Engine Features Preview 12/5

We’re excited to share a few of the new features now available on the branch on GitHub. To be able to try out these new features, you will need to download the source code for the branch and build the Engine yourself. For more information about how to build the Engine from source code, please see page. The branch on GitHub is constantly being updated and is not quality tested so it may be potentially unstable. We do not recommend using the branch for project development. If you wish to wait, these features will be made available to all in an upcoming official release.

Engine News

**New Features

Data Table Editing

Data Row Editor**

The new Row Editor lets you edit data in a row directly. All of the values in the selected row will be unrolled into a property grid where you can edit values like you would on other objects.

&d=1417803341

Creating New Data Tables**

You can now create new Data Tables in Content Browser. Previously, you’d have to import a spreadsheet as a .csv file to create a Data Table. Now you can create one from scratch and add rows using the new Row Editor .

Blueprint Data Access

We’ve added a new Get Data Table Row Names node so you can easily pull data from your table object in Blueprints.

&d=1417803354

Simplified C++ Subobject Construction

We’ve simplified how you construct sub-objects in C++ constructors for UObject classes.

Instead of:

MyBox = **ObjectInitializer.CreateDefaultSubobject<UBoxComponent>(, **TEXT(“MyBox”));

You can now use:

MyBox = **CreateDefaultSubobject<UBoxComponent>(**TEXT("MyBox”));

No need to specify an ObjectInitializer. means you can create sub-objects even in classes that have constructors with no arguments! is part of our work to make UObject classes behave more like regular C++ classes. Finally, you can still use the older syntax if you want to.

Misc.

Editor
• Added calls to PostEditMove when dragging an actor into the world.
• Modified AnchorIDs so children now get navigated to correctly.
• Converted the LiveEditor to use FText with Slate LiveEditor now makes use of LOCTEXT to support localized text, rather than using FString.
• Atlas visualizer improvements, and added a font atlas visualizer. Moved the existing atlas visualizer out of the Slate RHI renderer and instead made the resource manager for each renderer implement the ISlateAtlasProvider interface to provide information.

Core
• We renamed certain functions to make it obvious that don’t modify the original vector. So you now have:
o UnsafeNormal -> GetUnsafeNormal
o ClampSize -> GetClampedToSize
o ClampSize2D -> GetClampedToSize2D
o ClampMaxSize -> GetClampedToMaxSize
o ClampMaxSize2D -> GetClampedToMaxSize2D
o SafeNormal -> GetSafeNormal

Network Demos/Replays
• Added in-game HUD demo timeline to shootergame, shows demo playback position, current time, total time, etc.
• Added mouse wheel support for changing playback speed to shootergame.

Awesome! Can’t wait until is ready :slight_smile:

Data Tabes editing directly in editor ? Cool, now they can finally be useful! (not a big fan of using Excel and exporting/importing csv files, especially for nested data structures ;p).

edit:

I tried the new Data Table editor, and while it’s cool, it have two issues:

1. You can’t select row to edit directly from Row View (Data Table, tab). Which is very counter intuitive, as it was first thing I tried to do, and I guess every body, who will use editor will.

2. Row List in Row Editor, is somewhat working, but with a lot of entries… Well, you can imagine how finding single entry in list without search, with 200+ entries will go.

Instead of lurking around and waiting until it’s going to be added I made it myself:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/669
(;.

inside that link is broken for me…

Data Table edition that’s excellent.

I don’t remember but is there a way to export it to CSV, if not it could be awesome too as we will be able to import data, tweak them during test and export them back to feed outside system.
As a example, you wil be able to reimport your data in a XLS file and apply back all you formula to see & checks if the result are still in the bounds you design for your gameplay.

[=malospam;189367]
inside that link is broken for me…
[/]

You need to be logged into your active GitHub account (setup with UE4 repository access).

I see the example listed having a struct array. Does anyone know how one would go about adding an array via traditional CSV methods?

Awesome, Can edit the Data tables inside the editor. But I’ve got a few columns that are asset references, like StaticMesh and Material, I cant seem to edit those, they dont show up in the row editor.