Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UE4 Roadmap

UE General Manager

UE4 Roadmap

Today we’ve made our engine roadmap public for everyone to see. This guide represents where our team is spending energy on specific Unreal Engine 4 features to give you a better sense of what’s happening here at Epic.

Our hope with being more transparent in our development processes is that we’ll generate more value for developers working with UE4, both in understanding what’s likely to appear in upcoming releases and also in having more context around how the engine is being built (and a little bit of the why).

As a disclaimer, anything listed in the current version may not actually make it into the engine as planned today; we may run into complications that push out a feature, or we may have reason to stop working on it altogether. Items in our backlog may never see the light of day either, as they are simply ideas we’ve discussed but haven’t yet figured out if or how they would best fit into the engine. While we intend for most items on the roadmap to end up surfacing as estimated, we want to make it clear that there is no guarantee of a feature being added to the engine even if it’s currently listed.

That being said, there are many upgrades and fixes going into the engine which are not represented here. We shipped 100+ improvements in the 4.1 update a month after UE4’s launch, so the engine is rapidly and continually evolving. What we’re sharing is a high-level view of how we are extending UE4 at this very moment and what we plan to do next.

We’re taking a flexible and lightweight approach with the roadmap given that priorities often change and there are unpredictable opportunities that arise on a regular basis. The sweet spot for us seems to be around 3-4 months of planning at any given time, with a few longer term efforts that gently break that rule (our parallel rendering efforts are a good example of that today). As such you’ll see the most detail and confidence on the roadmap for tasks in the next 1-2 months. Entries further down the timeline become representations of our intent today and will likely shift as we finish each month.

We intentionally focus on defining the bigger feature work for our roadmap and leave the details of bug fixing and smaller tasks in our bug tracking software. The engine is quite large these days which means there’s always a tremendous amount being developed, and it can be challenging to meaningfully communicate that work to a broad audience. Our roadmap serves to share the mid-to-high level development efforts in a way that is easy to digest and provides context, especially for those not directly working on a particular area. Trello helps us with this approach given that it’s great for sharing the breadth of a project, and if you try to insert too much detail it quickly bogs down.

This is one step of many we plan to take to build full transparency around our development process. It’s important to us that we’re building what developers want and need to ship their own successful projects, and steps like these will facilitate a better ongoing conversation about what that ends up being.

This is an experiment for us and as such it’s important that we get your feedback on what we’re doing – vote on features you’re excited about, send us comments on things that seem confusing or unclear, and better yet let us know what you think should be on the roadmap that isn’t already.

Thank you for helping us build a better UE4!
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 08-02-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Samaritan
    Thanks for this. At the moment, Epic and UE4 is a pure joy for indie game developers. Hope you can keep it up

Patron
    Thanks, i love Unreal Engine 4 and his developers!
    Unreal Engine 4 - best support, best technology, best of the best for indie game developers!

Samaritan
    This is simply great, thank you very much!!

Promoter

This is an awesome move, exemplary!

Yay! Trello!

Also trello is another good way of getting or encouraging feeback. We can "vote" on new features. Which can help shift priorities if needed.

Good job guys! this is why i am picking UE4 over unity/CE3!

Yet another epic move from Epic.

Nice, this is awesome to see. Lots of stuff planned for the rendering department
    Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

This is great news! Thanks for the insight.

Did you deactivate commenting on purpose?

Very nice and impressive list! i'm just getting familiar with blueprints and had an idea that being able to write math expressions into the nodes would be useful and I'm very glad to find it on the list . I actually would like if blueprints turned into a visual/normal script hybrids where we can write in simple expressions, be it pseudo code, js or python. (besides the planned math expressions we could use it for conditionals, loops etc)

Quote Originally Posted by mzprox View Post
    I actually would like if blueprints turned into a visual/normal script hybrids where we can write in simple expressions, be it pseudo code, js or python. (besides the planned math expressions we could use it for conditionals, loops etc)
    Yes. Math nodes will be great. It will be nice to have a single node for an expression that requires a long line of nodes currently.

But I don't see the benefit of script nodes to be honest. Quite the contrary, if you could have script nodes, the flow of your graph becomes much harder to "read". Math nodes will just get rid of some of the unnecessarily long chains of operations, but not change the nodes that execute things.

By the way, this has been discussed previously:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ht=script+node
    Last edited by Bajee; 05-07-2014 at 02:59 PM.

UE General Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajee View Post
    This is great news! Thanks for the insight.

Did you deactivate commenting on purpose?
    We thought to keep feedback here in the forums at first, although if there's a lot of interest in commenting directly in Trello cards then we're open to the idea.

UE General Manager
    Yes. Math nodes will be great. It will be nice to have a single node for an expression that requires a long line of nodes currently.

