Engine Features Preview - 10/16

We’re excited to share a few of the new features now available on the Master branch on GitHub. To be able to try out these new features, you will need to download the source code for the Master branch and build the Engine yourself. For more information about how to build the Engine from source code, please see this page. The Master branch on GitHub is constantly being updated and is not quality tested so it may be potentially unstable. We do not recommend using the Master branch for project development. If you wish to wait, these features will be made available to all in an upcoming official release.

Engine News

New Features
Import Transforms for Meshes
Recently we have added import transforms to the mesh import process!
The following section has been added to the import window:

1.jpg&stc=1

These values will be applied to the mesh as it is imported. The mesh will not inherently have a scale, the vert positions will be transformed before importing.
For skeletal meshes the geometry is imported in this way too but the skeleton has the transform applied to the root.

The transform will be stored in the import settings of the asset and can be edited in either the static mesh editor or Persona.
Any changes to the values will be reapplied when the asset is reimported using the reimport asset commands/actions.

In case of problems leaving the transform blank should always work as no transform is applied to the mesh or skeleton.

Window Menu and Asset Context Menu Updates
The main toolbar Window menu and the Content Browser asset context menus have recently been reorganized!
Window Menu

&stc=1

Asset Context Menu

&stc=1

Misc.
Editor

•      Volumes are now not automatically assigned a layer based on the brush builder name upon creation.

•      Added an SWebBrowser widget - displays a web page and allows for some optional controls. Added initialization and update of Web Browser module to Slate Application so that each web browser window doesn't have to manage this individually.

•      Adding external link indicator to tutorial hyperlinks Slate changes: Allowed hyperlink decorator and hyperlink run to be more easily derived from by moving some functions/variables to protected.

•      Allowed transparency in web browser windows and improved viewport resizing Allow user to choose whether transparency is used for individual browser windows. 

•      Added _DEPRECATED to both GRHIFeatureLevel and GRHIShaderPlatform, to indicate that they shouldn't be used any more. Added documentation to describe why this has been done.

•      The Super Search suggestions list now anchors itself to the bottom right (rather than the bottom left) of the text box that spawns it - this should prevent it from extending beyond the bounds of the window that owns it.

**Behaviour Trees **

•      Breaking behaviour tree links is now undo-able Added transactions for link breaking actions.

Texture Editor

•      Renamed all occurrences of the text "LOD Group" to "Texture Group" .

Will it be possible to set import transforms default? I have been waiting for this one since the launch of UE, if I could set the defaults to match my DCC (Cinema4D) that would be awesome (rather than having to change it for every asset I import).

[]
Added an SWebBrowser widget - displays a web page and allows for some optional controls. Added initialization and update of Web Browser module to Slate Application so that each web browser window doesn’t have to manage this individually.
[/]

Curious to know if you ended up basing SWebBrowser on Chromium or Webkit?

Are you able to watch videos through the SWebBrowser?

[=supermario6532;165015]
Curious to know if you ended up basing SWebBrowser on Chromium or Webkit?
[/]

It’s based on Chromium.

[=supermario6532;165015]
Are you able to watch videos through the SWebBrowser?
[/]

The Chromium integration is still early. I’m not sure if video playback has been tested, but that is definitely one of our goals for it.

[]
It’s based on Chromium.
[/]

That’s great, as it seems like there are more developers working on Chromium (Google, Opera, Qt) than Webkit these days.

[]
I’m not sure if video playback has been tested, but that is definitely one of our goals for it.
[/]

Happy to hear this as well. Thanks for 's hard work on this awesome feature!

Wow … I think this feature:

[]

• Added an SWebBrowser widget - displays a web page and allows for some optional controls. Added initialization and update of Web Browser module to Slate Application so that each web browser window doesn’t have to manage this individually.
    [/]

… is one of the best for me. Thanks. 8-}