Create a 10k tiles orthogonal maze with blueprints

As the title says, here is the link to a tutorial to build a basic orthogonal maze with blueprints like this :

the link : fen-ue4: Create a 10k tiles maze in unreal engine 4

Oooo … this is pretty cool … awesome use of BluePrints and has potential for a few cool ideas. Good Tutorial.

Great stuff, I tried to do exactly this back in 4.2.1 but it was crashing and misbehaving.
Definitely will look into your tut.

My idea was to create such blocks, then “demazify” them by removing few random walls in ne and sw directions. This should result in some maze like layout for city or level. Great start for procedurally generated maps.

It’s not bad, but I can clearly see your 10x10 grid of smaller mazes that it’s constructed from. Ideally this should not be the case.

Thanks for nice words ^^

If you go deep, remember that i used only north and east in this version and if you have trouble don’t hesitate to pm.

@Nawrot : i used it (a single 99 tiles) to simulate a city by instancing flat " square walls" as streets and add buildings upon square corners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJu6i9gG6B8 (and create multi level maze building by using z for spawn instead x, y :stuck_out_tongue: ) but i used the 55 squares / tile system shown at the end of tut.

Hi Fen,

Awesome Work!Totally generous of you to provide the link to the 5 BP Nodes. Until now, I’ve only used the Depth First Search, and just recently discovered there are several other maze classifications.

Anti-cheat aka Anti-Maze Solving Measures are critical to the security of my game product. As a First-Person Hack & Slash Dungeon Crawl, my concern is use of Trémaux’s Algorithm to solve the Labyrinth from the inside. So in addition to the using algorithms to generate the maze, I seek counter measures for each maze-solving algorithm.

Thank you ^^
I would add to your list : Buckblog: Maze Generation: Algorithm Recap which is awesome to see different algorithms and especially Buckblog: Maze Generation: Growing Tree algorithm (the code basis i used to build this one). I am not over skilled but if i can give a hand to help to your anticheat, i’ll be please to try to figure what i can do to improve your system.( I wonder if the braid system is not a first step to bother maze solvers.)

Hey Fen,

Really great stuff! Was looking for something quick like this I could use for my game to generate some randomness.
I’m trying to reconstruct your tutorial and implement the Growing Tree algorithm into my game, but I wasn’t able to finish it as I couldn’t find any documentation for the “Check and Set” function inside the “Set Opened” function. Did I miss something? Right now my generated maze doesn’t have any open area , just a grid of interlocking meshes. I am guessing it might be because of that function? Still trying to understand everything.

The link to download the blueprint is broken as well on that page so I couldn’t see from that :frowning: any chance you have a copy around still?

Also I was curious any reason why you switched from the Binary Tree Algorithm to the Growing Tree Algorithm instead?

Thanks for this and any help you can provide!

Wow I like it, I always wanted a cool maze game… gonna look into this for sure.

Yes please, anyone can upload it again? Thanks!!! :slight_smile:

Interesting, my personal favorite from that list is definitely the Hunt & Kill algorithm, and seems like it would be pretty easy to implement, I’ll play around with it this week.

Hey, could you maybe share a new link. I really like the idea =D

Hey, did anyone find out anything about the “check and set” function inside the “set opened” function? I have followed all the steps in the guide but i can’t figure out how to set up the “check and set” function and so the maze won’t work.

new link for blueprints?

Hello,
No sorry, but you have all the working mechanics as a picture tutorial to be able to set yours.

Edit : about check and set missing pic. here is it.

checkandset.jpg