But I don't see the benefit of script nodes to be honest. Quite the contrary, if you could have script nodes, the flow of your graph becomes much harder to "read". Math nodes will just get rid of some of the unnecessarily long chains of operations, but not change the nodes that execute things.

By the way, this has been discusser previously:
    From a development point of view you're generally better off picking one or the other - embedding code inside a visual scripting system can be useful in a pinch but has some trade-offs as you continue to build your project. That being said this seems like a great community project if one wanted to start a fork on github.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    We thought to keep feedback here in the forums at first, although if there's a lot of interest in commenting directly in Trello cards then we're open to the idea.
    I personally think simple Nay or Yay voting would be better. Best with publicly knowing who is voting. So less trolling (;.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    I just thought it would be a more direct way of commenting some of the topics. I wouldn't want to open an entire thread for these things. But I would also understand if you didn't want an additional channel to monitor and moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by iniside View Post
    I personally think simple Nay or Yay voting would be better. Best with publicly knowing who is voting. So less trolling (;.
    That's how it is now. I already voted on my favorites. Linux Editor and Physics improvements, yay

Patron
    It just keeps getting better and better!!
    Thanks Epic!

Unreal Engine Developer
    RE: commenting. Not allowing public commenting provides us with the ability to provide updates on progress via comments... or at least leaves us with the option to do so. We can always re-evaluate but didn't want to shut that door.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Vogel View Post
    RE: commenting. Not allowing public commenting provides us with the ability to provide updates on progress via comments... or at least leaves us with the option to do so. We can always re-evaluate but didn't want to shut that door.
    Good call, perhaps you could link a forum post in the trello cards, and keep the trello comments to just updates?

Promoter
    Good move, I like Trello a lot, nice tool to use and very useful to share a roadmap!

Couple of things on my wishlist:

-Materials that can emit light used by lightmass (think neon letters). Right now the emissive only works as a screen effect and doesn't really emit light into the environment. This was a great feature of UE3 that's not in UE4.
    -I'd really like to see real time GI, I couldn't see that as an item and was disappointed that it's not even on the roadmap (even if current machines can't handle it properly), give that it was supposed to be one of the main features of UE4.
    Last edited by Crozzfire; 05-07-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Veteran
    Nice idea

This kind of customer interaction you guys have provided since the UE4 release is unparalleled by any other software maker.

Thank You Epic for being AMAZING!

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crozzfire View Post
    Couple of things on my wishlist:

-Materials that can emit light used by lightmass (think neon letters). Right now the emissive only works as a screen effect and doesn't really emit light into the environment. This was a great feature of UE3 that's not in UE4.
    -I'd really like to see real time GI, I couldn't see that as an item and was disappointed that it's not even on the roadmap (even if current machines can't handle it properly), give that it was supposed to be one of the main features of UE4.
    LPV (Light Propagation Volumes) from Lionhead (see http://www.lionhead.com/blog/2014/ap...fable-legends/) makes GI possible and it's on the list. It also also takes into account emitted light.

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr View Post
    LPV (Light Propagation Volumes) from Lionhead (see http://www.lionhead.com/blog/2014/ap...fable-legends/) makes GI possible and it's on the list. It also also takes into account emitted light.
    That's great!! Covers both my concerns then, it seems. It got my vote.

#Ray Davis.

Does dynamic fracturing feature also include plans on to implement dynamic "slicing"?
    I've seen that you just added PhysX Voronoi to U4, if you also adds Slicing... OMG

Infiltrator
    Thank you so much for this humbling addition to the Unreal community. Stuff like this will really set Unreal Engine 4 apart from the other options, and secure a faithful and dedicated community. Thanks so much for pioneering this type of community for a game engine of this calibre!

Much <3

You guys rock so hard. Here's to a more open future in the game industry!

Regarding the commenting on Trello tickets - Might I suggest providing a link to a forum thread in the Trello ticket header for people to discuss collectively outside of Trello?

I'm glad to see that the large world coordinates feature is currently sitting as the highest voted feature! Pity its on the backlog though. I just hope its done properly through 64-bit (double) floating point coordinates as I'm almost certain the majority of the developers waiting on that would be wanting the capability of multiplayer large worlds, which aren't possible with the cell/block coordinate system I see Epic are currently considering.

Unreal Motion Graphics / Slate visual editor? all my YES

Infiltrator
    Very nice! Already took the time to vote for items

Funny to see how some Backlog items are voted on quite a lot by the community.

Infiltrator
    Cascade 2.0 in list Effects

Description
    'Niagara' prototype
    Node-based editor for artist authored behavior script
    Yes, please.

