Anyone knows if the speed of "cook task" is dependent on the android phone or PC CPU?

I could swear that cook task took really long for my nexus 4 as opposed to doing it for the PC

But I could be wrong need someone to clarify this for me.

When it was done the file was already installed as a game on my nexus 4.

did you post in the wrong forums again… WalkingDead :rolleyes:

I think you’re looking for the android types again. :wink:

Its done on your PC, I guess it takes longer because its actually recompressing stuff instead of just passing through to the packager.

Hi thanks can you tell me if there is anyway to speed up the cook process?

any settings I can adjust etc?

As Mikand79 mentioned, it’s all done on PC.

When you cook for PC, most of the assets are already cooked since you had the editor open (that cooked them!) :slight_smile: Are you on 4.5?

To make it run faster, get a faster PC (SSD instead of spinny disk, more RAM, faster CPU, I don’t think the GPU is involved but it may be.)
If that’s not an option, then reducing the resolution of textures and other assets will make the cook process do less work and thus finish faster.

^^ Hi RCaloca yes I am using version 4.5 offcourse my PC is below requirements as I have a dual core Pentium G 3220 haswell CPU. Which may be the culprit I suspect.

I want to maybe get a core 3.6GHZ intel core i3 which acts as a quad core. The i5 are so expensive!! I am a student and thus am not rich :frowning: but I thinks I can manage with the pentium G sure some games take 3 hours to cook but it can be done. I hope during the project and design of the game this CPU does not become a major problem.

I have a 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM DDR3 but I have a old stick of 2GB lying around maybe I should put that in the PC

thanks for the advice jwatte

not sure why but in all engines I tried building for arm always takes a lot more time than for x86

atm i’m just doing some simple testing using my tablet and deploying straight from the build/play option , the first time took about 10 mins , but since then it only takes a few mins. i admit i’m only using the 3rd person template with a few extra bits, so not to bad

Two of the more expensive parts of cooking for another platform are compressing the textures in a platform-specific format and generating/compiling shaders for materials. We store the results of these steps in something called the Derived Data Cache (DDC), which lets subsequent cooks do less work if the assets haven’t changed. However, the first time you cook for a platform, this can take a decent amount of time, especially if you are doing all texture formats for Android instead of just ETC1. In most cases I’d recommend doing just ETC1, as it’ll take less time and generate a smaller APK that will transfer/install faster as well.

One other gotcha (which shouldn’t affect most people in practice) is that we flush entries older than 34 days from the DDC, so if you don’t work on a project for a few months and then come back to it, you might have one slow cook before it’s speedier again.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

thanks Michael, little tips/insights like these go a long way for us to help understand whats going on :slight_smile:

you know funny I was I google this same thing and found this thread. But had not realized I asked this question already and got a response for Michael.

Thanks btw.