Sample Project to destroy Destructible Mesh with Line Trace and Ball projectile

Hi Everyone!

I setup a sample project to help another user on the forums out and thought this would also be a good place to share in the event anyone is interested. I’ve seen many users ask about getting the projectile with the sample FPS template to work with destruction meshes and using line trace as well. This project has both for your testing needs. :slight_smile:

You will need 4.6 preview or later to use this sample project
Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0am6hatukhldtj9/FPS_DM_Test.zip?dl=0

Overview:

This sample is a setup that has two types of projectiles included.

LMB will fire the line trace weapon that applies a radial damage on hit location
RMB will fire the ball projectile

The two setups in the image are the default settings used for a destruction mesh. The one on the right is setup to take impact damage from the ball projectile mesh.

There are two additional setups to display support chunks working in 4.6 now and one setup to break chunks off the DM cube rather than fully destroy on impact.

Have a look and if you have any questions or need help feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

thanks for the project! Its a lot of fun

Thank you very much for this !
I find it very useful not only for the look at destructible meshes but for the use of line traces aswell :smiley:

Very cool stuff , i will wait 4.6 release for trying it . Thank you so much.

, i don’t know how saying it in english because it’s really hard for me you explain :

A day ; if you have ever free time to do some tutorials like this :

Detect if a wall is small then the character is “crouching” squatting on ?
Detect if the wall is bigger then the character is pressed and remains standing on
Detect if two walls are close then the character can run, move over.
I will not dare to ask to climb on walls because assets in the marketplace…

Maybe like Gear of wars you will understand ? Thank you

Can you help me please?
How do you set up the cube to break chunks off the DM cube rather than fully destroy on impact? I try to replicate it, but with no luck.

Hey Patrik,

No problem. :slight_smile:

Some of this will be determined by how you’ve applying damage to the cube but let’s say for as a starting point that you only want to drop a cube and have it not all break as once. No weapons or anything. Just gravity.

The settings you’ll want to focus on on setting the for impact damage and support depth

Damage Threshold: 1
Impact Damage: 1
Default Impact damage Depth: 1
Support Depth: 1

I don’t have Unreal opened in front of me, but I think that should get you started. The most important part is the support depth. This will keep chunks together that have not received enough force to be broken free.

Give that a shot and let me know. :slight_smile:

That was the problem. Thank you for the solution. :slight_smile:

No problem, Patrik!

Let me know if you have any other questions with Destruction. I don’t mind. :slight_smile:

Does this project still work?