Getting hired being non-EU

Hello!

Let me first introduce myself for better understanding of my question.

I’m a student from Moscow and at the moment I do my diploma thesis in “” (Research Centre “”), Germany. Actually, it’s an 8 months contract which expires on the next February and I’m back to Moscow. My speciality is particle accelerator physics. Actually, I develop analysis software for physicists.

I tried gamedev in high-school. There was some progress and I liked the process of developing very much. It is almost a fortuity I’m in physics now. But on my last courses in university I decided that I want to develop games in future (particularly, programming gameplay). So to get a job after graduation I work on my game when I have a time. My plan is to make some gameplay demo to the end of this year and use it as my portfolio.

In Moscow and in Russia at all there aren’t much studios where I would like to work, so I want to get back to Germany work there.

My question is to those who work in a gamedev studio in Germany or in another EU country: do you have foreigners in your studious, particularly those who were hired from Russia? And how do you estimate my chances of being hired as a foreigner in case I fit all the job requirements?

Please, share your experience. I would appreciate that much.

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry, this is a copy of my message from International forum. I decided here is the right place.

I don’t know about EU, but many countries give tax breaks to developers that hire locally based on some kind of terms. Many also prefer to hire local since it’s easier. If you have the skills though I think the main obstacle is actually moving to a place that allows you to move and work there.

In game development excellence is a key point when hiring, it matters less where are you from. Many company will also arrange your Visa and your travel cost. Another option is trying to find a remote position, this way the company pays you each month and you have to pay taxes in your origin country, like freelance work, this is a model that http://www.slightlymadstudios.com/ or http://www.facepunchstudios.com/ uses.

In summary: if you are very good you will find someone that wants to hire you.

In general remote development is on the rise so it’s something to consider.

I’ve freelanced a few times and my commute to work involved a house coat, fuzzy bunny slippers and a cup of coffee. :wink:

If not sure freelancing is a good option.

Thanks for encouraging!