colloquial interpretation). But I hadn't initially considered ideas of school and new year. There is a lot that can be drawn from ideas of growth and renewal. You could even fit a survival aspect into this theme along the lines of someone getting fed up with society and "going back to square one" by heading out to a forest and you do the ol' "Don't Starve" harvesting and building to reach a climax of appreciating a simple life without modern conveniences. Its really about abstractly looking at the many ways in which you can draw gameplay elements from a single source. But I can't personally think of any way to involve Pi. :P

I wouldn't particularly see starting at the end of the game and rewinding as a literal interpretation (as such would be more of the colloquial interpretation). But I hadn't initially considered ideas of school and new year. There is a lot that can be drawn from ideas of growth and renewal. You could even fit a survival aspect into this theme along the lines of someone getting fed up with society and "going back to square one" by heading out to a forest and you do the ol' "Don't Starve" harvesting and building to reach a climax of appreciating a simple life without modern conveniences. Its really about abstractly looking at the many ways in which you can draw gameplay elements from a single source. But I can't personally think of any way to involve Pi. :P
    Well my example of PI was just an interesting concept I might try to make a game around myself at some stage, with these ideas you and I have put forward none of them are particularly interesting (Im excluding the one Alexander commented on ) I really want to focus on new and interesting gameplay but I always end up falling into this rut of samey stuff, I think we largely got lucky last time as it all kind of clicked together but this time it just seems abrasive like we have to force things because any interesting time mechanic is out of the scope of a Jam with a few people. Timeline is there and there are plenty of engine features to exploit but its still very difficult to prototype things in the engine because there are barriers, some things are great and flow well but others you are constantly hitting brick walls and it can be frustrating especially with such limited time.

You end up limiting the scope of the game and thus the gameplay to the point it becomes less interesting, I certainly want to do something more original but so far its hard to break out of those molds and get "back to square one".
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 01-16-2015 at 11:26 AM.

think of catch 22 situations ...no matter what,when,how you try you always go back to where you started

I'm going to be working with my friend on this!

Infiltrator
    Rebirth - Save the lost souls and conduct them to the rebirth; The reincarnation; BACK-TO-SQUARE-ONE!

PLEASE, READ THE TUTORIAL - DONT FORGET TO REALESE THE SOULS BY PRESSING C

Team Name: Team G
    Team Members: Gabriel Regis - Programming and Art | Eduardo Zimmer - Translator |
    You can acess the tutorial at the Menu

Link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!7k5QTI4T!d_Y7m9fQu7Qxrf7jeqikULNkNsSgv7kMVssu351CB3A

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPEea9PrzI&feature=youtu.be

ScreenShot

Last edited by Progab; 01-16-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Supporter
    Question about the rules, because I'm not 100% even after reading through them a few times.
    As a musician, am I ineligible to contribute to a project as a team member unless I'm a subscriber to UE4 as well?

UE Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Xir0 View Post
    Question about the rules, because I'm not 100% even after reading through them a few times.
    As a musician, am I ineligible to contribute to a project as a team member unless I'm a subscriber to UE4 as well?
    You're good to play, Xir0
    Twitter [@iveytron + @UnrealEngine] YouTube [/unrealengine] Twitch [/unrealengine]

Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    You're good to play, Xir0
    Appreciate the quick response, and thanks for the clarification!

UE Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Xir0 View Post
    Appreciate the quick response, and thanks for the clarification!

Infiltrator
    We are working on a game (2 person), but theres one more, who can do the texturing, however she has no active subscription yet. (Will get in a few days.) Can she enter as well?

Well I just managed to screw up our project, back to square one. ;p

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoTek View Post
    Well I just managed to screw up our project, back to square one. ;p
    A great lesson, to use version control :P

Patron

Wink Submission

I've made so little progress today, I feel like wrapping it up early

Team Name: CurrentFrame
    Team Members: cd
    Game Name: Square Hopper

Download link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8kpzo-h7rj1VW9BSi1BMFhnZmc/view?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8kpzo-h7rj1VW9BSi1BMFhnZmc&export=download

Description:
    It's a first person platformer set in a surreal space-like environment. You basically just walk around and hop over obstacles, and in the process of doing this, the square-constructed environment becomes lit up. By lighting up more squares, you open up new areas of the game world. But even if you unlock everything, there is no concrete win condition. You cannot escape square one.

Controls:
    Same as the first person blueprint template
    -WASD: move forward/back/strafe
    -Space: jump
    -Left click: Fire balls of light

Mechanics:
    -Touch a square (by moving on top of it / next to it) to light it up
    -Hitch a ride on the floating square to quickly traverse the environment

Potential problems:
    -You might fall through the revolving squares if you land at an awkward angle
    -You really only need the floating square in the second area. In the third part, riding on it can be dangerous. To have it move to the next area, you only need to touch it

Screenshot:
    Last edited by cd; 01-17-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Hi All

Team: Ayretek
    Members: Ayretek
    Game Name: CrazySquares
    (game file name: AyretekSquareOne)

How to Play: You'll figure it out!

Edit: I Thought about putting these warnings in the game earlier and dismissed the idea as I thought it might have been taken as a boast or advertising trick or something, but after watching Allar play the game on his Awesome Twitch Stream last night, I decided to post these warnings:

Edit: This game uses visual/optical illusions as well as spatial displacement to play tricks on the eyes of the viewer.
    Warning: could be potentially disorientating and may potentially cause nausea and other side effects!

WARNING: This video could potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. Viewer discretion is advised!

Link: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0BzKnAtkCk9VwX2xraC0tWWhVWXc

Good Luck to Everyone!
    Last edited by ayretek; 01-19-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Needed to add 'Warning' Label

Supporter
    Team Name: Accel Games
    Members: Alex Mason, Gornel Bah, YT RhYmZ
    Game Name: SketBoard
    Song Url: https://soundcloud.com/yt-rhymz/what-the-hell-cypher-verse

Controls: WASD (Movement), Mouse (Camera), R (Restart), Space (Jump)
    URL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzxEGQBJqdh1WFBxQnRISDB5VEE/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Here is a post-deadline bugfixed version, our submission version has a bug where the Join screen doesn't disappear.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxEGQBJqdh1emFHNjFFU29JV0U&authuser=0
    We are aware that this version may not be considered for the Jam, but if you want to play multiplayer please download the fixed version.

We are looking for a 2d concept artist for future game releases. If you know anyone who can do some nice 2d art or has strong drawing skills, get in contact with us at developers@accelgames.com Or just let us know what you think

Last edited by Gono; 01-19-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added email addresses

I don't understand the deadline timer. What time do I follow ? I'm thinking it's probably the blue box, but what the heck is the yellow box ? O_O ??!?!?

Patron
    Wait, we still have a day left? The timer goes until Monday, but according to the first post, the deadline was 15 minutes ago

Quote Originally Posted by cd View Post
    Wait, we still have a day left? The timer goes until Monday, but according to the first post, the deadline was 15 minutes ago
    "midnight on the night of January 18th"

Meaning before it turns to the 19th I thought ? Because this is the morning of the 18th.

Well I mean if the deadline is past now then they only have four games... I think it's safe to assume that it was a typo in the post and the countdowns are right, at least I hope so. Anyways cool stuff guys, mines pretty close to done too. I'll post it soon.

Team Name: Kutinsoft
    Team Member: Brendan Kutin
    Name of Submission: My Turn
    Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/acyens6kxoapm8e/JanGJUE4_Kutinsoft_MyTurn.rar?dl=0
    My submission is a short exploration game inspired by PT (Silent Hills). It is compatible with the oculus rift for the best experience. Enjoy!
    Controls
    AWSD- Movement
    Spacebar- Jump
    Shift- Sprint

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonRah View Post
    "midnight on the night of January 18th"

Meaning before it turns to the 19th I thought ? Because this is the morning of the 18th.
    I've been working on an entry - hopefully we have the entirety of tomorrow, but if not, I suppose next time!

it means you have until midnight Sunday 18th @ 12:00, which is sort of Monday Morning because it is a.m.

another words you still have until midnight, Eastern Standard Time or Sunday Night until 12

this confusion is why he posts the time you have remaining, Chance just put 18 up there twice by mistake. (the Monday he meant was the 19th)
    there are so many submissions from different parts of the world & not all observe Daylights Savings Time or the same times that we on the east coast observe it, so use the link.
    another words, just use this countdown if you have any questions on the time remaining until the deadline:
    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20150119T00&p0=207&msg=December+Game+Jam+Deadline+Countdown
    Last edited by ayretek; 01-18-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Yeah that's pretty much what I taught happened, but thanks for confirming it though

Veteran
    I finally had a chance to enter one of these, so here goes. This one is for Ray, because everyone needs a jetpack..

Team Name: HB
    Members: Henk Bernhardt
    Game Name: HB_GoldenBalls
    Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e9b65hkf2hip8z/HB_GoldenBalls.rar?dl=0
    Last edited by Obihb; 01-18-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Team Name: JustForFun
    Members: me (1 developer, 2 artist: Sebastiano and Matteo)
    Game Name: JustForFun_Rubik
    Download Link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=243D556470911B2F!25648&authkey=!ACTVsorF8XZE2CM&ithint=folder%2czip

The game should be a basic Rubik game with some standars move and the goal is to solve it (back to square one when it was ok),
    but we had only 1 account (the other 2 are waiting the github pack activation from over 2 weeks now) and Evolve beta was out this weekend.

