User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SubSide - Dev progress

Champion

SubSide - Dev progress

A lot has changed since my first "Ocean storm WIP" post, this went from an experiment to a full game in development, SubSide will be all about exploring a dark and open ocean with an emphasis on atmosphere, story and immersion for both VR and non VR, i'm aiming for a strong cinematic feel with satisfying gameplay elements, i'm working solo on this so it might take a while, make sure to read the latest posts to keep track of my progress

Be warned however, this thread contains a lot of animated gifs

Last edited by eXi; 05-23-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Champion
    Started to work on Lightnings, still needs a lot of work, trying to learn how to use the particles

Added SSS to my material, i wanted my ocean to be dark so i added just a bit of variation to the tones

SSS WIP
    Last edited by KhenaB; 10-30-2015 at 11:07 PM.

That looks really awesome, love it.

Looks really nice, make the floating objects to be carried away by the waves.
    Last edited by Errvald; 10-03-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Lightning looks awesome!
    Mind sharing your blueprints or your material layouts for the water? Would love to get an idea of how you do it.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Errvald View Post
    Looks really nice, make the floating objects to be carried away by the waves.
    Stuff will definitely get carried away eventually

Quote Originally Posted by dreampunchboy View Post
    Mind sharing your blueprints or your material layouts for the water? Would love to get an idea of how you do it.
    I can't share my work directly but i can break it down for you

First thing i did was follow Handkor's tutorial on how to make the waves, it was a bit difficult to follow for a UE4 newbie like me but he goes through everything in detail

The rest of the material is really simple, i have a bunch of normals layered together, a simple diffuse color and foam texture, for the random whitecaps it's just a foam texture being masked, you can see how it's done in UE4's M_Water_Ocean, SSS was borrowed from VaOcean and then modified to my taste, there is still a lot of work to do but i'm learning a lot of stuff at once

Here's what it looks like

Last edited by KhenaB; 10-15-2014 at 06:53 PM.

This is pretty awesome!

For some reason i imagine this is how a level looks like in the background whenever the editor crashes.

Awesome work dude! What hardware are you running this on and at what resolution?

UE Community Manager
    You *almost* have enough FPS in that video

Killer work!
    Twitter [@iveytron + @UnrealEngine] YouTube [/unrealengine] Twitch [/unrealengine]

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KoldKam View Post
    Awesome work dude! What hardware are you running this on and at what resolution?
    I'm running this on a GTX 670, a typical mid range system, when working with the Oculus Rift performance is the priority, sub 75 fps in stereo 1080p is not an option

Mythic

Nice work man! You've got a cool looking weather setup going on, really feels like you are in a storm watching the video. Looks great!
    [Free Community Project/Plugin] WIP Dynamic Ocean & Calendar Based Sky
    New Features:: Highly accurate sun/moon position, and lunar phase calculations built into the plugin (base class for the SkyDome blueprint)
    In Progress: Weather simulation w/ volumetric clouds

That just looks amazing! This for a game? Or are you just enjoying yourself? :P

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dreampunchboy View Post
    That just looks amazing! This for a game? Or are you just enjoying yourself? :P

This is for my next Oculus Rift project as mentioned in my original post

But i'm definitely enjoying myself

Champion
    Here's an update for those who are interested in seeing progress, still no proper whitecaps/splashes, this turns out to be really challenging
    Last edited by KhenaB; 11-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Wow, that is simply amazing, Just fantastic work!

Looks amazing. You can also try to implement Fast Fourier Transform instead of Grestner Wave equation , for even more realism.

Wilson!! Wiilsoooon! No! Wil sa on on.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by breese45 View Post
    Wilson!! Wiilsoooon! No! Wil sa on on.
    hahaha, i also get some Cast Away vibes from my scene

Quote Originally Posted by sameek4 View Post
    Looks amazing. You can also try to implement Fast Fourier Transform instead of Grestner Wave equation , for even more realism.
    I chose Gerstner because i'm really bad at math/programming and Handkor's tutorial was my only chance at getting this to work, but eventually i'm going to learn and make my own stuff, i find it really interesting and i'm learning pretty fast

Also performance is really important for my project so Gerstner is a good choice, but i agree that FFT really looks amazing, i have used it in the past to make CG oceans

Thank you all for the encouragement

Promoter
    Its looking rather nice!

Keep it up
    [On Hold]WIP: Vertex-Based Ledge Detection/Parkour Engine

Looking for fellow programmers to have some fun, PM me!

Really Dang cool. Love to see this in the oculus. Don't know how long I'd last, but what an experience. Shipwrecked! On top of all your technical excellence, it's got a really perfectly toned moodiness; loneliness. Music and sound effects = well done. One thing that would put this over-the-top is if when the edge of the raft dipped below the water and came back up, it grabbed some water or spray or both. That'd be cool! (of course this is me, noob-city, describing something that is incredibly difficult to pull off)
    Keep plugin dude.
    Last edited by breese45; 10-08-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by breese45 View Post
    One thing that would put this over-the-top is if when the edge of the raft dipped below the water and came back up, it grabbed some water or spray or both. That'd be cool!
    Actually this is what i'm working on right now, Whitecaps, splashes etc

I already have the buoyancy code in place that i could use to tell the actor to trigger a particle effect once when reaching the above water state!

Also thanks to DotCam, i might be able to pull off Translucency, it would add a lot to the scene

Holy Cow.. That is beautiful! BTW is that a song from the Oblivion soundtrack I hear?

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Arixsus View Post
    Holy Cow.. That is beautiful! BTW is that a song from the Oblivion soundtrack I hear?
    The song is Two Steps From Hell - Freedom Fighters (Invincible)

Quote Originally Posted by KhenaB View Post
    hahaha, i also get some Cast Away vibes from my scene

I chose Gerstner because i'm really bad at math/programming and Handkor's tutorial was my only chance at getting this to work, but eventually i'm going to learn and make my own stuff, i find it really interesting and i'm learning pretty fast

Also performance is really important for my project so Gerstner is a good choice, but i agree that FFT really looks amazing, i have used it in the past to make CG oceans

Thank you all for the encouragement

I implemented Gerstner Equation ansd result looks great , but I wanted to experiment myself and so implementing Fast Fourier transform now , Handkor's tutorial taught me lots of things to get started with this. But tell me one thing , if I want to do all the mathematics in my Watermesh Blueprint construction script , find out the summation of wave heights) in nested for loop(which goes , e.g 512x512 times for M=N=512) , and assign the result in a Vector variable , create a dynamic instance of the material and pass the variable as a parameter to it , will it work ? The material will have that param value assigned to World displacement node.

Actually as you can see , it is not possible to manually create 512x512 instances of wave height and find the sum , Handkor did for 8 Grestner Vectors , so he was able to manually do it inside the material itself.
    Last edited by sameek4; 10-09-2014 at 03:22 AM.

The song is Two Steps From Hell - Freedom Fighters (Invincible)
    Ah, it hits some similar notes to that of a few songs in Oblivion (The movie. Not the Elder Scrolls Game xD), but in any case Two Steps from Hell is just as good

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sameek4 View Post
    I implemented Gerstner Equation ansd result looks great , but I wanted to experiment myself and so implementing Fast Fourier transform now , Handkor's tutorial taught me lots of things to get started with this. But tell me one thing , if I want to do all the mathematics in my Watermesh Blueprint construction script , find out the summation of wave heights) in nested for loop(which goes , e.g 512x512 times for M=N=512) , and assign the result in a Vector variable , create a dynamic instance of the material and pass the variable as a parameter to it , will it work ? The material will have that param value assigned to World displacement node.

Actually as you can see , it is not possible to manually create 512x512 instances of wave height and find the sum , Handkor did for 8 Grestner Vectors , so he was able to manually do it inside the material itself.
    You should ask Handkor himself or other people with more technical knowledge around the forum, i'm still learning Blueprint and the material editor, i have not yet used parameters to send information from Blueprints to the material editor, the method that i used was entirely made with material functions, while they are a bit similar i'm not sure of what can or can't be done yet

But let us know if you get it to work

Champion
    Added translucency

This
    is how i fixed the Depth Buffer issue that prevented me from using a transparent surface

Mythic

Added translucency

This
    is how i fixed the Depth Buffer issue that prevented me from using a transparent surface
    Looks great Khena! Great to hear the fix worked out for you as well.
    [Free Community Project/Plugin] WIP Dynamic Ocean & Calendar Based Sky
    New Features:: Highly accurate sun/moon position, and lunar phase calculations built into the plugin (base class for the SkyDome blueprint)
    In Progress: Weather simulation w/ volumetric clouds

Banned
    This is looking great! I can't wait to see when it's done!

Unreal Engine Support
    Fantastic work KhenaB! I am always excited to see new ocean projects. Keep up the great work and be sure to keep us updated on any progress made with your project!

looks like real ocean I can't believe you did that in one week,outstanding work

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by b25 View Post
    looks like real ocean I can't believe you did that in one week,outstanding work
    I want to know how, and i want epic to get this in the engine.
    Keep up the awsome work, am realy gelus any chance this will be released to the community?

Look great, I'm curious to see what happens in nice daylight, keep it up , It's beautiful , I like the atmosphere that emerges
    Last edited by ChrisTm; 10-14-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTm View Post
    Look great, I'm curious to see what happens in nice daylight, keep it up , It's beautiful , I like the atmosphere that emerges
    This isn't a water simulation shader, it could be made to match any type of lighting but it would require some parameter tweak, i'm just trying to make the displaced mesh look like water and match my scene by eye

Quote Originally Posted by WCode View Post
    I want to know how, and i want epic to get this in the engine.
    Keep up the awsome work, am realy gelus any chance this will be released to the community?
    It has already been released for free by Handkor in a tutorial video that i linked above, this is how i did it

I'm not hiding any secrets from the community, if you have any questions just ask away

How intensive is your tessellation and what kind of performance loss do you get for having two planes to fix the depth sorting?

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MuchToLearn View Post
    How intensive is your tessellation and what kind of performance loss do you get for having two planes to fix the depth sorting?
    It's hard to tell how intensive the tessellation alone is, but having a second tessellated plane with translucency versus opaque drops my performance by 5-10%

The depth buffer trick has introduced another issue where my translucent particles are being rendered behind my ocean material

Edit: The sorting was easily fixed with an option called Translucency sort priority which can be found in the details panel of meshes or particles placed in the level, hidden under rendering, it can also be found in the details panel of a Blueprint component
    Last edited by KhenaB; 10-15-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Champion
    I went out last weekend to photograph some new water textures and made some Normals out of them today, here is a comparison between the old Normals and the new ones

Old bottom left / New upper right

New Normals

Still missing proper Whitecaps but this is just an example to show how critical it is to choose the right Normal maps when it comes to lighting

Unreal Engine Developer
    This looks awesome! It would be cool to get he white froth changing over time, that would really set it off.

Keep it up!!

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Caudle View Post
    It would be cool to get the white froth changing over time
    Absolutely, Dynamic Froth and realistic Whitecaps are on my priority list, i was supposed to start working on that today but i ended up being distracted by this cool new feature that i found out about, UE4 is so much fun

I started to work on some cool dynamic camera droplets, i'm not sure this will end up in my final project but the effect is pretty amazing inside the Rift, thanks to Crow87 for the shader example

Promoter
    That looks stunning! Its definitely an effect that raises the quality and immersion, a lot.
    Do you have the link to the documentation / forum thread about the 'dynamic camera droplets'?
    [On Hold]WIP: Vertex-Based Ledge Detection/Parkour Engine

Looking for fellow programmers to have some fun, PM me!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast