Navmesh on Stairs

Hey everyone. So I have been scratching my head a little over the last few days and haven’t managed to figure out how to fix this.

I basically have the TopDown Toolkit from Indygoof as well as the Top Down Dungeon from Manufactura K4 and I have hit a problem with the NavMesh. The NavMesh does not generate on the stairs of the assets at all. I have tried a few settings and tried to tweak a few things but I am obviously missing something … somewhere … 8-{

I have done some searching and tried to find as much information as possible, but I haven’t been able to rectify the situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check out the recent twitch stream where navmesh is discussed a bit: [Twitch] Support Stream - AI - Dec. 2, 2014 - Events - Unreal Engine Forums

There are probably a few youtube videos and pages in the documentation on it as well.

@Zeustiak: Thanks for the info, will check it out. 8-}

Okay, I figured this out … it had to do with the collision mesh set for the stairs on the Top Down Dungeons Model. The collision mesh of the default model seems to be just under the mesh of the stairs and so the NavMesh doesn’t build on the portion properly.

I basically set the option to use “Complex Geometry as Collision Mesh” and all of a sudden the NavMesh build and the player can run up and down the stairs to his/her heart’s content.

So I will use the complex option on all models that don’t seem to work properly.

Hi,
you shouldnt actually use that option since this may have quite a performance impact, especially when your levels grow. instead you could generate a new collision mesh in the mesh editor and save these as default for the stairs.

Cheers,

@indygoof: Yeah I contacted the suppliers and asked them to look in to it. I paid for the assets and it is probably to their benefit to sort out the collision mesh. 8-}

Failing that, I will sort it out myself at a later stage as I know it has a heavy performance effect. The good news is that it is only really the stairs that is a problem and there will only be a few of these in a level … so I should be able to get away with it for the prototype. 8-}

The stairs on the left are using the complex collision, the stairs on the right are using the default collision that comes with the pack.

http://www.gobbogamessa.com/screenshots/UE4/NavMesh_TopDownDungeons.png