Problems (todo):
    cubes rotations are local instead of global (that means that you cannot combine vertical and horizzontal movements). No times to fix it

UE Community Manager
    Yes sorry for the typo! Deadline is in about 12 hrs from now! Sorry for any confusion :|

UE Community Manager
    Also a reminder: PM me the email addresses of your team members so we can dole out the rewards quicker

The First Square

Team Name: Fuchs
    Members: Fuchs
    Game Name: Fuchs_TheFirstSquare

Download
    Mirror 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5pyyqp0goe1mbj/TheFirstSquare.zip?dl=0
    Mirror 2: http://foxdev.de/downloads/TheFirstSquare.zip
    Mirror 3: http://uploaded.net/file/awyzm2ky
    Mirror 4: https://mega.co.nz/#!vc8UkIqB!JZg1MCz0x27KjmeM3_f9yyXyzwFTGhK080K-t4RmLKw

Music: http://armadillo.cc/quietthistle/
    (Creative Commons Attribution)

Gotta say this was intense. Learned a lot and had some great fun. Hope the game's not too hard or easy.

Team Name: Matt Cross
    List of Team Members: Matt Cross

Name of submission: Matt Cross_Back To Square One

Download Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!fMwTUBZA!NgzFcEVP468OkCLTHWoXB2yUYKXmr6_iMeHYf4sxV6g

Description: You are a metal ball task with the job of getting to square 2 and then back to square 1 to activate it in time before the world resets only then can you end the cycle of constant resets and finaly live your life on some sort of a normal timeline. ATTENTION look out for resets switches that have been placed in obstructive positions as they will eliminate all of your progress. During your journey look out for blue time squares as they will extend the time untill the level resets.

Controls: normal WASD controles for movement of the ball.
    - ESC returns you to the menu

info: the game is very short only has one level and is not to hard to complete but i have other stuff i need to do before the day ends and i now have the game in a non-broken state. I would love to be able to make multipule levels and longer levels but life has a habbit of getting in the way.

Wink Submission - Back To The Square

Hey guys, my submission:

Team name: Team Ultimate
    List of Team Members: me, iUltimateLP
    Name of Submission: TeamUltimate_BackToTheSquare
    Link: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B_kkwi64gdF7Ty1UaTZPNGZYTXM&export=download
    Soundtrack: From me
    Screenshots:

How To Play:

W,A,S,D basic movement
    Left click to grab objects, right click to drop
    Press the button to get a random shape out of the output. Then put this in the corresponding machine to get a square. You see those steps on the Instructions wall.
    Have fun!

BtSQ1

Team Name : MX
    List of Team Members: Ivaylo Pelov ; Ian Miller
    Name of submission:MX_BtSQ1
    Description: Cheesy 80's game
    Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHX-PingVgidTRHal85SEtzTDQ/view?usp=sharing

Team Members x1 - WarpSpasm
    Game Name - HopScotch
    DownLoad - https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5ebqy4vyfmkx4n/WarpSpasmJanGameJam.zip?dl=0
    Controls- W S A D
    Space to Jump
    Mouse to Fire

Game Jam Submission

Hello guys, here is my submission:

Team Name: Kucev
    Team Members: Gabor
    Submission Name: Kucev_SilentChamber

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5f-nrohWZfgZFhPN0w2TDBadk0/view?usp=sharing

Controls:
    Movement: WSAD
    Use: E
    Rotate Cube: Q, E

Screenshots:

Last edited by Gabor Dandar; 01-18-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Infiltrator
    Team Name: Underpant Gnomes
    Team Members: Ernő Király - Game Design | Kinga Günther - Texturing | András Torma - Mechanism/Modelling
    Name of Submission: Underpant Gnomes_Burning Sensation
    Download Link: http://goo.gl/PuQL84 - This one was a debug version with wrong playerstart location.
    Download Link: http://goo.gl/jUFRVW

Short guidelines: We did it a few times, the rock is pass-able. If you had enough, quit, do not harm your computer.

Last edited by Lostra; 01-19-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Multiple versions were uploaded, we accidentally linked a debug version with wrong playerstart location.

MaxGames - Light Runner

Team Name: MaxGames
    Team Members: Max Fights (Just me)
    Submission Name: Light Runner

Download Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!6BkCWDCa!eQzHtvykfUTPU5NjFad-Nek2krdZrI3a7WdhYWpiqHk <-- Updated Download Link (Fixed a bug that got though)

Info:
    Light Runner contains an in game tutorial which you can read, this will explain everything. But just in case I will also put some info here. I hope you guys like it, because this is my first Unreal Engine game!

Controls:
    A and D to move Left and Right.
    SPACEBAR to jump.
    P to pause the game.

Objective:
    Every unlit square you run over will count as one point, but if you run over any glowing red squares, you'll be going all the way back to square one.
    If you run over a green square you will get 10 points instead of one.
    Try to get a better score and rating each run.
    Have fun!

Last edited by MaxFights; 01-18-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added Screenshots

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast