HotHUD - A C++ HUD window manager for Blueprints

Greetings (and happy holidays),

I’ve been tinkering with UE for a short while and thought I’d share some code I’ve been working on to make dynamic HUDS a little easier to manage - I call it ‘HotHUD’, and you can get the code off my GitHub at https://github.com/NeTTwerk/HotHUD.

I’ll be updating the code regularily as my requirements evolve (and as good graphics assets for window chrome become available), and welcome constructive feedback.

The (large) screenshot below is of a construction script of a BP derived from a HotHUD which creates 3 backpacks with a few items in the first two which can be dragged and dropped
by the player (Dropping isn’t actually done yet - probably finish it up tomorrow).

Link to a short video of the thing as it works today: HotHud ExampleVideo WorkInProgress Rev1 - YouTube

And finally a snippet of the C++ header file which gives a little more juice:

• Thanks for checking out HotHud, a window manager for the UE 4.6 HUD. With HotHud,
  • you can easily create complex user-interfaces via blueprints at runtime with all
  • of the window manager complexity taken care of for you. I developed (and am
  • continuing to develop) HotHud mainly as a way of exploring UE and well… because I
  • needed a good HUD for my project :).
  • Some of HotHuds notable features include:
    • Dynamic player movable windows with title-bars, borders…
    • Single / Multi-line player editable text-boxes.
    • TileGrid controls for displaying lists of items which can be dragged & dropped
  • by the player.
    • Easy(?) to deal with co-ordinate system (controls are relative to their parent).
  • List of things I’m working on and hoping to get done soon:
    • Smart automatic scroll-bars.
    • More controls
    • Texture support for window chrome.
  • CAVEATS / LIMITATIONS / BUGS:
    • The UE object model is pretty new to me, so I’m likely not interfacing with the
  • engine in ‘the best’ way, but with tinkering comes wisdom so I have no doubt it
  • will improve over time. Constructive feedback and suggestions as to better
  • use the object model is appreciated.
    • Textures are not yet supported for window chrome. This will be changed once
  • i have some good textures to use - as it turns out I suck at drawing :wink:
    • Editable text boxes do not work yet.
    • TextBoxes do not scroll properly yet.
    • There are lots of internal code cleanups needed - this is very much a work in
  • progress :).

Best,

-NeTT

Nice job :slight_smile:

Nice, but since is under GPL this useless for people wants to use this in a game.

To say at least, that UE4 Eula excludes any code that is under GPL. Technically you can’t even use it with engine ;).

Doh of course it can’t be GPL - I’ll change the license to BSD.

It project live or dead? Don’t drop it , please!!!
And thank for BSD.:slight_smile:

Link broken… :frowning: