Using GitLab or SVN to host an Unreal Engine 4 project?

I am currently attempting to host my small Unreal Engine 4 project on a repository so my friends and I can work on it together. I have tried to put the project on my private GitLab but I am running into issues due to the size of the project (2.21GB).

What is the proper way to host an Unreal Engine 4 project? I know repositories are typically just for code but with UE4 everything is tied into each other so much that trying to just repo the code wont help that much.

You’ve hit the wall everyone hits with Git - it can’t handle game data very well.

SVN is an option that will get you much better results than Git for an Unreal project repo.

Epic uses Perforce which is in my opinion an even stronger option than SVN. It’s free for 20 users/workspaces, it’s fast, reliable and is designed to handle big binary repositories. It’s pretty much the de facto version control in the game industry.

If you don’t want to use perforce, SVN is going to be your only real option until someone makes a decent binary extension for git.

Cheers

/ Kyle

Awsome thanks for the info! I see that there are prices for groups of people but also apparently free hosting for up to 20 users? The 20 person version is hosted on my private server and my friends use the client I assume?

I was just about to setup a server with GitLab on a DigitalOcean server when I came across this. So GitLab will not work good with UE4 !? That seems so strange considering it’s very much the same as GitHub which is what Epic uses for UE4 and nobody seems to be complaining so I was very surprised to read Kyle’s post about needing to use Perforce. If Perforce is truly free for up to 20 users and it’s the way to go then ok but I’d just like to hear more people recommend it and why (if you have some links to talks about this I’d like to read them). Using the free or even the ‘micro account’ on GitHub seems insufficient because they have a ‘soft limit’ of 1GB per repository and the free hosted solution for GitLab is the same. So finding a cheap hosting service and using an opensource code management solution and setting up a private server seems the way to go. Katianie could you comment on your experience in setting up a game dev environment ie. tips and how to. I looked on DigitalOcean and someone was trying to setup a UE4 and Perforce and it seems a bit tricky. Ok thanks for the info

Ya you can just run it on your own pc.

Even if this Thread is more then a month old, i want to say that i (we) use GitLab on my Server, to host our Project(s). The size of commits can be really high, but if you know how to configure it properly it works pretty well (didn’t run into any issues yet)

I have been using Gitlab CE since before I started using Unreal Engine (this was during my Torque 3D days) and I haven’t encountered any issues. There is a 250MB limit on HTTP pushes … but as ExCluSiv3 stated if you know how to configure the server … this is easy to overcome.

There is however no limit on SSH pushes.

My whole team also uses Sourcetree from Atlassian … and we are happily using it.