Jeez, Epic! This is unprecedented. The level of openness towards and trust in your community is truly an example for all other engine providers (and software makers in general) to follow. It's going to be hard for other companies to do what you guys are doing, but I think you will demonstrate a level of success and achievement with this business model that they will be left with no choice. Kudos!

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by creasso View Post
    #Ray Davis.

Does dynamic fracturing feature also include plans on to implement dynamic "slicing"?
    I've seen that you just added PhysX Voronoi to U4, if you also adds Slicing... OMG
    I'm curious about that as well. Slicing would be cool too, This is what popped into mind though:

Is Paul Meegan around?

Some suggestions for the forums: support for [spoiler] [/spoiler] tag
    Increase PM character limit from 5000, Increase Inbox storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Shannon View Post
    Jeez, Epic! This is unprecedented. The level of openness towards and trust in your community is truly an example for all other engine providers (and software makers in general) to follow. It's going to be hard for other companies to do what you guys are doing, but I think you will demonstrate a level of success and achievement with this business model that they will be left with no choice. Kudos!
    Agreed, I was hoping they would open a road map and have voting. Kind of glad there's no down voting, that might get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Richmond View Post
    Regarding the commenting on Trello tickets - Might I suggest providing a link to a forum thread in the Trello ticket header for people to discuss collectively outside of Trello?

I'm glad to see that the large world coordinates feature is currently sitting as the highest voted feature! Pity its on the backlog though. I just hope its done properly through 64-bit (double) floating point coordinates as I'm almost certain the majority of the developers waiting on that would be wanting the capability of multiplayer large worlds, which aren't possible with the cell/block coordinate system I see Epic are currently considering.
    Yeah, a forum topic for each ticket would be cool, new subforum? Also agree that while I want massive open worlds support, it needs to handle multiplayer.

I remember an old post inspirational post on Mark Rosa's blog, will see if I can find it.
    Edit: found it. Actually lots of inspirational posts there(granted his system is based on Voxels and probably isn't helpful in this case).
    Full Solar System with the ability to land anywhere Part 1
    Full Solar System with the ability to land anywhere Part 2

-Xod
    Last edited by Xodroc; 05-07-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: More Replies!

Samaritan
    I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty sure I speak for most of the entire independent game development community (large and small) when I say /fap.

Quote Originally Posted by creasso View Post
    I think that "just" means that you'll be able to fracture a mesh at runtime. Slicing sounds like a different problem altogether.

I'm a little bit surprised thought to find this item on the roadmap. I tought it was already possible today. Reading through the documentation I found that you could create a UDestructibleMesh from a UStaticMesh. There are also methods like BuildFromStaticMesh and FinishDestroy, which I thought could be used at runtime to basically fracture a static mesh. I didn't try myself yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar007 View Post
    Funny to see how some Backlog items are voted on quite a lot by the community.
    That's probably because some of the Wishlist items are the most ambitious ones. They are the most interesting, but difficult to implement ones. I too voted on a few of them

Jeez, Epic! This is unprecedented. The level of openness towards and trust in your community is truly an example for all other engine providers (and software makers in general) to follow.
    So true. I wish others would follow too. I kind of got used to Apple's approach to developers during my years of iOS development. They release one major iOS update per year, along with some (addmittedly high quality) keynote videos. But then, you're on your own. You don't hear anything from them for a year, unless you're a VIP from EA or something. A technical support incident will set you back $50 and it takes a week for them to contact you. I've never seen a single engineer of them on their This is probably not the fairest comparison, because Apple probably has to deal with a lot more developers and their issues. But still, just the amount of support we get from Epic is already worth the $20/month imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Xodroc View Post
    I'm curious about that as well. Slicing would be cool too, This is what popped into mind though:
    Isn't this already possible though? I'm not sure about the performance, but this seems to be all static fractures. Still impressive of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Xodroc View Post
    Yeah, a forum topic for each ticket would be cool, new subforum?
    Wouldn't it be possible to add a little "discuss" button on each card's back, that would link to a thread in a separate Roadmap forum? If there is no discussion about it yet, it could create a new thread. Otherwise, it could link to the existing thread. Maybe you could ask the Trello guys to implement something like this.

Just a great idea...

Looks like UMG is most demended feature so far

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    Looks like UMG is most demended feature so far
    Games need GUIs Sequencer will be great too, if it remotely looks anything like that concept screenshot they Epic showed in a previous stream.

I'm also surprised Dynamic Fracturing received so many votes. Lots of destructive people on here, like myself

Games need GUIs Sequencer will be great too, if it remotely looks anything like that concept screenshot they Epic showed in a previous stream.

I'm also surprised Dynamic Fracturing received so many votes. Lots of destructive people on here, like myself
    Well it not like you can't do UI today it's simply harder

Infiltrator
    Nice to see the vertex animation on the roadmap. Too bad it's not officially planed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast