[ALPHA] VIDA - UDK2U4 C++ port

Hello!

My name is Flavio Creasso and I’m an indie dev from Brazil.
Now I’m porting my UDK prototype:

To an U4 (with some luck) Game.

BIG UPDATE 2015: What’s VIDA about?

Well, a lot of time on this, a long path specially by being on this alone, but looks like I’m getting in some way closer to my intent thanks to Unreal easy prototyping features. Most of the game concepts were build uppon a “gamer” point of view, not from a “game designer”, if this will be a bless or a curse just the time and the audience should tell. :smiley:

To begin, the game is built uppon an own new and fresh IP and Universe I would like to say that I got a bit tired from elves and dwarves everywhere, but I must confess that was more because I got afraid of being sued at some point by following some “influences” and get a try on make a tribute misunderstood as copyright infringement. Who knows? LOL

I’m an “experienced” hackslash player and “I am” a bit tired from time sink drop mechanics… I thought about get a movie story as CONAN The Barbarian and turn that scene where Conan finds the Atlantean Sword on a game level and to proceed on the character’s arc Conan should kill skeletons until “drop” the Atlantean to kill the wolves outside the crypt… Wacky huh? Nonsense. On the other hand, on the “real world” anyone can craft a sword if try and get the right tools and materials. So, on VIDA I decided to** untie** the character evolution and fine tunning from simple luck. Every single item can be crafted on the game through a minigame, this way changing pure luck by pure skill.

One thing that amazed me on digital and tabletop RPGs were the mathematic systems behind them, one point here, one point there and through some thinking and manipulation I could deal better with random chances (again changing pure luck by pure skill) so, under the hood VIDA has a complete system to allow the player to control his chances on the game.

While showing the game on a conference I got a lot of feedback about how some players would like to interact with NPCs on deeper ways, the importance of dialogue, and such things. There are lot of ways to show dialogue on games, but one thing I would like to try is turn the game dialogue into something the player would link with an H.Q. and not as a movie. Lots of theory/experimentalism/guessing on this, but I think movie like dialogues are more “flow like”, meaning that a pause to pick the next option on the screen (you need to read, think about reactions, choose) completelly breaks the entire cinematic dialogue intentions. On the other hand, on HQs language your mindset is “pre-prepared” to read, and the choice on proceed to the next frame is yours “turn like”. This system also allow me to use different shapes and colors to both text and balloons (Sandman HQs like) what also helps to express emotions, some character’s personalities within a more or less “already known” iconography.

My last efforts are on bring a new way to combat on these games (heavy influenced by hours and hours on Dark Souls LOL), I can’t completelly to describe the click duel system now, but let’s just say that will go a bit beyound simple clicking the target and waiting to see what your character will do.

There are more things I would like to show, but I think a gameplay video will be a lot better than just screens and words… I’m working on this now. :smiley:

Thank you by the visit.

Done!

I’ll work on the sample code (cleaning and improving comments) and tutorial and post it soon.

As I said…

TUTORIAL C++ Runtime Async Load Modular Character (Intermediate)

Enjoy!

Nice work, thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

Forge Minigame

Hi…

Long time without updates, well, doing lots of things, but nothing deserving a post.
On the last week I’ve been working on a Forge Minigame, it’s my first attempt on merge C++ and BPs and looks like it works. :smiley:
Here is a shot from what I got until now:

To short, it’s an Actor I can place on villages that will carry out an entire minigame to craft items, saving the result to the Player Inventory.

I also did a small video from it working (the sound is a mock): Brazilian Fanpage Video

Now I’m just waiting for some UMG good docs and tutorials to make the HUD dependant gameplay (set materials used on craft, drag-drop)…

Does anyone knows if 4.5 release will also come with these docs? Since it’s default now… :smiley:

Regards!

Began the UIs implementation (now that UMG left Experimental stage).

Really amazing tool!

Update: UI on UMG, still on it…

Inventory ready! (Hacked as hell, but works LOL).

Parabéns cara ! Acompanho o projeto desde o começo ! Estou muito feliz com a evolução do projeto.

Uuuhhh, I remember this from the UDK forum!

Glad to hear that you’re still working on it because it looks promising, very nice job mate :slight_smile:

Nice to hear you are back on this, was always wondering what happened to this! Keep it up.

@HenriqueGomez: Valeu! Vamos ver se agora vai!

@Nicolas3D & TheAgent: Thanks guys, well, I got a bad time, lots of RL, a huge class/race redesign, plus lots of things to “relearn/rewrite” on U4.

On the previous implementantion I just got some “real” progress after get inventory working (a must have to any RPG as you know), looks like I’m almost reaching the point where the UDK version stall. I hope the AI system got not so much changes. LOL

Thanks by the visit! :smiley:

I confess, when I heard about we don’t getting GFX anymore I got scared, now I’m on peace again (thanks to continuous discussion with the UMG guys LOL).

806874a08fca2cc9742a5bdadb5616c0983fcb18.jpeg

Some improvements not present on UDK version! Skillbar is on sync with choices from skilltree!

Here we go… Graphic Novel Dialogue System

Implementing the dialogue system… Sorta of troubles on get my baloons to work… :frowning:

f961f1cbdedf825051df0e90cdc184af61d16b4c.jpeg

The trouble is, I couldn’t find an event by widget that controls/detects Viewport resizes, so, unless I implement one I’ll need to TickUpdate the baloon arrow (by now) or let this pass:

9071e6fb7ba903223ffdad352c4bbcb34df2f4e9.jpeg

But at least “roughly” it works… LOL

It’s shop implementation time, but first got a merchant…

I thought about some insistence on sell a carpet first. :smiley:

Systems almost up, now it’s time to start bringing some old assets back…

61a7dabc2dc784e76451b514bcb0e01e63b9ec16.jpeg

Sad that emissive static light does’t works with skeletal meshes, should be great… :frowning:

Very nice job, and great progress!

Thanks @TheAgent

I’m almost getting crazy, 6 months watching this same level (the dummy one made to implement features) again, again and again. I’m almost stoping a bit implementation and making another one just to keep sanity. LOL

Habemus Foundry Minigame! :smiley:

The idea is allow the player to also influence on the materials quality that will be used on his/her further crafts.

b80e10b8c2100f0e5c3e048d7760bc7ae9ae14af.jpeg

Since it’s “kind” of a new thing, I’ve implemented an option to show some basic tips to guide the proccess…

Sidenote: UMG guys did an amazing job on the tool. LOL

Liked your funny presentations. Also nice feeling of the game :smiley: